Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jeeptalk Work In Progress

#1 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:06 AM

We are now finalizing Jeep Talk's upgrade after intensive testing in addition to custom modifications. We are notifying all members that JeepTalk will be Off Line ( on and off) starting late Saturday the 18 of December 2010, possibly Sunday. Some will not even notice if we get it back up soon. If we encounter problems and have to shut down for a week, do not alarm yourselves. We want to do this right the first time. I can not remember when JeepTalk was down for updates more than 24 hours since 2003. Our bandwidth is stellar.

The process is on going and it can take a week to finish. We will try to bring the board up within 24 hours and continue working in the background for the next week or so. There could be short times in where it can be off for a few and back on within minutes after the first major shutdown. This is normal. We expect members to report any issues by posting on this section of the forum. If you encounter something critical please use the Contact form tab located at the top of each page.

We have been testing for a while now and we believe you will not be disappointed as there are many new features. Some of you will have to get used to as PMs are now called Conversations and you can invite anyone to them which they now list in forum form. We have status updates (sort of like a twitter), you can sync with your facebook/twitter account and much more. The moderator panel has extensively improved as well and slides pics from Flickr can be right on the post. Too many to list. If you go to the help tab there will be explanations on how to use most of the features.

The looks of Jeep Talk will be similar but at the same time we have dressed it up a bit. We thank those members who have tested and gave us feedback for the past 6 months. One more important issue. The new updates will not work properly with older versions of Internet Explorer or Firefox. Please update your computers to have IE8 and Firefox 3.6. Most other browsers will be fine if you have the later versions but we can not guarantee this.

I have been advised that some of you will have withdrawals if the board is down.
Please have patience, contacting the Moderators on when it will be back up will not do it any faster.

Continue to have fun,

Admin

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

Thank you for all your hard work. You took no prisoners in the way you coded all the features in addition to the basic and movement of the skin. :2thumup:

Btw, thank you for taking care of us all these years. :bat: I know that I have personally challenged you at times. :rof:

Being anal is common between us. :yahoo:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

Thank you as well.

I would like to offer that if anyone gets withdrawals, they can go to :rof: Street2Mud and do what ever they need to do for that week.

Just a thought,
JimII
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#4 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:37 PM

I say he has done a great job on the new site and I was glad to be part of the testing group :rof:
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

We apologize for the inconvenience. It took almost 24 hours. A lot of data, custom work had to be move and installed. We are still working in the background to clean things up a bit. Please report any issues that you may find or need help with. I'm sure some of the Moderator would be glad to help as well.

Many new features, please read the help section by going to the link on top.

For those of you that have an iPhone, JeepTalk will now detect and have a dedicated easier to read skin when viewing from the iPhone. There is also a dedicated application you can download from iTunes. I've tested both and your really don't need the application as it is just as fast. There are Facebook and Twitter icons that will share content with your account.

Google maps are now easier to post, all you need is to click on the bbcode and enter the link. A map will appear on your post. There are new icons in the posting editor, if you hover over them you will receive help on what they accomplish. The new media icon will do youtube, flickr albums, etc. Flickr video is still done with the bbcode from the "Other Styles drop down menu on the editor.

Even though we had a message regarding the board being down we received many inquiries. We might have to send a blanket email to all the JeepTalk members that the board is back up.

Have fun,
Admin

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thank you. Looks great!:bounce:

Few things that I noticed for the benefit of everyone. On the main page you can close an open the right side boxes.

Check your PM or now Conversations. I had folders for saved messages and they are now all in the inbox. Because of the file structure I had to create new folders and move the old messages there. The new "Conversations" are now different in the way it preserves the info.

Forgot, a lot of neat things on the member settings. :ya:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#7 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

Haven't had a chance to play with the site but I'm lovin the iPhone mobile version so far.
BUILD IN PROCESS:
YJ, Chevy 350/th350/np208, front & rear stretch, MileMarker 12k winch, D44 w/ OX Locker & 4.88's,
12-bolt w/ Detroit Locker & 4.88's, 38.50x14.50r15 TSL/SX, 15x14 Centerline Wheels

#8 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

We appreciate any feedback from any of the members, good or bad. Some people might like one option while others might not like the same option. Nevertheless we would like to hear good or bad suggestions. Interfaces can always be improved. If we don't receive feedback than we will never know.

Some members will also feel uncomfortable with the new navigational features, kind of like going from Windows XP to Win7 or a Mac. It takes getting used to until it finally clicks in. This update had to be done because of the progression with all the new Internet Browsers that are now changing code. The old interface would of worked only in compatibility mode and we were not sure for how long. Keep in mind that the look and feel has nothing to do with working interface.

Note: I've received a message from a Moderator regarding the main page side boxes that show on the right by default. This can be closed out by clicking on the X on top to the right of the side box.

We firmly believe that once members spend some time on it, the power of the JeepTalk interface with all the custom options will be by far one of the best that are out there.

Admin

#9 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

I think it STINKS, looks Horrible, UGLY, to many things going on, confusing!

BUT, if you want to try your programming skills and try NEW THINGS again, :) Go over to Street2Mud and play there :rof: I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind this AWESOME Set-up/Forum.

You out did yourself again! :cool: :ya:

Thanks for the hard work. :thumbsup: :2thumup:

#10 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

How many of you have noticed the new topic preview without going into the topic :question:

It's not a new thing with forums (rare) but I like the ajax on how fast and how it does not take any load. :ya:

I don't mean the Ajax cleaning powder either. :grin:
El Niņo

#11 User is offline   RickM610 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

Found it now... Board looks good!

View PostJim B, on 20 December 2010 - 01:45 PM, said:

How many of you have noticed the new topic preview without going into the topic :question:

It's not a new thing with forums (rare) but I like the ajax on how fast and how it does not take any load. :ya:

I don't mean the Ajax cleaning powder either. :grin:

2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara Unl. - 35" X 13.50" Mickey Thompson A/T - 20" Chrome Metal Moto Wheels - 5.5 Rock Krawler triple threat suspension lift - Tom Woods front & rear drive shafts - Fox Steering Stabilizer - ARB Bull Front Bumper w/Smittybuilt winch - Mopar Off Road Rear Bumper w/tire carrier - 75 WX ST Cobra CB Radio - Mopar Trail Guide GPS

http://www.myjeepspace.com/RickM610

My Jeep (JK BEAST) on Facebook

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:35 AM

Many of you have asked...

how do I check all the new postings since I last logged in?

Look at the top right "View new content".

Admin

#13 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

Question, how do you disable your signature when posting a new post or ..... The old forum had a box to be checked/unchecked & I don't see it on the new forum.

How do you de-select your signature so it will not show if need be?

#14 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

View PostRollbar, on 11 January 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

Question, how do you disable your signature when posting?

A new topic/post signature can be removed by doing the following:

1. Type your post on the editor
2. Look underneath the editor above the "add reply" " preview post" tabs.
3. To the left you will see "options" "click to configure options"
4. Window will open, choose your settings.

Admin

#15 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

Got it, I have got to get use to the FULL EDITOR button :banghead:

#16 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:06 AM

I like the format but seems I can't check posts within "last 24 Hours" or Within "last 3 Days Or "last week" the way I could with the old format.
Has this been eliminated or am I missing something?

#17 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:38 AM

View PostWardie, on 12 January 2011 - 01:06 AM, said:

Seems I can't check posts within "last 24 Hours" or Within "last 3 Days the way I could with the old format.
Has this been eliminated or am I missing something?

If you wish to check new post since you last logged in, go to "View New Content" located on the top right under the search box.

If you wish to check posts within last 24 hours, week, 2 weeks, etc you would navigate to the main page, scroll down until you see the Statistic box. on top of the main box there are 4 white letter heading titles, click on the one that says "Today's active content". At the bottom right of the page you will see a drop down box that lets you choose the interval dates.

Most of these settings (and new ones) are there. Most of you need to do a bit of discovery by looking, hovering and clicking on most things you see. You would be surprise on some of the features that you can use to make your surfing on Jeep Talk pleasant. Check the help section, when you don't find something there feel free to post and ask.

The question you asked was previously answered in a topic on this support forum section. View New Content vs Today's Active

Admin

#18 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

Is there a way to put a quick tab/clickable box for enable/disable your signature in a post like the old JT. This having to go to the FULL EDITOR every time and click on the + sign is a lot of steps.

Just asking.

Thanks,
JimII

#19 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

No there is not, there was not on the old version either on the quick reply which was a thin down box. The only extra step on the full editor is for you to click on the configure options. In the old version it was open and you had to do a lot of scroll down. Most did not use any of those settings.

Admin

#20 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

when reading a post and hovering the cursor on an emotion (smiley) :axwood:, before it would spell out the name axwood

#21 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

View PostTranyDoctor, on 18 January 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

when reading a post and hovering the cursor on an emotion (smiley) :axwood:, before it would spell out the name axwood

Correct, does not do this any longer because some of the emoticon codes where not the same as the image name (only some), members were getting confused. The emoticon code is what you go by, not the image code. Basically we eliminated the problem.

Admin

#22 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

View PostAdmin, on 18 January 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

Correct, does not do this any longer because some of the emoticon codes where not the same as the image name (only some), members were getting confused. The emoticon code is what you go by, not the image code. Basically we eliminated the problem.

Admin

:2thumbdown:

#23 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

I have been advised by the higher authority that you can now use emoticons (smilies) in the Recent Status Updates.
There is no menu, you will have to know the txt code to use.

Keep in mind that this is only a short thought of the day. If you want to go into details start a topic. :ya:
El Niņo

#24 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

View PostTranyDoctor, on 18 January 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

I just found a work around way to do this.
El Niņo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic