• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Want to Trek Cross Country Driving across USA

#1 User is offline   TomViola 

• Civilian Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

Hello Jeepsters

I am new to JeepTalk, and a new Jeep owner. I own a Trail Rated, Jeep Wrangler Sport 2Dr 2011. I am 61 years old and expect to retire and trek across the USA. The first step of my plan was to get the vehicle I wanted to use on my trek. Two months ago I purchased my Jeep. So Step One accomplished. Next I want to get a utility trailer (5' long, 4' wide and 40 inches deep) with a closeable top, somewhat weather resistent. Hoping to spend less than $600 for it. I have been developing a travel route and lists of items to go into my utility trailer. My lists fall into 8 Categories. Each category represents a Tub or Container inside my Utility Trailer: Clothes, Kitchen, Tools, Camping, Tent, Electronics, First Aid and Cooler. In my earlier years, I was an avid backpacker. I plan to employ much of the skills and experience from backpacking to this trek, tempered by the reality that I am not as young as I was when I was backpacking. I plan to be on the road for approximately four months. For much of the trek I expect I will be solo. (My wife still has many years to go before she can retire.) But I expect that along the way my wife will join me for two weeks, and others will pick out a leg of the trip to join me. (So I will pick them up and drop them off at various airports along the way.) My trek route and my lists are on Excel Spreadsheets. If anyone wants my lists and route let me know and I can email them. Or if anyone wishes to share their trail proved lists, please send them to viola.t@comcast.net

If anyone knows of a good deal on a utility trailer that meets my specs, please let me know.

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

:welcome: Your plans are a great experience.

Please keep us posted with pictures and news in the Wheeling and Events Aftermath forum. :2thumup:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   JBYDesign 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

sounds like a great trip... definitely keep us updated on your adventure! best of luck and safe travels

trailers

http://www.evo-pod.com/
'04 TJ 3" BL lift and 2.5" OME with 32" KM2s custom short cab frenched tail lights bedlinered int. shrockworks sliders custom H1 style intake, 20mm motor can consol, blacked out everything!

#4 User is offline   TomViola 

• Civilian Newbie

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

View Postjbydesign, on 15 August 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

sounds like a great trip... definitely keep us updated on your adventure! best of luck and safe travels

trailers

http://www.evo-pod.com/

Thank you. I apprciate the link for the trailers, but I need more storage space and I really do not want to spend that amount money.

Tom

#5 User is offline   UTKJinFL 

• Captain

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

So you bought a 4x4 to drive across the US but will not be purchasing an offroad capable trailer? This gives my brain a tummy ache. You can find a military trailer for about that much or less then pay someone to patch up the rust and fabricate a top for it. Warning: mad skillz shown here -

Posted Image

Posted Image

FL suffers from a bit of a talent vacuum right now so I'm not sure who can pull this off for you.

Or you could go for the trailer of the serious expedition enthusiast:
Adventure Trailers

Your budget is unrealistic for the most part. You can get a Harbor Freight trailer and bolt a roof-top cargo box to it and still be over budget.
Peep da red
Stronger than trailer

Delay your retirement and do it right!
MOAB Tested
2006 KJ Turbo Diesel
1997 4Runner w/stuff

#6 User is offline   Lulu Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

This sounds exciting Tom. I've actually decided to plan my own cross country trip in my Jeep for this coming Spring. Although my purposes will be more for sight seeing and working along the way. I do not anticipate doing much off-roading other than to drive some simple dirt trails at times due to the nature of my tour.

I'm looking at doing a roof rack to help carry my extra supplies. I plan to pack light and couch surf as much as I can during my trip. I'll carry a minimum of camping supplies that will work for me in locations that a couch/spare bed is not available or that I want to spend a few days outdoors exploring (such as the Grand Canyon). I'd love to see your spreadsheet. It could help me plan my trip better. I'll PM you my email address.

Since I'm just getting started with my plans, anyone have any opinions or suggestions on the best and affordable roof racks? I just found this one on Quadratec's site. This is the style I'm going for.
SMILES - former SFJC member - no modifications.
Lulu - Black & Tan German Shepherd - can read: Fun with Lulu, RIP May 25, 2021
Blue - '01 TJ Wrangler Sport - 2.5" lift on 33's sold when I moved to Italy

Frieda - Our first "Jeep" in Italy was a '98 Honda Civic, but Lulu didn't know it was really a car.
Rosie - '11 Jeep Compass Limited

"Well-behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

#7 User is offline   TomViola 

• Civilian Newbie

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

Hello Lulu,

I sent you the spreadsheet. Although it sounds like I may be asking for your advice. Seems you will be trekking long before I do.

Good luck, happy motoring.... be safe,

-- Tom

#8 User is offline   UTKJinFL 

• Captain

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

I am a well of western knowledge.
MOAB Tested
2006 KJ Turbo Diesel
1997 4Runner w/stuff

#9 User is offline   Lulu Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

View PostUTKJinFL, on 31 August 2011 - 09:36 AM, said:

I am a well of western knowledge.

Then I may need to consult with you as I plan my trip and perhaps make it a point to meet with you somewhere on my journey. :)
SMILES - former SFJC member - no modifications.
Lulu - Black & Tan German Shepherd - can read: Fun with Lulu, RIP May 25, 2021
Blue - '01 TJ Wrangler Sport - 2.5" lift on 33's sold when I moved to Italy

Frieda - Our first "Jeep" in Italy was a '98 Honda Civic, but Lulu didn't know it was really a car.
Rosie - '11 Jeep Compass Limited

"Well-behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic