Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Screaming 4 Banger Faster 2.5L TJs

#1 User is offline   Quicksand 

• Corporal
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

I dont know If I have told you guys about my little screaming 97 TJ yet. Maybe I have somewhere. When I first got it about 7 years ago it was all good and fun, this was back in texas. It gets pretty hot there in the summer. So then I had to turn on the AC and to my disapointment I lost a extreme amount of power. Then came on the budget boost with 31 in BFG muds. Now I had to lean forward on the freeway just to maintain 55 MPH and that was with a tail wind. Mind you houston texas is pretty flat. O by the way I moved to southern,CA 4 years ago. Well way back when the search for more power for my little rig started, and that was with minimal funds. Little by little and thru trail and error I finally got my 4 Banger up to speed. It has a homebrewed cold air intake with a flat panel K&N filter in factory box, front of box is cut open, passenger side of box is partially cut with a aluminum slide. It is adjustable in order to adjust the amount of air and pressure build up in there. It is cold air fed from air entering from around headlight bezels. Both headlight bezels have been removed. A thick rubber mud flap was used between the air box and radiator to keep hot air out. Also a bigger dia air tube was used along with heat wrap keeping air as cool as possible. I did test a AEM cone filter once and did not even compare to my current set up. Finally installed a 4.0L TB and that made a big difference, but no I had to go bigger. I tried a 62mm straight thru bore and lost top end power, so back on with the stock 4.0L TB. OK back to normal. Then I bored that out myself and decided to bore the very top side to 62mm at a tapered angle down to 60mm just above the throttle plate. On the bottom side a stock 4.0L TB is 54mm I bored that out to a mere 56mm. Wow what a nice difference as it swallows large amounts of air and squeezes it down into the manifold through a custom made throttle body spacer which also is designed to keep a good air charge. My 2.5L is very sensitive to small changes. To much air in I lose torque, to little I lose power. Same goes for spark. I currently run a 42,000 volt accel coil along with accel 8mm wires and after trying many plugs NGKs worked the best for me. They started at the factory gap of .035 then after while were gapped to .037 then much later went to .039 and here lately went to .040 then .042. Wow what a difference at .042 everything was alot smoother, idle, crawl speeds and quick smooth off the line. O forgot to mention that a catback with a magnaflow muffler was added somewhere in there. So at this current time my 2.5L really screams, it is fast, plenty passing power from 65 to 80 MPH yea she is no V8 but for a small power plant she is a blast to drive. Yeah I know its only got 31s with factory 4.10 gears. I am sure if I got bigger tires I would lose what power I have. One day I would like to get a bigger lift and tires but would like to do a gear change at the same time. Man that sounds expensive. I am a DD and like to do mild trails. I do keep my jeep light nothing to heavy. I do have a kilby steering skid, and wold like to get skids for the diffs and some medium duty rock sliders. I believe in the power to rate ratio. Well the next engine mod I am considering is a E-fan. I cant imagine my rig being any faster. Am I talking to much? Well enough for now, Happy 4 Wheeling, FUN FUN !!!!

#2 User is offline   RockTime 

• Captain

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

the fan did wonders for me also another thing u need to do is injectors out of a ford truck they are the blue ones
1997 wrangler
38.5/14.5 tsl sx
Ballistic fab beadlocks
cobra 19 cb
superwinch 9500lb winch
8 inch fabtech rock crawler kit
3 inch body lift
and more...

#3 User is offline   Quicksand 

• Corporal

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:33 AM

View PostRockTime, on 21 November 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

the fan did wonders for me also another thing u need to do is injectors out of a ford truck they are the blue ones

Yes on my wish list as far as a E-fan goes, on the injectors been debating which ones to get. I also been looking at some 4 hole spray pattern ones. Then theres the ones at 505 performance. O yeah as far as e-fans goes I dont know with to go with a expensive flex a lite or like a tauras fan. At the same time I am concern about reliability.

#4 User is offline   RockTime 

• Captain

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

the ford ones are a 4 hole and as far a fan i went with the one out of a camaro it fits perfect with 2 cuts

the ford ones are a 4 hole and as far a fan i went with the one out of a camaro it fits perfect with 2 cuts
1997 wrangler
38.5/14.5 tsl sx
Ballistic fab beadlocks
cobra 19 cb
superwinch 9500lb winch
3 inch body lift
and more...

#5 User is offline   Quicksand 

• Corporal

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:08 AM

View PostRockTime, on 22 November 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Let me ask what size engine you have?

#6 User is offline   RockTime 

• Captain

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

4 cyl just like you
1997 wrangler
38.5/14.5 tsl sx
Ballistic fab beadlocks
cobra 19 cb
superwinch 9500lb winch
3 inch body lift
and more...

#7 User is offline   Quicksand 

• Corporal

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:44 AM

View PostRockTime, on 23 November 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

4 cyl just like you

Well Ok then good for you now we taliking. Ok what kind of injectors are they exactly? what year model did they come out of? Do you know the specs on them. O yes what year did your fan come from? How do you have the E-fan hooked up. Do you have a thermo swicth and relay or do you run it directly to a off on swicth or what. I know lots of questions.

#8 User is offline   RockTime 

• Captain

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

i have not yet put them in my jeep but i got them out of a ford lightning they are 24lb which is .07 from out stock but they are 4 spray our factory ones are 23.3 lb and for the fan i think it come out of a 97 area camaro and yes i have it hooked up love it. i have a thermo switch on it.
1997 wrangler
38.5/14.5 tsl sx
Ballistic fab beadlocks
cobra 19 cb
superwinch 9500lb winch
3 inch body lift
and more...

#9 User is offline   Quicksand 

• Corporal

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

View PostRockTime, on 25 November 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

i have not yet put them in my jeep but i got them out of a ford lightning they are 24lb which is .07 from out stock but they are 4 spray our factory ones are 23.3 lb and for the fan i think it come out of a 97 area camaro and yes i have it hooked up love it. i have a thermo switch on it.

So she works pretty good with the electric fan, thats good. Yeah my rig runs so nice right now all the way around from crawling to wide open throttle Its hard to imagine it beening any faster. I am refering to the electric fan. My factory belt driven fan is lighter than stock because I got brave once awhile back and started triming the blades down little by little. Yeah I was worried making sure I would not reach the point of no return. Along with trimming the blades down I also bent the outer inside corners of each blade to reduce just a little drag as it spins. Well to my surprise it worked. My engine felt like it was spooling up a little quicker. Reaching higher RPMs faster of the line. Another plus to my surprise was she was even cooling better than before. The question is how much wieght was taking off of it. I dont know. I dont think it was that much, but it is a tad lghter. I believe the positive results came more from the bent angle of the blades. O yeah each blade also has a half inch hole drilled into it towards the end of each one. I know sounds a bit getto but she is working well. I did that mod about a year ago. I have had thoughts to mess with it a bit more, but maybe I should just leave well enough alone, thats spooky. But for now as far as a electric fan it will have to stay on my wish list for awhile. These days extra funds are hard to come by. Happy Wheeling my fellow jeeper. O yeah hope you had a good thanks giving.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic