Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

engine running hot sometimes

#1 User is offline   XrayDivr 

• First Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

this is actually on my other 4x4 a john deere tractor but an engines an engine right?

so think i have this figgured out, but i guess i'm looking for confirmation
so 2 winters now when its really cold out the tractor seems to run hot. all the rest of the year it's fine.i changed the t-stat, no difference. so now im wondering if it could be the fan clutch. ofcourse their supposed to be loose while the engine is cold. and as the engine warms up the clutch engages pulling more air thru the radiator right?
except when its this cold out maybe the clutch cant warm up soo its not pulling in air?? so my question is, it seems the clutch is doing what its supposed to, soo changing it wouldn't help, right?. what about covering both sides up between the radiatior and engine trapping more heat in there? or if anyone has any other idea's i'd really appreciate it.

thanks
president: jubicon express off-road

at jubicon express i'm not only the president but i'm also a client.

#2 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Does it run hot, then cool off? If so check the bypass hose.

It could be the fan clutch, depending on how the air is getting to the clutch. Does it have open engine side panels?

Is the fan shroud in place?
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#3 User is offline   XrayDivr 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostJeepinIan, on 23 January 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

Does it run hot, then cool off? If so check the bypass hose.

It could be the fan clutch, depending on how the air is getting to the clutch. Does it have open engine side panels?

Is the fan shroud in place?

i dont know if it has a bypass hose i'll check.

yes the sides are open and the fan shroud is only a couple of inchs deep. thats why i was thinking of covering the sides up. trap more heat in around the clutch and then the compartment could still vent out the bottom
president: jubicon express off-road

at jubicon express i'm not only the president but i'm also a client.

#4 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

Shroud should cover half the fan. If you can, put some vents in the panels that facce towards the back of teh tractor, it will help guide the air flow thru the rad over the fan clutch.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic