Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1966 cj 5 breaks and power stering

#1 User is offline   gabacct 

• Private
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

Just picked up a 1966 CJ5 with a 289 ford. Would like to convert to disc breaks and power sterring. ANY help and suggestions, kits or ideas would be greatly appreciated

#2 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

Seen some bolt on brake conversions on E-Bay for a Dana 44 for @ $500.00.... research the motor and see if it ever came with power steering.. if so tracking down the brackets and pump would be your best bet.. then you need to find a power steering gear that will fit in the jeep.
89 YJ, AMC 360, 102" OF NOISE AND BOOGER WELDS
MAKING GOOD DECISIONS COMES FROM EXPERIENCE ...
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM MAKING BAD DECISIONS ...

#3 User is offline   gabacct 

• Private

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostBig Red One, on 08 April 2013 - 07:01 AM, said:

Seen some bolt on brake conversions on E-Bay for a Dana 44 for @ $500.00.... research the motor and see if it ever came with power steering.. if so tracking down the brackets and pump would be your best bet.. then you need to find a power steering gear that will fit in the jeep.

Thank you very much. Appreciate the help.

#4 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

The motor is the same block as the old 302s. You shoulkd be able to use thePS pump from a 260 (V8)-289-302-351. You will probably have to fabricate brackets. The PS gear box can come from an later model CJ.

As for the brakes, you can get the parts from a later model CJ that has discs and PB. You need the the booster and the correct pushrod for the PB aplication. You don't NEED power brakes, but it really helps on the effort you need to press on the bralke pedal.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#5 User is offline   gabacct 

• Private

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Very helpful, thank you. The breaks are extremely bad right now and I wondered how much I needed disc. Already thought I might adjust and rebuild the drum breaks first. Sounds like that might be the ticket.

#6 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

When you do discs, you also have to change the propotioning valve.

Personally, I would do the drums for now and collect the parts for a disc change out.

Depending onwhat you want to do with this CJ as far as a lift goes, you may want to look for used wide trac axles from a CJ7 that someone removed from thier project. It would give you all the parts for the discs on the axle, and a wider base for more stability on side hills.
Ian Stewart

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#7 User is offline   gabacct 

• Private

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I appreciate all ideas and information. My first attempt at a project like this and I am really excited about all the possibilities. Does anyone know which model year I could get the power sterring pump from and most closely fit in the 1966 CJ5

#8 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

I would suggest getting one that matches the engine as the pulleys may be different and could cause some flow issues.
Ian Stewart

Zig Ziglar

John Stuart Mill

#9 User is offline   gabacct 

• Private

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thanks, GOOD point.

I was told Jeep actually put a ford engine in some of their Jeeps. I know they used a varitey of engines, but does anyone know if they used a Ford?

#10 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

Back when Jeep was first made, the government required the engines to be able to swap parts from one to another as the engine production by Willys could not keep up with the demand for Jeeps in the war.
Ian Stewart

Zig Ziglar

John Stuart Mill

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic