Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Welding and wrenching help needed! YJ suspension stretch

#1 User is offline   Nick92 

• Private
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hello all! Let me start off by introducing myself. My names Nick and Ive recently moved down to Boca Raton FL from Louisville KY about two years ago. I generally lurk pirate 4x4 but was referred here to jeep talk and Ive noticed that many members here are Florida based and I like that. I am currently a third year student at FAU and study architecture, which takes up most of my time and money. This being said I don't have the means to work on my rig as much on my own so ive come here for some help. So let me start with a little background info on my jeep:

Ive had my 1989 jeep yj for over 2 years now and bought it of someone who put it Spring over on 4" lift leaf springs and did sort of a sketchy job. I tried my best to fix it up on my own during these ast years and its come a long way since. The biggest project to date has been my rear axle swap. I tore out the dana 35 and stuck a 14 bolt under there with some help from a friend (who doesnt have a shop anymore). Now for the my current project:

Since im not a fan of how lifted the jeep is and considering its scary to drive on the highway I'm looking to lower it and make it more stable by stretching the rear with flat XJ springs, building a new 2x4 crossmember and hanging the shackles of the bumper. The front will be lowered and stretched by going SUA again and pushing the springs forward via shackle hangers and a new front 2x4 steel cross member. I intend on frenching both front and rear spring hangers to further lower and stretch the jeep. As for the steering I intend to move the current steering box forward on the frame rails and plan on cutting up a piece of DOM for the new drag link. I am pretty handy and capable when it comes to all the other aspects of this project. I have all the parts/brackets and the rear leaf spring to do this project. The only problem is that i do not have access or the skills to weld and currently dont have jack stands to lift and support the jeep while working. So I am really hoping that I can get some help from some of you welding savvy fabricators to help me with the welding aspect of my build. I know that I am new hear and dont know any of you but i would really appreciate some help.

Thanks for sticking around and reading all of my crap. Hope to hear from some of you guys.
Thanks again.

#2 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

I recently stretched mine 2" front/ 6" rear by extending the frame but it is still SOA, now using stock Wagoneer springs front and rear, have a steering box relocation bracket, it moves the box 1" forward and 1/2" towards the Pass side. Let me know if you want it...
still using them, but when done I have a pair of Jack Stands that go from 27-36". :cheers:
89 YJ, AMC 360, 102" OF NOISE AND BOOGER WELDS
MAKING GOOD DECISIONS COMES FROM EXPERIENCE ...
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM MAKING BAD DECISIONS ...

#3 User is offline   Krocker 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

welcome here!
Those are the jobs I really hate during project but needed to be done... :(
best-selling brands of Rubicon Express and Pro Comp Tires

#4 User is offline   Nick92 

• Private

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

I just got the last of my materials today! 1/4" 2x4 steel for the front and rear cross members, 3" Schedule 40 pipe for frenching the spring hangers into the frame, and 1/8" steel plate to plate the sides of the spring hangers and cross members. If anyone can refer me to a good welder id really appreciate it. I need good welds seeing as the cross members are a big structural part of the frame and need to withstand alot of stress seeing as the shackle mounts are going to be attached to them as well. If someone can come over and help I can pay for welding materials if needed (i.e. wire and gas).

View PostBig Red One, on 06 September 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

I recently stretched mine 2" front/ 6" rear by extending the frame but it is still SOA, now using stock Wagoneer springs front and rear, have a steering box relocation bracket, it moves the box 1" forward and 1/2" towards the Pass side. Let me know if you want it... still using them, but when done I have a pair of Jack Stands that go from 27-36". :cheers:

Thanks for the offer but the front is gonna be stretched 6" as well so the the steering box is gonna have to move more than an inch forward. But I will, however, love to take those jack stands off your hands when your done! :biggrin1:

View PostKrocker, on 06 September 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

welcome here!Those are the jobs I really hate during project but needed to be done... :(

Thanks! And yeah its a pain in the a### to get it all done but like you said it has to be done.

#5 User is offline   Nick92 

• Private

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

OK change of plans guys. I will only be stretching the rear now due to not wanting to spend more money to deal with the steering issues that come with stretching the front so no I will be sticking to the rear. This means that 60% of the work is being cut from my original plans. Now I will only need help welding the rear crossmember, shackle hangers, and spring hangers. Ive measured and cut everything out so the only thing left is the welding. I will gladly drive to your location (within reasonable distance).

This is an example of the rear crossmember/shackle hanger set up.

http://www.pirate4x4...=1&d=1234633421

And this is an example of the spring hangers. Ive seen this done before and think they're a great and simple idea.
I have already cut these pieces out.

http://i256.photobuc...YJ/100_4267.jpg

How they fit on the frame.

http://i256.photobuc...YJ/100_4269.jpg

#6 User is offline   Krocker 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

we have no choice but to do it!Good luck :)
best-selling brands of Rubicon Express and Pro Comp Tires

#7 User is offline   logandzwon 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostNick92, on 11 September 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

OK change of plans guys. I will only be stretching the rear now due to not wanting to spend more money to deal with the steering issues that come with stretching the front so no I will be sticking to the rear. This means that 60% of the work is being cut from my original plans. Now I will only need help welding the rear crossmember, shackle hangers, and spring hangers. Ive measured and cut everything out so the only thing left is the welding. I will gladly drive to your location (within reasonable distance).

This is an example of the rear crossmember/shackle hanger set up.

http://www.pirate4x4...=1&d=1234633421

And this is an example of the spring hangers. Ive seen this done before and think they're a great and simple idea.
I have already cut these pieces out.

http://i256.photobuc...YJ/100_4267.jpg

How they fit on the frame.

http://i256.photobuc...YJ/100_4269.jpg

Hey, did you ever get this welded up?
Black 04 TJ Rubi, Snorkel, winch, lift - R.I.P.
Currently I just have a bunch of parts I'm trying to make into a Jeep.

#8 User is offline   MikeJoel 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

yeah did it get welded up? we love to see how it ended up :)

#9 User is offline   Nick92 

• Private

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

I did! :cheers: Thanks to a friend of mine, he has been helping me weld ever since I first posted here so this project has been around 7 months in the making. I have gotten just about everything welded up and just need to find some time with my busy school schedule so I can finish my upper radiator mount and other misc tabs. After that only three things will be left to do: paint the frame, install all new brake lines and fitting, and order up a new driveline from Broward powertrain. Ill be posting up a build thread once I can spare some time but for now heres a little teaser :biggrin1:

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   MikeJoel 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

Great built :cheers: . Not bad for a 7 months in the making. Is it the final built?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic