JEEPTALK.net: Domestic Fuel Act - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1

Domestic Fuel Act

#1 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Whether or not you realize this, Senator Johanns is the originator of the Domestic Fuel Act, one section of which is to change gasoline from the E10 to E15. DO your own research, but here is where I have found some of it:
Consumer Reports

Here is a copy of the e-mail thjat I have sent him.

Domestic Fuel act and E55.

I have major concerns about E15. Although it may be good for some of the newer vehicles, when it comes to the older ones, the fuel lines can be damaged to the point of leaking fuel, possibly causing a fire on a vehicle. Also, it causes the engine to run hotter, which will lead to a shorter life span for the engine due to the added wear to the engine components. The added ethanol also "washes" the cylinders of the necessary oil to keep engine life to a maximum. Lowering this life will cause more people to have to use the money that they may not have to acquire another vehicle. The economy has not picked up enough for those expenses that the middle and lower class of wage earners will then be burdened with.

I know that I do not want E15 in my Harley Davidson, an air cooled engine that needs as little additional heat added to it as possible, let alone the fuel lines that could be damaged. I also own a 1994 Honda and a 1997 Jeep that would have major issues with the fuel lines due to the added ethanol.

Has there really been a study done by a non-biased company? Is the information you are basing your Domestic Fuel Act on been reviewed by a party that is not part of the fuel, or alternative fuel, industry? What about expensive tests to air cooled engines and older vehicles that will acquire fuel system damages due to the added ethanol? Does the lower fuel mileage using E15 add more cost to the American citizen that staying with a lower ethanol addition?

I understand the need to get away from foreign oil imports, and going to various types of alternative fuel sources, but please make sure that the older vehicles are compatible with the recommendations that you are suggesting in your Domestic Fuel Act.

The following information can be found on the Consumer Reports website, http://www.consumerr...rview/index.htm

"... Fuel economy, however, dropped across the board. In highway driving, gas mileage decreased from 21 to 15 mpg; in city driving, it dropped from 9 to 7 mpg. You could expect a similar decrease in gas mileage in any current FFV." (FFV is referring to a fossil fuel vehicle.)

"...We also took our Tahoe to a state-certified emissions-test facility near our test track in Connecticut and had a standard emissions test performed. We found a significant decrease in smog-forming oxides of nitrogen when using E85. However, ethanol emits acetaldehyde, which the EPA lists as a probable carcinogen and something that standard emissions-testing equipment is not designed to measure..."

Realize I am going to relay this information, and the fact that you are the originator for the Domestic Fuel Act, to everyone I know.

If you feel the same way I do, let your congressmen know, as well as Senator Johanns.

We put them in ofice, it's our job to keep them in line with what WE want, not what they want.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#2 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

I agree i have a zero radius lawn mower that the ethanol has eat up the fuel lines. i had to have them replaced also my generator has the same thing going on. I need to replace all the lines. When i took my trip west some of the location i stop for fuel had no ethanol in there fuel so i tried it. I got much better fuel mileage in my Dodge Ram 1500. We need to stop this in my opinion.
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

When is this control going to stop, most of it is so that you can continue to spend money. Some of the older guys know and have experience that things just don't last the way they use to. :2thumbdown:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#4 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

It'll stop when we have a congress FOR the people, not for their pockets. The biggest issue is that we are subsidizing the farmers to grow corn, the major contributor towards ethanol. SO even if we are "paying less per gallon" the 10% gas, we are how much of our taxes are paying for the subsidies? I haven't got that info yet.

Read this

and this

PS, it also is called corn liquer. So we are not allowing the the moonshiners to make thier revinue.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#5 User is offline   MikeJoel 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

nice info JeepinIan :thumbsup:

#6 User is offline   Mountain Man 

• Colonel

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostLivefree, on 02 April 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

I agree i have a zero radius lawn mower that the ethanol has eat up the fuel lines. i had to have them replaced also my generator has the same thing going on. I need to replace all the lines. When i took my trip west some of the location i stop for fuel had no ethanol in there fuel so i tried it. I got much better fuel mileage in my Dodge Ram 1500. We need to stop this in my opinion.

:banghead1:

I've had a Sears (Craftsmen) Garden Tractor for over 10 years
and I never had any problems using regular gasoline with 10%
ethanol until last year......the FUEL LINES started leaking
and they were eaten up by what I can only conclude was the
ethanol.

After that, I only use GASOLINE without ethanol. Get it at
the local marina. And, use it in the boat, too. NO PROBLEMS
to date with either.
1982 CJ-7, 31" tires, 12,000 lb. Ramsey Winch.
2002 Jeep Liberty, lifted, 31" tires.

If GOD wanted us to own 2 wheel drive vehicles,
He would have paved the whole earth.

SFJC, Jeep Club Advisor

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

My Willys uses regular gas, are you saying that the only place you found regular without ethanol is on the Marinas :question: Please don't tell me so.

I have a portable fuel tank that holds 50gal, I might just drive over to a marina. Anything around Davie?
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#8 User is offline   Mountain Man 

• Colonel

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

:whistle:

You can Google "ethanol free gas" and go to the Florida
(or state of your choice) website and it will list places
that have ethanol free gasoline. It shows 3 listings for
Ft. Laud. and all are marinas.

The Seminole Truck Stop in far western Broward county
also sells it. It is a Marathon station, if I recall.

I found a station in Miami that sells it, about a mile
from my home. But, as we go to the boat launching ramp
and fill the boat there, I just take a 5 gallon container
for the garden tractor and fill it when needed.
1982 CJ-7, 31" tires, 12,000 lb. Ramsey Winch.
2002 Jeep Liberty, lifted, 31" tires.

If GOD wanted us to own 2 wheel drive vehicles,
He would have paved the whole earth.

SFJC, Jeep Club Advisor

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply