Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Headlights always on when ign is in run position

#1 User is offline   Cj7fanQTnot 

• Private
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

1980 CJ7. When I turn ign to run position the headlights come on and the gray with black T and gray with white T that are together get hot where they go into the high beam switch. The White T goes to lights through firewall and the Black T goes back into harness under dash.

This happens even when unplugged. The light indicator comes on but wires do not heat up if the headlight bulbs are disconnected. Relay works and even tried a replacement, no luck. All grounds test strong.

#2 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

If you disconnect the headlight switch do they go off? It has to be either in the headlight switch or the harness that leads to the switch.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#3 User is offline   Cj7fanQTnot 

• Private

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostJeepinIan, on 20 June 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

If you disconnect the headlight switch do they go off? It has to be either in the headlight switch or the harness that leads to the switch.

They stay on with headlight switch disconnected and high beam switch disconnected. the only go off if I disconnect the firewall plug or ignition totally.

#4 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

You have a harness short which needs to be troubleshot manually. Was the wiring harness cut/burned/damaged/altered? Was anything changed between the time it worked correctly and when it started this?
Ian Stewart

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#5 User is offline   Cj7fanQTnot 

• Private

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostJeepinIan, on 20 June 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

You have a harness short which needs to be troubleshot manually. Was the wiring harness cut/burned/damaged/altered? Was anything changed between the time it worked correctly and when it started this?

Nothing that I can tell that is in the headlight or ignition curcuit. Also, as far as I can tell eveything else works properly so I assume it is not talking power from something else that needs it. The only thing I can think is to trace back the the gray and black wire into the harness since that is where the heat comes from. this involves uncovering the whole harness and finding the problem.

I was hoping to avoid that. I am decent at electrical troubleshooting but I think this will take 10 hours if I fly blind. I am wondering if there is a plug that may be melted and jumping or at least be able to eliminate half the harness. The trouble I have is the homebrew hybrid wiring I am dealing with. It is frustrating since it worked before and I didn't plan on it popping up. I knew brakes and carb etc from sitting.

#6 User is offline   Cj7fanQTnot 

• Private

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

the lone wire off the relay connects to the E brack to sense when it is on. The other wires go into the plug for highbeams. The two gray wires put together are where it gets hot and the black tracer goes into harness.

#7 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Does the wire to the center post on the high/low switch have power all the time (when key is on)? It should only have power when the headlight switch is on for the headlights, not the parking lights.

Check this link for a wiring diagram. :click:
Ian Stewart

Zig Ziglar

John Stuart Mill

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic