Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Auto Scanner

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Toying witht the idea of getting one, don't know much about them. Tired of going to the auto parts and using theirs which do not give enough info.

Don't want to spend much and I looked into these. Do any of you have any others you recommend or use :question:

The Actron 9550 is one of the best selling code scanners on the Internet at the time of this writing. The reason being is that it is easy to use and has a few advanced features that may be useful in diagnosing and repairing check engine lights on cars.
This diagnostics scanner will read and erase codes, as well as providing the definition of the stored code. The automotive scanner is also capable of taking a snapshot of the data stream that can be reviewed off the car.

With the Actron cp9550 You can also view the status of your cars inspection and maintenance monitors. Some states use similar technology for a quick check of the emission system. This is critical for a vehicle passing state mandated emissions testing.

The 9550 will interface and work well with any vehicle with the OBD 2 system. All of these code scanners are C.A.N. capable. C.A.N. stands for controlled area network and is mandatory on all vehicles from 2007 Up to present day. The price and the usability make this unit my recommendation for the beginner Diy auto repair mechanic.

Posted Image

Amazon Price: Actron 9550

Actron CP9180 Diagnostic code scanner with live record / playback data capability and O2 monitor test function for OBD II 96 and up vehicles.

I use the 9180 more than any scan tool that I own. I recommend this unit for intermediate users or even beginners that want to have a code scanner that they can grow into. The documentation included with the unit can teach you how to use the more advanced features.

This car scanner can be connected to your PC and updated via a USB cable. And yes, this cable is included in the package. This function also allows you to print data that the scanner has retrieved and provide it to your auto repair shop.

This can cut down on your diagnostic costs and will also show your shop that you know a thing or two about check engine lights. The oxygen sensor test is also a very useful function.

If you have set a rich or lean code or even codes that have to do with catalyst efficiency. The ability to run this test is a must-have to pinpoint lazy o2 sensors or open wiring. This code scanner is not a lot more money than the above two scanners mentioned.

In my opinion, you get a lot of bang for your buck's If you invest in this full-featured automotive diagnostic scanner. Take advantage of the auto scanner reviews from other do it yourself car people on the Actron 9180.

Posted Image

Amazon Price: CP9180
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   StuckZilla 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

I picked up a OBDC scanner from HF for 89 bucks a year back. It's worked well. Used it sucessfully on a Lexus R300, Mazda MPV and Toyota Tundra. The unit reports codes, failures as well as pendings. The unit is also reports snapshot data though I've not really played with it much. Snapshot informaiton is data values reported by sensor (temp, RMP etc) at the time of failure, useful if diagnosing no code failures.
SFJC President
99 TJ - Wrangler Sport
35" Procomp MT, 4.56 RP, 4" Susp, 1" Body, 1" Motor Mount Lift
F: Detroit TrueTrac LS, Chromoly Shafts, Slotted & Drilled Rotors
R: Detroit Soft-Locker & 30 Spline D35c, SYE
Smitty XRC8000 Winch on A-Z Plate & Hella Lights

#3 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

There is also an iPhone app with a device that will do that plus other stuff.
http://www.devtoaste.../rev/index.html
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   StuckZilla 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

View PostJeepNWilly, on 07 January 2011 - 06:18 PM, said:

There is also an iPhone app with a device that will do that plus other stuff.
http://www.devtoaste.../rev/index.html

Dang - they really do have an app for everything on those iPhones!
SFJC President
99 TJ - Wrangler Sport
35" Procomp MT, 4.56 RP, 4" Susp, 1" Body, 1" Motor Mount Lift
F: Detroit TrueTrac LS, Chromoly Shafts, Slotted & Drilled Rotors
R: Detroit Soft-Locker & 30 Spline D35c, SYE
Smitty XRC8000 Winch on A-Z Plate & Hella Lights

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Darn Willy, you sure know how to make a guy spend money.

I looked and read the reviews on Rev and the other apps comparable. It seems like Rev is the way to go out of all the apps that were mentioned, stay away from DashCommand (seems like this one is horrible). There are a few things you must do to get Rev to communicate which is fairly simple.

Now comes the purchasing of the OBDII, there are a few companies, some in Germany and that Euro money is high. The PLX in the US seems like the way to if I was going to purchase one. The model was the Kiwi Wifi, Amazon has it with shipping for $149. Then you have to purchase the Rev, they have a free version. The regular version is $40 (unless you know someone :grin:).

I would have to decide between this and the two that I originally posted in my first post which were rated very high. I just have to determine my use which will help me decide which one I purchase. Good find on the Rev iPhone app, neat stuff. :ya:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#6 User is offline   dgray69 

• Private

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

This is the one I just bought at advanced auto, $250.00 great investment its the 9580
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

I like the one you posted, I see it on Amazon for $158 Delivered

The only thing is that I have a 1995 obd1 (think they require a cable and not sure if it can be adapted) and I'm wondering if it will read it.

Does it explain the definitions well and what to do :question:

I was actually thinking of going with the cheaper one I originally posted but now I'm not so sure.
El Niņo

#8 User is offline   Mr.Bead 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

Jim if you still need one call Shawn and see which one he picked up not to long ago. I know he used on his truck a while ago and in Las Cruces he used it on his TJ as well. I think it might have come with all the plugs needed.
2001 TJ SAHARA, sitting on jackstands in my garage 1/2 built............ Dreaming of wheeling it again soon

#9 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:24 AM

I will, still looking, been procrastination on this. I really like the one dgray69 posted. Not sure if I can justify the money, need to get a few more engine lights to come on :grin: You know my signature... Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it. :lol:
El Niņo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic