Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Towing w/ a Highlander?

#1 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

It's time to turn in the wife's lease and she likes the new Highlander. I was checking out the specs and it seams they've beafed it up a bit. Question is; do you all think this would be able to tow my jeep around? It's a YJ with tube fenders, comp-corner guards, full width axles and 38x14s, winch. Eventually it'll get a full cage.

V6 Toyota Highlander
3.5L DOHC - 270hp @6200 - 248lb ft @ 4700

Tow Package
5000-lb. towing capacity, 500lb tongue weight, HD radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, transmission oil cooler with water and air cooler, 150-amp alternator and prewired harness
BUILD IN PROCESS:
YJ, Chevy 350/th350/np208, front & rear stretch, MileMarker 12k winch, D44 w/ OX Locker & 4.88's,
12-bolt w/ Detroit Locker & 4.88's, 38.50x14.50r15 TSL/SX, 15x14 Centerline Wheels

#2 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Do you want to flat-tow or are you gonna be using a trailer?? I don't see any issues at all if you flat tow but if you want to use a trailer i think it might be pushing it a little. Your jeep once you are done is going to be on the 4000 LB range right?? a decent trailer is going to be around 1500 LB, thats a bit over the towing capacity, maybe if you play around and get it perfectly balanced you'll be able to do it.

:2:

#3 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

It'll be flat towed for a while. Then eventually i might get a trailer. I might just have to settle for the Tundra :devilgrin:

My other dilema is that i plan to get either a popup or motorhome next year.

• If i get get a popup i can tow it easier, it's cheaper and stores better. Downside is that i'd have to choose between towing the popup or the jeep.

• An rv is a lot more money and harder to store but i can easily tow the jeep anywhere.

The other option would be two buy a longer flatbed and tow the popup and jeep on it. Downside to that is storing that long trailer.
BUILD IN PROCESS:
YJ, Chevy 350/th350/np208, front & rear stretch, MileMarker 12k winch, D44 w/ OX Locker & 4.88's,
12-bolt w/ Detroit Locker & 4.88's, 38.50x14.50r15 TSL/SX, 15x14 Centerline Wheels

#4 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

I trailer tow with a Chevy Trailblazer. It has the 4.2 inline 6, which is making 275 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 275 ft-lbs. of torque at 3,800 rpm. It's rated to tow 6300 pounds. Honestly, it's not the ideal towing solution, but it works just fine. If i drive slow enough, I can squeak 13-14 mpg out of it...@ 70, I'm getting 10. I've trailered the Jeep to TN, GA 3x and numerous times to Ocala and mid-Florida. It has coil springs in the rear which causes it to sway more than w/ leafs, but I added a set of air bags in the rear and an anti-sway control bar and its much better now. Also added a brake controller for using the trailer brakes which made a huge difference...

-dave

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

What about a Toyota Sequoia :question:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#6 User is offline   MilesAway 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

View PostJim B, on 04 February 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

What about a Toyota Sequoia :question:

If you go for the tundra or the sequoia make sure to cary extra gas on the trailer. I have a tundra and had to install a 46 gal tank in it, as it only gets about 8 mpg. Just spring for the motor home that way the fuel is the same and you get the larger tank from the get go and if you run out of gas atleast you will have your bed with you

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic