• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Death by GPS

#1 User is offline   logandzwon 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

Death By GPS on Desert Article.

I trust my GPS to get me home again. Then again, most places we wheel aren't that deep.
Black 04 TJ Rubi, Snorkel, winch, lift - R.I.P.
Currently I just have a bunch of parts I'm trying to make into a Jeep.

#2 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

The use of a GPS device also requires a little common sense. Some people just put the destination and follow it's every direction but you need to look ahead and see where it is actually taking you.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   athos76 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

My GPS has failed me before. But it wasn't Death Valley... it was in the middle of nowhere Alabama. Trying to find an old grass strip airfield, where I was picking up an airplane to trailer home, the GPS literally says "I'm sorry, I can no longer offer assistance in this location. Good Bye." Most of the folks out in that area were nice, but it happens that the two we stopped to ask for directions really REALLY wanted our vehicle and trailer. Wanted it to the point of following us and trying to cut us off...

#4 User is offline   logandzwon 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

View Postathos76, on 27 February 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

My GPS has failed me before. But it wasn't Death Valley... it was in the middle of nowhere Alabama. Trying to find an old grass strip airfield, where I was picking up an airplane to trailer home, the GPS literally says "I'm sorry, I can no longer offer assistance in this location. Good Bye." Most of the folks out in that area were nice, but it happens that the two we stopped to ask for directions really REALLY wanted our vehicle and trailer. Wanted it to the point of following us and trying to cut us off...

That's kind of scary dude. For street navigation I have the TomTom app in my iPhone. Plus the stock google maps to fall back-on, but that only works if I'm in range of cellular data.
Black 04 TJ Rubi, Snorkel, winch, lift - R.I.P.
Currently I just have a bunch of parts I'm trying to make into a Jeep.

#5 User is offline   TheProblem 

• Civilian Newbie

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

View Postlogandzwon, on 04 March 2011 - 10:27 AM, said:

That's kind of scary dude. For street navigation I have the TomTom app in my iPhone. Plus the stock google maps to fall back-on, but that only works if I'm in range of cellular data.

I do the same with my iphone. If I know there is no service where I am going I do a print screen of the map or satelite image. Then it will be saved to my phone in the camera roll.

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:48 AM

Willy is correct in saying that you should always be aware of where your GPS is taking you. When I travel cross country I notice that every time I stop overnight it recalculates a different way, sometimes taking you off the highways just to give you the so call "faster route". Once of the reasons when I purchase a GPS it has to have in where I can enter my own route, some models don't have this. I enter the way I want to go, save it and that is the end.

On the trail and on the road I have maps. A GPS is a tool that you use to your advantage. Yes they come in handy but so does a map when you run out of battery or your electronics takes a crap. And yes (only on the road, never on the trail), when I'm lazy I rely on it at times but I still have a map.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic