JEEPTALK.net: Interface Update & WebBrowsers - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interface Update & WebBrowsers

Poll: Interface Update & WebBrowsers (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Web Browser do you use to navigate Jeep Talk?

1. IE7 (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. IE8 (10 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Firefox (12 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

4. Chrome (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

5. Safari (5 votes [15.62%])

Percentage of vote: 15.62%

6. Opera (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

We are looking at a major update interface for Jeep Talk. It will take a few months and some parts are user Web Browser dependent.

We would like for most of you to vote and tell us which Web Browser you are using so that we may prepare and have as few problems as possible.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Admin

#2 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

To insert special items i must use compatibility view on I8. will the new update address this issue?

#3 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:51 AM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Jul 6 2010, 08:38 AM, said:

To insert special items i must use compatibility view on I8. will the new update address this issue?

We can not guarantee this. We have been looking at the new code for months now, it is not stable enough for our liking.

There are too many browsers on the market. The steady ones seem to be IE7 and Firefox. IE7 sometimes has issues because Coders write scrips not 100% backward compatible. It is a shame that there is not a standard.

Admin

#4 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

View PostAdmin, on Jul 6 2010, 08:51 AM, said:

We can not guarantee this. We have been looking at the new code for months now, it is not stable enough for our liking.

There are too many browsers on the market. The steady ones seem to be IE7 and Firefox. IE7 sometimes has issues because Coders write scrips not 100% backward compatible. It is a shame that there is not a standard.

Admin

Are you stating FireFox is your preferred browser and if so why?

#5 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

I personally do not have a preferred browser because all have glitches. I use IE and Firefox when I troubleshoot. IE has inherited many features of Firefox over the years.

Third party script writers seem to write for Firefox, IE, Safari and Chrome in that order from what I have seen. The order will be mixed by preference of the script writer. Microsoft's IE is the most widely used because it comes with the Windows operating system being the largest on the market.

#6 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

View PostAdmin, on Jul 6 2010, 09:13 AM, said:

I personally do not have a preferred browser because all have glitches. I use IE and Firefox when I troubleshoot. IE has inherited many features of Firefox over the years.

Third party script writers seem to write for Firefox, IE, Safari and Chrome in that order from what I have seen. The order will be mixed by preference of the script writer. Microsoft's IE is the most widely used because it comes with the Windows operating system being the largest on the market.

would you update to IE8 or stick with IE7?

#7 User is offline   Lost Sheep 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

Need multiple selections for the poll.

I use chrome at work, firefox at home and skyfire or opera on my phone depending on how quick I want to access JT.
Most people aren't brave, they are just too stupid to realize what they are doing.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4.0 with a 6 speed hand shaker: 4" Skyjacker lift, Super Lift bent Control Arms, High Rock front and rear bumpers, Rubicon Express Hand throttle ,Cragar 15" Soft 8's wrapped with 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers.

VP High Rollers Jeep Club

#8 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

View PostTranyDoctor, on Jul 6 2010, 09:15 AM, said:

would you update to IE8 or stick with IE7?

I'm sorry but I can not make this call for you.

View PostLost Sheep, on Jul 6 2010, 11:32 AM, said:

Need multiple selections for the poll.
I use chrome at work, firefox at home and skyfire or opera on my phone depending on how quick I want to access JT.

I can understand this but we need to be a bit more precise, I suggest that you vote for the one you prefer best.

Thank you to all that have participated with this so far.

Admin

#9 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

Use IE8 at work an Safari for Windows at home.

To be more specific,... i hate IE but its the most used browser out there. We have no choice at work cuz of vendors.
BUILD IN PROCESS:
YJ, Chevy 350/th350/np208, front & rear stretch, MileMarker 12k winch, D44 w/ OX Locker & 4.88's,
12-bolt w/ Detroit Locker & 4.88's, 38.50x14.50r15 TSL/SX, 15x14 Centerline Wheels

#10 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

View Posttrailblazer, on Jul 6 2010, 03:39 PM, said:

To be more specific,... i hate IE but its the most used browser out there. We have no choice at work cuz of vendors.

so i take it different browsers might not be compatible with each other?

#11 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

I still use IE as my prefered browser because all the others do not work 100% of the time on different websites like IE does (it has been my experience).
I voted IE8 because that is the browser I have on all my PC's.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   HitMoney 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:34 AM

Firefox. I cant imagine using a different browser... FoxMarks is a must have as is TabMix plus pluggins.
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
[b]()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My Rig, HERE

#13 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

So far from what we have seen is that anything prior to IE8 or Firefox3 might have a problem since everyone is gearing all their updates to the newer Browser code and the way they are coded not making it backward compatible since it's not an operating system.

JeepNWilly, I understand what you are saying regarding compatibility. Let me ask, when you ran into this with other Browsers do you happen to remember which one's they were?

#14 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

View PostAdmin, on Jul 8 2010, 04:09 PM, said:

So far from what we have seen is that anything prior to IE8 or Firefox3 might have a problem since everyone is gearing all their updates to the newer Browser code and the way they are coded not making it backward compatible since it's not an operating system.

JeepNWilly, I understand what you are saying regarding compatibility. Let me ask, when you ran into this with other Browsers do you happen to remember which one's they were?

It was mainly with Firefox. I will try to use them again more often to see if I catch issues
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   smallJEEP 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Banned

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

firefox unless it is not supported
'92 YJ Stock 31x10.50-15 Wild Country MTX

Member: Mostly On Road Everyday Square Headlight Intermediate Team
????? Member Square Headlight Intense Team ?????
Member: Team Hydro-Lock

2 Girls

#16 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:21 AM

We are still ways away from our update and custom coding on JeepTalk.

The new script code will be will be very Java intensive. We have tested a few Browsers and report that IE8 and Firefox 3x work well. We will not be testing any other Browsers due to time constraints, we are confident that there were be problems with the top 4 on the market.

We have to report that anyone running IE7 should update as this Browser is now very old to the script code that is presently being written as of the past 2 years. We have seen in our test serious issues and conflicts especially with Java intensive Web Sites in braking the site and not viewable in most areas. If you are still running IE7 we suggest you update soon. When the new JeepTalk script gets uploaded we can assure you that anyone running IE7 will have problems.

The new interface will have similar navigation and many new features. We suggest you take a few minutes reading the help sections when it finally arrives.

Admin

#17 User is offline   sbmonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

Most websites report IE6 and 7 as about 90% of the browsers that hit their site. I would run a script that counts the user agents for one day from the apache access logs.

#18 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Hate to disagree with you as Admin and myself have seen these logs and IE6 is non existent, IE7 very few still use and IE8 and latest Firefox seem to dominate. The rest of the browser that compete have updated code as well.

When the update comes those using IE7 will not see the header correctly. In fact IE8 has a compatibility box for older web sites.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#19 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:33 AM

I voted Safari and like it.

I used IE7/8/F-Fox but I like Safari so far the best.

Signed,
Corporate testing team for browser use :lol:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#20 User is offline   sbmonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

View PostJeepNWilly, on Jul 6 2010, 09:39 PM, said:

I still use IE as my prefered browser because all the others do not work 100% of the time on different websites like IE does (it has been my experience).
I voted IE8 because that is the browser I have on all my PC's.

The reason sites don't "work" 100% with other browsers other than IE is because those sites are not wc3 or standards compliant. Sites programmed using IE's ( Microsoft's ) non-compliant extended code could not be rendered by other browsers properly. And I wonder why? It is well known and documented that Microsoft does this to stop competition using the embrace, extend and extinguish mantra. IIRC, IE8 has a compatibility setting which is simply a setting to be compliant with the standards set forth by the wc3/HTML etc.... W3c is used to help companies create websites and browsers so that they all render the same and browser ( company ) independent. Firefox ( netscape ) and other browsers are standards compliant and rightly so. Its there a better way?

I only wrote this so that it is clear and not as a lecture. If sites are coded and follow these written standards, all browsers should render the site properly and I assume this site has since the main page has "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> " this in the html header.

Now, maybe older browsers cannot render a site because it was coded before the latest standards but that would be a browsers version difference and not its brand that comes into play.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic