JEEPTALK.net: Anti Theft Recommendations? - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anti Theft Recommendations? What options work best?

#1 User is offline   bigdaddy812 

• Private
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:29 AM

In college I drove a red CJ 1973 that was doorless....only rag top. I used the "bar" for about 2 days then it became too burdensome for me to keep locking it up. Who'd want a 73 rusty Jeep anyways? Recently I purchased a more modestly attractive 2006 Wrangler and has lots of nice xtras.

Initially, I made the mistake of locking my doors all the time. Eventually an "a hole" tore into my softtop and stole a few items from me. Now I do not keep anything of value in it but doors are left unlocked. I have read multiple post about Jeeps being targeted for theft for their parts and to export to other countries. I love my Jeep and although insured, I would not want to lose it hence my questions here....

What is the best method to deter theft and/or protect one's prized wheels? Alarms seem too easy to defuse by professionals. The bar is simply too annoying to put on and off....are GPS registries worth the risk/money? Killswitches?

I would greatly appreciate guidance from the Jeep veterans who know what has worked for them and their friends. Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

I just have a cheap alarm with a motion/proximity sensor that will warn anyone when theh get close to the Jeep. If they get too close or reach inside it will go off and it has a starter kill switch also.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   bigdaddy812 

• Private

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:05 AM

View PostJeepNWilly, on 26 June 2011 - 06:19 AM, said:

I just have a cheap alarm with a motion/proximity sensor that will warn anyone when theh get close to the Jeep. If they get too close or reach inside it will go off and it has a starter kill switch also.

what model/make? and price?... sounds like a good option... thanks for the tip..

#4 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

I think it is a K-9 with the proximity sensor inPlace of the shock sensor. It was around 100 if I remember. I have had it for a few years now.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   nero004 

• Captain

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

a good alarm from DEI such a viper or clifford with a proximity sensor and a tilt sensor to help against towing and wheel theft works great.
Official Mall Crawler

#6 User is offline   SeaMonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

Ah yes, wonderful Miami. I've lived in my house in Miami for 5 months now and have had my Jeep broken into 3 times. The latest was last night and they walked away with my stereo on the first night in a long time that I forgot to remove it.

It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of trading for an old Hyundai or something.
- 2000 TJ with big rubbery tires for going on trails and stuff.

#7 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

I am sorry to hear that. I leave nothing in my Jeep and never lock it to prevent any damage even though I have had my top slashed once. It sucks but it is not just Miami and not just Jeeps it is everywhere. 2 or 3 weeks ago my cousin's Pharmacy here in West Palm Beach was broken into at 3AM. They broke the door and went in. Did not care that the alarm was going off and that there were cameras.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

sorry to hear, Jorge...

#9 User is offline   BlackOpsPete 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:17 AM

I keep all my important stuff, tools and stereo face in my Tuffy center console. Quick and easy with a key lock. Looks good too.

I'm thinking of an alarm too.
88 YJ "OLYMPIC" EDITION - 4.2, BA10, TrueTrac LSDs Front and Rear, Posilock, 4.10 gears, 4"RC Lift, 3"spacers, 2"shackles, GM HEI Dist, Motorcraft 2100 carb, SYE and Tom Woods CV drive shaft...

Once you go SQUARE you'll...take that dare!...like you don't care!...and make them stare!...Cause you got a pair!...of Squares :)

#10 User is offline   1BadCJ5 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

I just came up with a trick ignition kill. Since my '73 CJ5 is totally open for everyone to see I used a latching relay with a magnetic reed switch. It interupts the ignition circuit going to the coil. By using a magnet you touch the reed switch and it completes the circuit and the engine will start. Touch the magnet again and the ignition is diabled. Also by connecting the power wire for the relay to the ignition on position you have to turn the ignition on, touch the magnet and then it will start.
Unfortunetly it's pretty easy to get to the ignition switch wiring behind the dash on any open Jeep. I'm installing a plate on the bottom lip of the dash. It will be attached to the firewall with thru bolts so that you have to open the hood to remove the nuts. Bottom line is they want bad enough they'll get it but for the amature crook if you make it so they have to work at it they'll hopefully leave alone.
If anybody wants any help give me a call at 954.290.1957. Ask for Russ

#11 User is offline   Livefree 

• Major

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

Move that's why we moved back to Ocala? Good luck
2002 JT X, 35" MTR Kavlar Goodyear tires, Trail Ready 15"x 10" aluminum Beadlock Rims. Ox Lockers both axles, Currie Anti-Rock, Dana 44’s with Chromoly axles , Custom bully up, Warn 9500ti, 4” long arm lift, 1-1/2” body lift, 1” motor mount lift and more. Atlas 2 speed Transfer case, Custom High Steering and Tom Woods Front and rear Drive shafts. Sniper Fab front Bumper, and Jeeperman Rear. T&T Zero HI line front fenders and corner wrap skins with 4" LED tail lights.

#12 User is offline   SeaMonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

View PostJeepNWilly, on 19 August 2011 - 08:07 AM, said:

I am sorry to hear that. I leave nothing in my Jeep and never lock it to prevent any damage even though I have had my top slashed once. It sucks but it is not just Miami and not just Jeeps it is everywhere. 2 or 3 weeks ago my cousin's Pharmacy here in West Palm Beach was broken into at 3AM. They broke the door and went in. Did not care that the alarm was going off and that there were cameras.

Oh, I never leave anything in it either, and I used to leave doors unlocked for the same reason. The first 2 times, they walked off with a grand total of about $3 and a pair of cheap sunglasses (they ignored the radio the first time).

These guys knew to unzip the window. Heck, when I came outside this morning, my windows were closed and the doors locked.

It's the lack of respect that bothers me the most. I work hard for my s###, just to have some coward thief mess with it in the middle of the night.
- 2000 TJ with big rubbery tires for going on trails and stuff.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic