Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC20 re-gear

#1 User is offline   sgt1022 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

I'm planning to re-gear my AMC20 from 3.08 to 4.10. I will be checking backlash and contact patterns. My question is, in everyones experience, would the same shim amount be used on the carrier for the 4.10's as the 3.08's?

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

From my understanding every time you re gear especially with new carrier checking backlash and contact patterns is the right way to go as you mentioned you were going to do. I would not use the same shim amount, yes by coincidence it could take the same but I would not chance it.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:55 AM

I can't remember where the 'Case Break' is on your diff, I don't think they make a 'THICK' gear set for the 20, once you go past a certain higher ratio the pinion head diameter gets smaller to the point you need a thicker ring gear OR a different carrier in the pumpkin. I would look into that :scratch: , you may need a different carrier to run 4.10's, undamaged shims can be reused, it's the thickness of the shim pack that will change, I would get a rebuild kit, the Master Kits come with carrier bearings as well as all the shims you'll need.
89 YJ, AMC 360, 102" OF NOISE AND BOOGER WELDS
MAKING GOOD DECISIONS COMES FROM EXPERIENCE ...
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM MAKING BAD DECISIONS ...

#4 User is offline   sgt1022 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

Thanks guys. According to my research if you have less that 3.08 and going higher you would need to change carriers. I dont need to change carriers to go to 4.10's since i have 3.08's. I planned on installing a master kit. Might as well get new stuff in there while I'm at it.

#5 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

Get yourself a spare bearing set of the same manufacturer as the bearings you are going to use. Have the inside diameter honed for a fit that you can install by hand, snug not a press fit. Start out with the same amount of shims, check the backlash and pattern, and adjust from there. Once you have the correct shim pack, press the permamanent bearing on. Be prepared to spend the day getting it right.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#6 User is offline   XrayDivr 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

my 2 cents, but thats a lot of work for such a small gear change, make sure your going deep enough to make yourself happy, otherwise your gonna find yourself doing it all again later, when you decide you should've had 4:56 or even 5:11's, you can do the math if you want i think you set up a ratio, like stock tire size over stock gear ratio equals new tire size over x
president: jubicon express off-road

at jubicon express i'm not only the president but i'm also a client.

#7 User is offline   sgt1022 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:35 PM

do i need to use new bearings. could i use the old ones if they arew still good?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic