Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

gear install kits 3.07 to 4.10

#1 User is offline   hartke20g 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

so i finally got my hands on some 4.10 gears for my TJ. what i have right now is the r&p for the D30 (still need carrier and spider gears OR aussie locker if i can pony up the cash) and all the D35 internals including r&p, carrier (with bearings still installed) and spider gears.
i've been looking at install kits but i'm not sure which ones i need given the materials i have. i don't know if i need the master install kit or if i can get away with one of the more basic kits.
is this what i need? or is it incomplete/more than needed?
http://www.quadratec...s/52440_104.htm

any help is greatly appreciated (avoid this brand, buy from website X, just order ___, you idiot, etc)
:2thumup:

i'd also like to ask for help from anyone who knows how to install gears for beer, food, help you move, etc. but i'll make a thread in the Wrenching Shack when i actually have the materials
1998 TJ 4.0 Sahara 3.5" coils, skyjacker hydro 7000s, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, D35/D30, 33x12.5 mud kings, HF 8k winch, snorkel. "Military Edition"

#2 User is offline   Lost Sheep 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

Dana 30 master install kit 35-2031 from G/2 and Dana 35 Master install kit 35-2049. Comes with everything you need to do the install except inner axle seals.
Most people aren't brave, they are just too stupid to realize what they are doing.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4.0 with a 6 speed hand shaker: 4" Skyjacker lift, Super Lift bent Control Arms, High Rock front and rear bumpers, Rubicon Express Hand throttle ,Cragar 15" Soft 8's wrapped with 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers.

VP High Rollers Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   hartke20g 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

do i have to buy new seals or can i reuse my old ones? i've read that new seals aren't a necessity (as long as you don't destroy the old ones) but i'm not sure if that's true or not.
1998 TJ 4.0 Sahara 3.5" coils, skyjacker hydro 7000s, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, D35/D30, 33x12.5 mud kings, HF 8k winch, snorkel. "Military Edition"

#4 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

I would replace the seals. It's easier to do at this time than to get to them later when they leak.

As for the install kit, get another set of bearing ofthe same manufacturer as the ones you are going to install permanently. Have them machined out for a snug fit, not a press fit. That way you can adjust the shim pack as needed without destroying bearings when you need to change them to ge tthe correct gear mesh pattern.

Start with the same thickness of shims as came off the old carrier, and adjust from there.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#5 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

I would replace the inner axle oil seals on that 30, they will eventually go and they are easily changed when you are doing the gears. Most of the popular 4x4 parts places on line have good ring/pinion sets, Motive is what I used, Superior/Yukon are just a few. Just make sure you get a 'matched set' ring/pinion, A master install kit is the way I would go (Timken bearings) and you can make a set of 'set-up' bearings from the old ones you pull. You will need some 'specialized' tools to do it right.. Dial indicator, Inch pound Torque wrench.. if you are going with a locker this would be the best time to get it, make sure when ordering tell them what gears you are going from and to, this can determine whether you need a different carrier and/or a'thick' gear set. PM me if you need help.. I have everything as far as the tools.. I'm right down the street from you. Go to Pirate4x4, it has a good write up on a gear change.
89 YJ, AMC 360, 102" OF NOISE AND BOOGER WELDS
MAKING GOOD DECISIONS COMES FROM EXPERIENCE ...
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM MAKING BAD DECISIONS ...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic