Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

XJ with V-8 power

#1 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

If the guy can locate the title I'll be picking up a 97 XJ with a well built 350 under the hood. It runs, rides, and drives awesome! Wasn't built for wheeling though, but to be a daily driver. It still has stock axles. Guy said it's a D30/35 setup and that's what it looked like when I got under it. 3" lift with 31" tires. I am guessing if I don't go larger on the tires and am careful with the skinny pedal I'll be OK with the 35 out back until I can save up for a 44. If I get it I'll post up pics.

How weird it is my 350th post is regarding an XJ with a 350 in it?

#2 User is offline   Outlaw 

• Major

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Well for a quick fix. Pick up an Chrysler 8.25 and drop in. Its a lot stronger and would likely have the right gears in it already. And would be a direct bolt in.
John
01 TJ 4.0 manual... Stock for now. ( But the build will begin soon.)
Member of:
Utah 4x4 & Citrus County Jeepers

#3 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

I was hoping for an 8.25 in that year. Rough Country lift and 31's. The body's straight, but 3 doors and a fender are different color because he said there were some dents and he didn't want to use a bunch of bondo. He built it to be a DD, hence the stock axles. All it needs is some gauges, a rear bumper and a driver's seatbelt. Picking it up tomorrow.

phone pics!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Outlaw 

• Major

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Are you sure its not an 8.25 The 8.25 and the D35 look a lot alike. I have seen some mix them up.
John
01 TJ 4.0 manual... Stock for now. ( But the build will begin soon.)
Member of:
Utah 4x4 & Citrus County Jeepers

#5 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Pics you say? Immediate plans are for getting a working speedometer and fuel gauge, followed by a new windshield, paint for the mismatched panels, front/rear bumpers, winch, tires, and finally upgrading the stock D-35 rear. I think I did pretty good for $3000. Interior is very good, body pretty straight.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

EDIT: Looking at the pic of the rear of the Jeep, maybe it is an 8.25. Looks flat on bottom.

#6 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

It has a carb which I am fine with. Has a mechanical fuel pump which is also fine. Here's where it gets weird. It seems that the guy who built it retained the original electric fuel pump and it feeds the mechanical pump. I assume the mechanical pump sort of regulates the pressure or something. Not sure. Anyway, not the electric pump appears to be dying.

Should I replace it and continue with the setup as-is? It does (did) work pretty well.

Disconnect the electric pump, modify the return line to be used as the fuel line and just keep going with the mechanical?

Replace both with a good low pressure electric pump (I have one brand new for another project)?

Which is the simplest, most reliable, cost effective method? Not going to go with fuel injection so that's not an option. Too expensive at this time.

#7 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

The mechanical has 1 line in and 1 out, corect?

The electrical pump has an additional line that works as a return?

Personally, I would get rid of the electrical, and cap off the return, you should already have a feed line that goes frmo the electrical to the mechnaical. I think the electrical is redundant.

If the mechanical cannot keep the fuel pressure up for your carb, then I would eliminate the mechanical and put in a lower pressure electrical, 7 - 8 PSI is all you should need, with a pressure regulator between it and the carb. If you do keep the electrical, place it somewhere easy to get to and keep a spare.

I have placed a filter before the inlet on electrical pumps before as they tend to be more picky than a mechanical.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#8 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

I was kind of leaning toward removing the electric pump and keeping the mechanical. I do have a brand new electric, low pressure pump, but I don't like the idea of an external pump on an off road used vehicle. Granted it won't be off road much, but my luck would dictate getting it whacked by a rock or something and spewing fuel everywhere burning my XJ to the ground and half the woods around it.
I just hate having to drop the tank. I just filled up the day before this started.

#9 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

You couild place the electric under the hood or tucked above the skid plate for the t-case.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic