Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Truck Chips & Programmers

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

Would like some feed back from those of you who have Diesel Tow vehicles and have used a Chip or Programmer to increase performance in horse power, MPG and efficiency.

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 and purchased a programmer. I've been tracking all of the performance and my findings are a bit weird.

The programmer can increase of the following horsepower plus additional torque, 40 HP (recommended for towing), 60 HP and 100 HP.

My test include all around driving and towing a goose with 2 Jeeps.

Towing the Goose with 2 Jeeps: With the OEM settings I was getting between 7-8 MPGs running 75-80 MPH on average. Programmed in the 40 HP (towing) setting and it came out to 8-9 MPG. Towing with a single car trailer was more due to less weight. This includes up and down the mountains. It improved performance and added the extra 1 MPG

All around driving: With the added 40 HP I got 14 MPGs, took it back to OEM settings and I'm back to 17-18 MPG. :yahoo:

Seems like the all around driving while not in tow got the higher performance in the OEM settings. I looks like if you want added horse power for all around (don't know why) it will burn more fuel. I actually thought that it would improve the MPGs as well from all the advertising hype. :unsure:

Would like to compare these findings with some of you that are using Chips and Programmers.
Note: My calculations were done manually, not taken from the overhead computer display.

Btw, by using these you have to be careful and monitor your EGTs very closely if you don't with to damage your engine. Some people program the max horse power to drag around and that is when they run into trouble. :click: I have found out from what I have seen others tow vehicles (that had problems) that it is a good idea to have an EGT gauge even with OEM settings going up and down the mountains.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   Lost Sheep 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

Because you have a dodge you are limited to what you can use. The EDGE CTS is one of the best programmers out there but doesn't work with dodge. They are comming out with their "juice with attitude" progammer and chip that is for dodge trucks. Bully Dog Guage GT works with your truck, you will pick up a few more mpg and hp but risk blowing a trans.
Most people aren't brave, they are just too stupid to realize what they are doing.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4.0 with a 6 speed hand shaker: 4" Skyjacker lift, Super Lift bent Control Arms, High Rock front and rear bumpers, Rubicon Express Hand throttle ,Cragar 15" Soft 8's wrapped with 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers.

VP High Rollers Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

Yes, I already have a Smarty Jr. (MADS) which I've researched to being one of the simplest and reliable for the Dodge. Purchasing one is not the issue, it's my findings. Was wondering if any of you with Programmers and Chips have really tested the fuel consumption with the added horse and Torque.

They all say that you will pick up a few MPGs but I don't buy it. Keep in mind that the Programmers will also effect the overhead calculation console telling you that you are getting more when you are really not.

Do you have one and have you done manual calculations with and without :thumbsup:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#4 User is offline   Lost Sheep 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 27 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

I sell them and one of our guys has the Edge CTS in his Ford F-350. Not sure exactly how much HP he picked up box claims up to 152HP. He says he picked up 8 Mpg on Extreme mode Vs. lost 1mpg on economy mode. The programmer on extreme mode actually changes how the truck burns the fuel. On economy mode the truck is detuned and tries to use as little fuel as possible to get the job done, he found that in doing so he had to stand on the peddle a little more. In extreme mode the truck burns the fuel the most effectively to produce the most power meaning you don't waste fuel. In extreme mode he just had to keep his foot off the gas in order to pick up the Mpg's. His readings were not from the truck display but from filling the tank noting the miles running out nearly a tank of fuel and filling again. Take miles drivin/gallons fuel viola he had his answer.

I have heard similar responses from other customers with these programmers from 5 to 15 mpg.

I don't sell to many of the Bully Dogs because I don't feel they are a great product. I have had issues with their programmers.
Most people aren't brave, they are just too stupid to realize what they are doing.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4.0 with a 6 speed hand shaker: 4" Skyjacker lift, Super Lift bent Control Arms, High Rock front and rear bumpers, Rubicon Express Hand throttle ,Cragar 15" Soft 8's wrapped with 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers.

VP High Rollers Jeep Club

#5 User is offline   RunninBare 

• Major

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

I had the Diablosport 'hockey-puck' in my Dodge diesel dually. I found I was using more fuel in the performance mode because I would play with it on the street. I really didn't care about fuel mileage and really still don't...I drive a Jeep.
I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TZBTyTWOZCM
1-20-2013...end of an error

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:36 AM

View PostLost Sheep, on Sep 27 2010, 06:30 PM, said:

one of our guys has the Edge CTS in his Ford F-350. Not sure exactly how much HP he picked up box claims up to 152HP. He says he picked up 8 Mpg on Extreme mode Vs. lost 1mpg on economy mode. The programmer on extreme mode actually changes how the truck burns the fuel. On economy mode the truck is detuned and tries to use as little fuel as possible to get the job done, he found that in doing so he had to stand on the peddle a little more. In extreme mode the truck burns the fuel the most effectively to produce the most power meaning you don't waste fuel. In extreme mode he just had to keep his foot off the gas in order to pick up the Mpg's.

I have heard similar responses from other customers with these programmers from 5 to 15 mpg.

Interesting finding and makes a bit of sense. Next time I fuel up I'm going to program the higher 100 horse power rather than the economy for tow and see the results. :lol:

While towing I actually improved about 1 mpg for the same weight vs the OEM. On another note I've spoken to a few that have these programmers and have seen some reports, it's hard to believe that some of these people are reporting an increase as high as 15 mpg. :rof:
El Niņo

#7 User is offline   The Ruiner 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

View PostLost Sheep, on Sep 27 2010, 08:52 AM, said:

Because you have a dodge you are limited to what you can use. The EDGE CTS is one of the best programmers out there but doesn't work with dodge. They are comming out with their "juice with attitude" progammer and chip that is for dodge trucks. Bully Dog Guage GT works with your truck, you will pick up a few more mpg and hp but risk blowing a trans.

Ive had the Edge Juice with Attitude in my Dodge for over 3 years
John, AKA Fourty2!

#8 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:54 AM

View PostGlassman, on Oct 1 2010, 07:03 PM, said:

Ive had the Edge Juice with Attitude in my Dodge for over 3 years

Ok, so give us some figures. OEM MPG, Which Program MPG :ya:

I'm waiting for my OEM fuel tank to empty and I'm going to test the 60 HP and the 100 after to see which setting without towing gives the best MPG.

I would like to see if it is correct that by burning hotter the MPGs increase.

I also noticed that when I had the 40 HP (tow) programmed the EGTs took longer to come down at idle.
El Niņo

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic