Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need a manual tranny in search for a manual tranny

#1 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

this has been a mission fellas took my jeep to get the seals on the motor replces in order to stop my leaks cool no all of a sudden my real lower seal is leaking and they want to charge me 400 bucks to change the seal because they need to drop my tranny i was aware of the leak before the repair and i hd the mechanic look at my tranny because i can't use 5th gear so i thought it was because of the lift kit turn out the tranny is a infamouse Peugeot BA-10. 5-speed manual transmission and the mechanic said i dont want to mess with that !!! and said i should get an AX 15 from a cherokee or jeep wrangler with a 4.0 engine so ralisticly i need to fix or change my tranny so i can fix my seal anny suggestions so I need an AX15

#2 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

What Jeep do you have?
Which seal is the one leaking? Is it the rear main seal? If so on Wranglers and CJ's they are replaceable without dropping the tranny. I did it on my TJ
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   CrackerJack 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

RMS can be replaced with tranny installed. Did it on my YJ. I never had a problem w/ my BA-10 though I've heard alot of bad stories about them. Big Red One runs 40" tires with his.
1991 YJ 3" SOA, 3" BL, 38.5 boggers, SYE, EB D44/8.8, 4.10s, 1999 4.0 High Output motor, BIG rear bumper, 10K vortex winch w/ wireless remote, Square Headlights plus a few extra
1989 YJ. 2"BL, semi-functional snorkel, little "girlie" tires
2001 F350 7.3L turbo diesel, Square Headlights
2007 Honda Rancher 4x4 27" Vampire tires, Square Headlights
Member: South Florida Jeep Club
FOUNDER: Square Headlight Intense Team
"Right is Right even if no one does it & Wrong is Wrong even if everyone does it."
"NEVER look down on someone unless you are helping them up"
"I'm not smart but I can lift heavy things"

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

X2, if the tranny will not shift to 5TH, an AX 15 would be a good upgrade, if it has no power in 5TH due to larger tires you may need a gear change... My BA-10 worked for 20 plus years with no problems, unless you are going to mud race or put a v-8 or something.. I would stay with the BA-10 until it dies. As Jack said mine turned the 40's for years, I'm only changing it now due to ORIGINAL seals (Bad Leak). :rip: If it's your rear main seal it should be a 2 piece and can be replaced by just dropping the oil pan.
89 YJ, AMC 360, 102" OF NOISE AND BOOGER WELDS
MAKING GOOD DECISIONS COMES FROM EXPERIENCE ...
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM MAKING BAD DECISIONS ...

#5 User is offline   Polardoggie 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

you can check with meanmax on this forum or contact his wife skynardchick...he should have a tranny for ya or help you repair yours.or try meanmaxthejeepguy.com
Socially Indifferent...I Laugh, Cuz You're all the same ..
J20 GONE TO NEW HAPPY OWNER,
BUILT'NOT BOUGHT..can ya really say it?
93-95 YJ Craigslist special...almost on the road...

#6 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

hey guys sorry for the late reply I have a 1987 jeep yj on 33 inch wheels 4 inch body kit with an 4.2 inline six with original tranny ( Peugeot Tranny i believe its a Ba 10 ) the problem is I have no powedr on 5th gear some people said it coulf be because the tire size and hight of lift and that i might need dana with 410s or extend my shifter to reach the 5th gear so I took it to roco 4x4 to then extend my shifter since it was the most economic way to go and i had him take care of my oil leak which was on the upper seal took him like 2 weeks to fix that he told me my lower seal was leaking and that i didnt need to extend my shifter and simply said my tranny was bad and in order to change the lower seal to stop the leak he needed to drop the tranny not to mention the upper seal was leaking more than before i too it in to them so i took it back so he can fix it again 5 days later got it back and ther rear seal was leaking like hell I'm going nuts LOL

View PostPolardoggie, on 17 December 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

you can check with meanmax on this forum or contact his wife skynardchick...he should have a tranny for ya or help you repair yours.or try meanmaxthejeepguy.com

View PostPolardoggie, on 17 December 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

awesome let me know brother I need to fix this baby I would appreciate it royaly lol

#7 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:28 AM

I ran my Peugot till it died and upgraded to an AX15, you need to replace your gears to 4.10's with either tranny. The AX15 is a heavy duty tranny and worth investing in when the Peugot craps out. It sounds like your tranny is still good. Extending the shifter is good if you have longer legs, ride with your seat all the way to the rear, and you installed a tranny drop when it was lifted. I had mine raised about 3" only for comfort. It has nothing to do with losing power in 5th gear.
If the tranny pops out of gear in 2nd, 4th, or reverse (common problem with a lift) then the opening in the floor where the shifter hole is, has to be trimmed out about 1/4". But it sounds like you need new gears more than anything else.

