Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Messed up Front Locker Work

#1 User is offline   Valfam 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

This weekend I think I messed up my front locker and I need to get it looked at and fixed. I would be doing the work myself but when I bought my JK I bought a 2 year mechanical service contact that covers pretty much everything. Should I take it to Jeep or some other shop? Which Jeep dealer or which shop names and numbers please?

Thanks

I had a great time breaking the front locker.
Ruben
2015 Grand Cherokee 4X4 Summit

Definition of JEEP = J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket

Check Out My Jeeps at Cardomain's Site My Jeeps

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Take it to the dealer, tell then you were on dirt road camping, etc and have them fix it.

You paid for the contract, might as well use it.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   Valfam 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostJim B, on 26 March 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

Take it to the dealer, tell then you were on dirt road camping, etc and have them fix it.

You paid for the contract, might as well use it.

Jim thats what I hope to do. But which dealer do you like best? I'm happy to say I never had to take one of my Jeeps to the dealer, once I would buy them I would never need to take them back.
Ruben

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Try whichever is closest to you, I've heard that Hollywood knows and has taken care of a few offroad incidents under warranty. This might be a bit out of your way since you are West of the county. Click on the add at the bottom to get their phone and call them.

Clean up the undercarriage well before you take it.
El Niño

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#5 User is offline   Valfam 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostJim B, on 27 March 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

Try whichever is closest to you, I've heard that Hollywood knows and has taken care of a few offroad incidents under warranty. This might be a bit out of your way since you are West of the county. Click on the add at the bottom to get their phone and call them.

Clean up the undercarriage well before you take it.

Thanks Jim. I will be spending the next few days cleaning stuff up. Last night I removed the new ARB bumpers and going to install the factory bumpers again, I'm also going to reinstall the factory diff cover and remove the G2 one I have, not much I can do about the belly pan scratch and dents. Do you think I should reinstall the factory coils and shocks? What I think is good is that I do not have a Jeep warranty so if they want to get paid they would agree that it’s a warranty item if not I will do it myself.
Ruben

#6 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostValfam, on 27 March 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Thanks Jim. I will be spending the next few days cleaning stuff up. Last night I removed the new ARB bumpers and going to install the factory bumpers again, I'm also going to reinstall the factory diff cover and remove the G2 one I have, not much I can do about the belly pan scratch and dents. Do you think I should reinstall the factory coils and shocks? What I think is good is that I do not have a Jeep warranty so if they want to get paid they would agree that it’s a warranty item if not I will do it myself.

The service contract, if it comforms to the standard warranty type of disclaimer, has to state that the modifications is waht caused the item to fail. Now, if you have installed bigger tires they could claim that they caused undo strain on the locker causing it to fail. Lifts have been blamed for failures before.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#7 User is offline   Valfam 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostJeepinIan, on 27 March 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

The service contract, if it comforms to the standard warranty type of disclaimer, has to state that the modifications is waht caused the item to fail. Now, if you have installed bigger tires they could claim that they caused undo strain on the locker causing it to fail. Lifts have been blamed for failures before.

I have the same size tires that comes on the Rubi, but they are 12.5 wide, I guess if they want to be a pain they can even say I took it off-road so its not covered. The messed up thing is you can buy a lift and tires from Jeep or even have Jeep lift it. I guess it all depends what they want to do.
Ruben

#8 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

View PostValfam, on 27 March 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

I have the same size tires that comes on the Rubi, but they are 12.5 wide, I guess if they want to be a pain they can even say I took it off-road so its not covered. The messed up thing is you can buy a lift and tires from Jeep or even have Jeep lift it. I guess it all depends what they want to do.

The width of the tires should not come into play on the diff. For the wheel end bearings possibly.

IIRC, even though lisfts are sold & installed by dealers, they are not Jeep parts, nor covered by Jeep warranties. They are installed by the dealer, and the lift manufacturer handles the warranty for the lift.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#9 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostValfam, on 27 March 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

I remember way back when I had a D35 limited slip with 4" lift and 35" tires on the TJ. Tore the heck out of the gears. No extended warranty, was still under the dealer. Went to Hollywood with a beg type attitude. Cleaned up the Jeep, painted the scratches with the rattle can. They fixed it.

I would just replace the stock diff cover so the mechanic does not complain, clean it and rattle the underneath. I would not go through the trouble of taking out the lift, shocks or coils. If it's an outside warranty they are still going to get paid. Burden of proof is on them that the lift caused it so ask them to do so and quote the The Magnuson-Moss warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

Yes they can still send you packing and then you go to the next dealer. :grin: I forgot who my service writer was at the time, older guy.

Take a look at these 2 topics here on JeepTalk
http://jeeptalk.net/...ndpost&p=158825
http://jeeptalk.net/...indpost&p=62473
The Magnuson-Moss warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)
El Niño

#10 User is offline   Valfam 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

You know if I do have a problem, I will cancel my service contact and get my money back. That will more than pay to fix the front axle.
Ruben

#11 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

I'm curious on the outcome. When you take it in please report back and let us know how it went. :ya:
El Niño

#12 User is offline   Valfam 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

I was out driving it yesterday and when I put it in 4wd and lock the front I only hear the noise if I turn right, Im now thinking it’s the u-joint on the front axle. I looked at the U-joint and I do see the little boot ripped.
Ruben

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic