Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

shift help

#1 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

hey gang my jeep is on a 4 inch lift with 33 inch wheels with a 5 speed manual 4.2 inline 6 now the problem is I cannot use 5th gear one guy said upgrade the front and back differential cost 600 bucks andother guy say cut a plate cover on the tranny so the shifter can reach the gear ?? HEEEEEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!

#2 User is offline   BlackOpsPete 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:14 AM

Is it interfering with the floor pan? If so cutting the hole a little bigger will help. Do you have alot of slop in the shifter? If so there are ways to tighten it up which shortens the throw a bit.

Differentials have nothing to do with shifting into 5th...
88 YJ "OLYMPIC" EDITION - 4.2, BA10, TrueTrac LSDs Front and Rear, Posilock, 4.10 gears, 4"RC Lift, 3"spacers, 2"shackles, GM HEI Dist, Motorcraft 2100 carb, SYE and Tom Woods CV drive shaft...

Once you go SQUARE you'll...take that dare!...like you don't care!...and make them stare!...Cause you got a pair!...of Squares :)

#3 User is offline   calderman87 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

Are you trying to say you don't even use fifth gear because you can't get there with your current set up? Or are you saying that you physically can't shift intothe gear because it pops out or won't engage etc? Of the first then you may want to consider regearing your axles, if it's the latter you may consider cutting a little of the floor board to give you room to shift. Need more info to be of better help.
'06 TJ fixed.
2.5" OME Lift
Rubicon Express (pre 4wp) Track Bar in the front
OME Track Bar bracket in the rear
JKs Quick Disconnects
3"BL waiting to come off for my 1.25"BL
33x12.50R15 Mickey Thompson Baja Radial ATZ's
15x8 Cragar Soft 8's
Trail Gear front and rear bumpers.
Red LED interior lights.

#4 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

Need more on the specific problem... Sounds like you don't USE 5th as it will not hold speed on the highway, more H.P. or re-gear the Diffs is the answer. BEEN THERE... if 33's are what you are going to run for a LONG time, 4.11's in the diffs should work to keep a little HWY power and the RPM'S in a Happy Place at Hwy speed. If it's Dana 35/30 combo any bigger on the tires will probably mean an axle upgrade... My 4.2 came with 115 H.P. :banghead: :banghead: and 3.07's in the Diffs.
89 YJ, AMC 360, 102" OF NOISE AND BOOGER WELDS
MAKING GOOD DECISIONS COMES FROM EXPERIENCE ...
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM MAKING BAD DECISIONS ...

#5 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

View PostBig Red One, on 12 August 2011 - 06:59 PM, said:

Need more on the specific problem... Sounds like you don't USE 5th as it will not hold speed on the highway, more H.P. or re-gear the Diffs is the answer. BEEN THERE... if 33's are what you are going to run for a LONG time, 4.11's in the diffs should work to keep a little HWY power and the RPM'S in a Happy Place at Hwy speed. If it's Dana 35/30 combo any bigger on the tires will probably mean an axle upgrade... My 4.2 came with 115 H.P. :banghead: :banghead: and 3.07's in the Diffs.

hey guys thanks for the reply and the answer to the ? is yep I shift to 5th gear but cannot accelerate when I go back to 4th I am able to speed so yep its like I cannot u 5th

#6 User is offline   BlackOpsPete 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

Tire size? Stock gear?

If you have larger tires you effectively have reduced your gear ratio. Welcome to jeep modification 101.
88 YJ "OLYMPIC" EDITION - 4.2, BA10, TrueTrac LSDs Front and Rear, Posilock, 4.10 gears, 4"RC Lift, 3"spacers, 2"shackles, GM HEI Dist, Motorcraft 2100 carb, SYE and Tom Woods CV drive shaft...

Once you go SQUARE you'll...take that dare!...like you don't care!...and make them stare!...Cause you got a pair!...of Squares :)

#7 User is offline   ebenk17 

• Corporal

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

How much does it normally cos to regear I have a similar problem... I have an 01 tj with a 4 inch lift and 35s also I don't want to lose power in my low gears

#8 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

View Postebenk17, on 03 September 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

How much does it normally cos to regear I have a similar problem... I have an 01 tj with a 4 inch lift and 35s also I don't want to lose power in my low gears

It depends on if you go with a locker while that have it out. I have a 02 with the 4" and 35" i run 4:56 gears and used to make the trip from Homestead to Ocala every weekend for a year.
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

#9 User is offline   ebenk17 

• Corporal

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

How much did you pay?

#10 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

View PostBig Red One, on 12 August 2011 - 06:59 PM, said:

yeah you hit it on the nose i can change into fifth but i can't gain speed on 4th i houl a### I have a guy thats gonna sell me an axel with the 4,10 gear in it but i keep hearing make a hole biger or regear AAAGGHHH!!!! I just wanna drive lol and yep my tires are 33s and the lift kit is 4 inches the other thing is my jeep is an 87 yj and the guys axle came off of a 90 yj whats your take am i gonna have trouble with the brake s n stuff

#11 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

What axles do you have now, if it's a D 35 in the rear and are considering an axle change, an 8.8 from an Explorer is a good choise... there are a TON in the junkyards, I saw 5 in the U-PICK-IT my last outing, you can find them with 4.10's and disc brakes, will run about $100.00 at the U-PICK-IT just need to put 1" spacers on your wheels as they are about 58" wide, not sure of the bolt pattern to fit YOUR rims. If you look hard enough a limited slip came in some.

#12 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

View PostBig Red One, on 23 September 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

What axles do you have now, if it's a D 35 in the rear and are considering an axle change, an 8.8 from an Explorer is a good choise... there are a TON in the junkyards, I saw 5 in the U-PICK-IT my last outing, you can find them with 4.10's and disc brakes, will run about $100.00 at the U-PICK-IT just need to put 1" spacers on your wheels as they are about 58" wide, not sure of the bolt pattern to fit YOUR rims. If you look hard enough a limited slip came in some.

? You can put axels from a ford explorer on the jeep? intresting but would i have to change the shifter as well from my tranny

#13 User is offline   Big Red One 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

A lot of people change JUST THE REAR to an 8.8, it's a very cheap upgrade, better brakes, stronger axle and a limited slip, the shifter will not be affected.

#14 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

View PostBig Red One, on 23 September 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

A lot of people change JUST THE REAR to an 8.8, it's a very cheap upgrade, better brakes, stronger axle and a limited slip, the shifter will not be affected.

damn i gotta educate myself on this better lol

#15 User is offline   JBYDesign 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

Yeah 8.8 is one way to go... or just find a set of used 4:10s and swap them in... they were on all of the 4 bangers with manual 5speeds... it will cost you about $100 per axels if you go with new bearings and seals...

I already picked up the gears... but will have to wait until my tummy tuck is done...

Oh forgot to mention that Log bouncing is not reccomended with the 8.8... yoke at the diff tends to snap!
'04 TJ 3" BL lift and 2.5" OME with 32" KM2s custom short cab frenched tail lights bedlinered int. shrockworks sliders custom H1 style intake, 20mm motor can consol, blacked out everything!

#16 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

View PostJBYDesign, on 23 September 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

Yeah 8.8 is one way to go... or just find a set of used 4:10s and swap them in... they were on all of the 4 bangers with manual 5speeds... it will cost you about $100 per axels if you go with new bearings and seals...

I already picked up the gears... but will have to wait until my tummy tuck is done...

Oh forgot to mention that Log bouncing is not reccomended with the 8.8... yoke at the diff tends to snap!

a 100 per axel where at !!! Dude !!! LOL I wont be doing any log bouncing anytime soon brother lol but tell me more man I really need to get this done with my jeep just one of the many things I need to do with it LOL

#17 User is offline   BlackOpsPete 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

If you looking to just bolt in better gearing the 410s axles out of a 4 banger are the ways to go. Axles can be swapped in a day. The 410s will drive 33' tires and you'll like the obvious difference.

The Ford 8.8 is a much better axle as noted above but you will need to do some welding of spring perches and a custom drive shaft at a minimum. So that is something to consider. If you plan on going crazy with the rig then doing it right the first time makes sense but only if you can afford it.

Re-gearing can cost anywhere from about $300 to $1200+ per axle depending on what you go with - used or new locker or open carrier. The D30 (front) and D35(rear) have a "carrier break" and you will likely need to get new carriers to go with your new gears like the 410s. I included the carrier replacement cost in the numbers above. You also will need seals, shims etc.

If you're not totally familiar with what's involved you will need to do some research and or get help.

#18 User is offline   Stomper4X4 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

View PostBlackOpsPete, on 23 September 2011 - 03:36 PM, said:

If you looking to just bolt in better gearing the 410s axles out of a 4 banger are the ways to go. Axles can be swapped in a day. The 410s will drive 33' tires and you'll like the obvious difference.

The Ford 8.8 is a much better axle as noted above but you will need to do some welding of spring perches and a custom drive shaft at a minimum. So that is something to consider. If you plan on going crazy with the rig then doing it right the first time makes sense but only if you can afford it.

Re-gearing can cost anywhere from about $300 to $1200+ per axle depending on what you go with - used or new locker or open carrier. The D30 (front) and D35(rear) have a "carrier break" and you will likely need to get new carriers to go with your new gears like the 410s. I included the carrier replacement cost in the numbers above. You also will need seals, shims etc.

If you're not totally familiar with what's involved you will need to do some research and or get help.

I'm not planning on going insane with it i just wanna be able to use te 5th gear and spare the egine some stress when i drive on the free way I think 4.10 axel swap might be the way ta go and nope i aint totally familiar with it but i am learnng everyday lol ooh boy

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic