Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diesel Help Needed

#1 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

Might be buying a Suburban with the 6.5 turbo diesel.

1st, is it a good drivetrain?

2nd, he says that at startup it studders for a few seconds then clears up. It also happens when the fuel tank is really low but is fine with a full tank. What could that be?
BUILD IN PROCESS:
YJ, Chevy 350/th350/np208, front & rear stretch, MileMarker 12k winch, D44 w/ OX Locker & 4.88's,
12-bolt w/ Detroit Locker & 4.88's, 38.50x14.50r15 TSL/SX, 15x14 Centerline Wheels

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

That studder could be the start of faulty injectors (expensive), might be something on the fuel tank as well. Hard to say.

Have him dump in a good diesel fuel additive that cleans up injectors, take it out and blow the heck out of it. This could clear up the problem. On old engines the new diesel detergent fuel does not have enough of the lubrication needed for the old trusty engines. I started to have the problem at idle, since I now throw in the additive it has gone away. Every now I then I get on it if it sees to much city driving. This is all speculation on your problem but it might be worth a shot.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

As Jim said, probably injectors. There may be some crap in the tank as well, and/or the pick up tube is not near the bottom of the tank, not on the bottom, but near. You don't want it in the bottom as it will pick up all the crap the tank has.

If you have time get an oil sample and send it to a lab and see what comes up. If you need help with interpretation of the results, PM me.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic