Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Axle swaps??? Axle Swaps???

#1 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:48 PM

I was wondering about axle swaps, some good options, i was very close to gettin a set of d44s fron a scout but they guy backed out from selling them, and i thought to mysel,f the only reason im going scout, is the bolt pattern is the same and i can spare my 480 bucks worth of rims...Heres my case, 78 CJ5 d30 and AMC 20 narrow tracks(with diffrent gear ratios), so a swap is a must definate. what other f&r axles might there be i can swap in?...and strong, wide 60" at least give or take a few, i like wide tires(and big, ru na 35x14 now soon the 38x15 bogger my next tire)...or is there any good 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern axles??? ive saved quite a bit up for me...just any advice fingers, pointers on axle swaps...issues i might need to watch for, steering and drive shaft/yokes are my biggest conern right now in doing a swap...any imput please... :gossip:

anthony :2thumup:

#2 User is offline   281 QuadCam 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 21 July 2003 - 11:21 PM

well i have a 79 CJ5, same axles as you - went ahead and got a ford 9" (which is 5x5.5) out of the yard the other day, it isnt in yet, i need new wheels and a front axle before i do it all at once... but im with you on the front... :2thumup: it is amazing the wealth of knowledge about everything on these jeep forums, but so far i havent been able to get an answer about what front axle i can put on a CJ that is about 65" and passenger diff - which is sorta amazing itself :wacko: . help us out! :gossip:

ive been told to stay away from scout II axles... especially the front ones, something about D30 outers and 260 joints, etc?
1979 CJ5/258/T150/D20/M20/D30/up3/33x12.5

#3 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 22 July 2003 - 05:03 PM

hey how much was the ford 9 you found?... and what was it out of?......the 9 is under consideration also........id like to find something local, shipping 150 + pound axles is pricey....know fof any good yards localy i might check out?

anthony

#4 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 22 July 2003 - 07:21 PM

Check out the junkyards & pick n pulls. Your looking for an older Ford truck.
The only disadvantage to a 9" in how low the pinion is. :2thumup:
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#5 User is offline   281 QuadCam 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:24 PM

it was 80 bucks at a local pick n pull... try one out...
mine is from a 1985 E-150... very wide, 31 spline, and to my knowledge vans have bigger brakes.
The low pinion does suck, i will need to clock the axle and try to rig up a CV... hope to god my CJ5 can take 3 inches plus SOA - without major work.

the reason to be careful with older ford trucks, is that some carry 28 spline shafts, most i believe... dont quote me, but 28 spline shafts will have an indented oval at the center of the hub, and the 31 spline is a small hole flanked by two larger holes... such as this (This is the one gabe got that day, pretty much same as mine)
Posted Image
1979 CJ5/258/T150/D20/M20/D30/up3/33x12.5

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic