Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new clutch installed

#1 User is offline   TomJohn777 

• Private
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hello, My old clutch in my 95YJ was slipping a little so decided to replace. I installed a LUK clutch kit. Pilot bearing,throw out bearing, disk and pressure plate. started the jeep and I can't shift into any gear. shut off I can shift into all gears. I pulled slave cylinder (external)got several drops of fluid, So I replaced slave cylinder. Bled line the best I could (by myself) I think that I got all the air out? but it still will not shift while running. No problem with master of slave before new clutch. Any idea's?

#2 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

How does the clutch feel when you push it in, if it has little or no resistance until almost to floor you may still have air in line, if you have no one to help you bleed it get a 1 man bleeder kit ( small plastic bottle/plastic tubing) from the auto parts store...
89 YJ, AMC 360, 102" OF NOISE AND BOOGER WELDS
MAKING GOOD DECISIONS COMES FROM EXPERIENCE ...
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM MAKING BAD DECISIONS ...

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

Did you use the alignment tool when you installed it?

Power bleed it or open and let it drain through it.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

'65 CJ5 Navy; '74 CJ5; '80 CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7
Posted Image <----CLICK

#4 User is offline   Outlaw 

• Major

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Are you sure you installed the throw out bearing correctly. And are you sure the clutch fork is hooked on the ball.

Are you sure you installed the throw out bearing correctly. And are you sure the clutch fork is hooked on the ball.
John
01 TJ 4.0 manual... Stock for now. ( But the build will begin soon.)
Member of:
Utah 4x4 & Citrus County Jeepers

#5 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

Check the travel in the slave cylinder first, as was mentioned.

There are a few other things that could cause this, the disc in backwards, the throwout bearing not correctly installed.

How difficult is it to put in gear w/ the engine off? Does the clutch work then?
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#6 User is offline   TomJohn777 

• Private

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

99.9% sure the disc is in right, Installed throw out bearing with both clips, took off clip for the fork and re-installed.Installed new slave cylinder and bled it. shifts fine when engine is off. peddle feels good. clutch just will not dis-engage.

#7 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

SOunds like there is not enough throw. Is the clutxch master cylinder full? Is it spongy? You may have to bleed it more.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#8 User is offline   jimmy 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

i, we just changed a clutch, pressure plate,and throwout bearing on a friends yj yesterday and it was doing the same thing. we checked it all again and found nothing wrong that we could tell!!! found out that if you let the clutch up a bit from the floor while shifting, it shifted just fine??? kinda like it had to much throw?? does yours do the same thing??
Jimmy Bass
Treasure Coast Jeep Club

86 CJ-7, 258 CID, 5 spd, 2 1/2" springs, 1" body lift, webber carb, HEI ignition, 30 front, 44 rear, 3.31 gears, and 33x12.50-15 cooper STT's

#9 User is offline   TomJohn777 

• Private

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Mine turned out to be the bolts on the pressure plate backed out a little.I guess that you need to use lok-tite or lock washers on them. I torqued the bolts correctly, But apparently the PO had replaced the clutch before and must have used lok -tite because there was no lock washers on them when I took it apart. I couldn't figure it out so I took it to my Mechanic. He used lock washers and it works now. I don't know if this is your problem, a lot of people said air in the line can cause it not to shift.Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Miami Jeep Fort Lauderdale Jeep Dealer