#8 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

hey wardie my tranny does pop ot in reverse I have to hold it in reverse intersting so you are saying that my tranny my still be gooD that all I would need to do is the shifter extension ?
help me out brother this is driving me nuts LOL

View PostWardie, on 30 December 2011 - 01:28 AM, said:

I ran my Peugot till it died and upgraded to an AX15, you need to replace your gears to 4.10's with either tranny. The AX15 is a heavy duty tranny and worth investing in when the Peugot craps out. It sounds like your tranny is still good. Extending the shifter is good if you have longer legs, ride with your seat all the way to the rear, and you installed a tranny drop when it was lifted. I had mine raised about 3" only for comfort. It has nothing to do with losing power in 5th gear.
If the tranny pops out of gear in 2nd, 4th, or reverse (common problem with a lift) then the opening in the floor where the shifter hole is, has to be trimmed out about 1/4". But it sounds like you need new gears more than anything else.

#9 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

The extension is only to make it easier to reach when you do a tranny drop. Where the shifter comes through the floor hump, body, your shifter is now hitting the floor. Trim that area back about 1/4 of an inch, this will allow you to now shift fully into reverse. You will no longer have to hold the shifter in the reverse position while backing up. I can give you hand with this as it is about the easiest repair you'll ever have to do. I like easy repairs lol!

#10 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

LOL who doesnt like easy repairs lol hey wardie that would be awesome now all i gotta do is start that thing and drive to ya i gotta take the carb the repbuild too lol

View PostWardie, on 03 January 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

The extension is only to make it easier to reach when you do a tranny drop. Where the shifter comes through the floor hump, body, your shifter is now hitting the floor. Trim that area back about 1/4 of an inch, this will allow you to now shift fully into reverse. You will no longer have to hold the shifter in the reverse position while backing up. I can give you hand with this as it is about the easiest repair you'll ever have to do. I like easy repairs lol!

#11 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

I won't rebuild the carb there is good mechanic near me though.

#12 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

[yeah I was thinking of taking it to billy carb gonna rebuild it cause its a holley 7448-1

so let me ask you brother adding the shifter extender isnt hard and will it help if i put 410 gears in the dana?

quote name='Wardie' timestamp='1325712982' post='165740']
I won't rebuild the carb there is good mechanic near me though.
[/quote]

#13 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

I repeat the shifter extender will do nothing to change the mechanical functioning of your jeep, gears,or tranny! It just makes it easier for you to reach the shifter when you do a tranny drop. Remember if you drop the tranny 2 inches you drop the shifter knob 2 inches. You will have a slightly longer shifting pattern - you have to move the shifter knob a little more when shifting between gears. This is why you need to trim a little metal off the opening in the floor to allow the little longer shifting pattern of the shifter from preventing you from going all the way into reverse.

#14 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostWardie, on 04 January 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

I repeat the shifter extender will do nothing to change the mechanical functioning of your jeep, gears,or tranny! It just makes it easier for you to reach the shifter when you do a tranny drop. Remember if you drop the tranny 2 inches you drop the shifter knob 2 inches. You will have a slightly longer shifting pattern - you have to move the shifter knob a little more when shifting between gears. This is why you need to trim a little metal off the opening in the floor to allow the little longer shifting pattern of the shifter from preventing you from going all the way into reverse.

well I took myjeep to billys card and he checked it out turns out all i needed to do was connect the 12 volt power supply to it so my choke could open and close however I had an accumilation of oil in the carb turns out i have a blowby problem could be one of the seals for the pistons uuggghhh I also came accross and got em 1991 yj front and back axels with 410 gears in em hopefully that will fix the 5th gear problem if not i will have to go with a tranny swap whats your take on this guys

#15 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostWardie, on 04 January 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

well I took myjeep to billys card and he checked it out turns out all i needed to do was connect the 12 volt power supply to it so my choke could open and close however I had an accumilation of oil in the carb turns out i have a blowby problem could be one of the seals for the pistons uuggghhh I also came accross and got em 1991 yj front and back axels with 410 gears in em hopefully that will fix the 5th gear problem if not i will have to go with a tranny swap whats your take on this guys

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic