Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cleaning Axle Tube

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 19 July 2003 - 11:30 AM

Presently and unfortunately I happen to be doing some service work to my front axle. Since everything is all apart I wanted to clean inside the axle tube. Even if you only 4 wheel on the rocks you still have some type of junk inside that tube.

This is easy if you have an empty pig with no seals, just push a few rags or whatever with a long stick and then clean out inside the diff. What happens if you have your carrier installed and you need to bring the dirt out of the tube?

The main concern here is how do you do it without pushing some of the dirt, mud, sand, or whatever back into the differential.

Take an old broom handle, find a long screw, drill the handle to size the screw. Cut a round piece of some type of light metal, I used an old license plate. Measure the diameter of your axle tube (I used 2"), punch a hole in the center, screw on to the broom handle and then cut almost half of it off.

Why cut half? If you don't you'll push all the dirt laying at the bottom of the tube back into the diff. Insert your new tool with the moon side up, this will clear all the dirt at the bottom of the tube, when you get to the end, turn your new tool, now the moon side will be at the bottom, pull out with some pressure and behold... you might have to do this a few times.

Btw, I can not take credit for this high tech tool. A good friend and I were discussing this last week over the phone giving me the idea. We need more ideas like this posted as it makes wheeling life a lot easier.

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   Daless2 

• Sergeant FirstClass
  • Group: Member

Posted 19 July 2003 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Jim, I like that.

You are right. There are so many little pointers and tips that each of us have. I think sometimes we believe becuase something is so simple to us that everyone must already know about it. That is generally far from the case.

I am all for learning all I can, big or small from everyone.

Thanks for putting this up,

Frank

#3 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2003 - 07:43 PM

I posted this on the suggestions thread, but how about a "Tips & Tricks" section?
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#4 User is offline   TJRon 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:20 AM

Hey Jim!

I got a good one on how not to do this job. Don't even think about vacuuming the dirt out. You'll pull the sand from the other end into the pumkin. Don't ask me how I know.

I've found it helps to flush the hell out of the tube with water before you begin. :drive:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic