Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rubicon Locker Override Mod (link)

#1 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:23 PM

Found this short but excellent write-up on how to allow your Rubi to use the lockers in 2H and 4H (as well as the 4L-only set by the factory).

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/jee...ypass/index.asp

This write-up covers some of the same info but adds two different wiring options:

http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Buildup/Lock...cker_Defeat.htm

My personal preference is to either just jump the red and black wires with no additional switch present, or to use a factory switch (like a defog or rear wiper washer) in one of the empty switch spots. I'll decide this week as I pass Fairbanks every day to/from work.
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   TombRaiderTim 

• Colonel

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:01 AM

Jack H,

These were the links I was telling you about. I havent done the modification yet because I want to wait for my warrenty to run up. Just incase something goes wrong. Being this is the first time Jeep has offered them on a production vehical. But I will be doing this mod after my warrenty is up. The only question I have is where do I mount my switchs? Because I have my TombRaider placque in the location most people use. Looks like I will have to get creative.

Thanks for posting them YJWhenUCanTJ.
Tim

'03 Tomb Raider Rubicon (#0986)
4.88 gears, Bellyup, oil pan skid, 1 ton high stearing, SYE with Tom woods RE adjustable upper control arms, Rubens 4130 heat treated lower adjustable control amrs with greasible johnny joints, OX outer axle seals, 1" MM lift, 1-1/4" BL. and maybe more but I cant remember
'98 Grand Cherokee

Ru•bi•con n.
A limit that when passed or exceeded permits of no return and typically results in irrevocable commitment.

#3 User is offline   YJWhenUCanTJ 

• Captain

Posted 03 January 2005 - 03:49 PM

TombRaiderTim, on Jan 3 2005, 08:01 AM, said:

Jack H,

These were the links I was telling you about. I havent done the modification yet because I want to wait for my warrenty to run up. Just incase something goes wrong. Being this is the first time Jeep has offered them on a production vehical. But I will be doing this mod after my warrenty is up. The only question I have is where do I mount my switchs? Because I have my TombRaider placque in the location most people use. Looks like I will have to get creative.

Thanks for posting them YJWhenUCanTJ.

From one of the articles, it appears that you can actually open up the switch or remove the red and black wires from the switch to add an additional wire in each post (including the red and black wires). The way I see it, there are two options:

1. Add a new switch to jump the red and black wires. This gives you the control over when the override is enabled. This is the safer option, but adds another switch into your dash and possibly something you'd have to "undue" if you had probs with your xfer case or axles.

2. Jump the red and black wires with a short loop and DO NOT add a switch to control the override. This hides the fact that you've overridden the 4L "feature", but means you could lock the front axle even in 2H. I don't see much danger in doing things this way tho unless there is an issue with providing constant power across those two wires full time.

Here's another alternative using a method I've seen for when a security system gets enabled. You could wire the circuit to switch on when you pull up on the xfer case lever to 4H or 4L (security systems sometimes use the parking brake lever to enable the system). This would remove the requirement of a switch, and still keep things nice and stealthy.
David M.
2003 Sport
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jack H 

• Major

Posted 03 January 2005 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Tim, I already printed these out to look at later. Dave is right in that one of the options will let you do the mod and reverse it if you have to go in for warrenty work. If I do it this is the way I would go.
Jack
2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Patriot blue
4" Pro Comp Coil spring lift w/Pro Comp shocks, sway bar disconnects. Steering box & custom "Animal Garage" engine & control arm skid plates. Front Jeeperman bumper, rear LoD bumper w/tire carrier, XJ front tie rod. 33" Dick Cepec mud country tires on black steel rims. Overhead console w/CB radio, GPS. Tuffy rear security drawer, Mile Marker 12,000 lb winch.

Posted Image
Paved roads are a fine example of needless government spending

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic