• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gulf Oil Disaster deja-vu

#1 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:40 AM

Interesing youtube video I was emailed today about an all too familiar off shore oil rig disaster.
Ixtoc was the oil well in the Gulf of Mexico's Bay of Campeche. This lasted for 9 long months from June 3rd 1979 to March 23rd 1980.

Listen the the video and you will hear them using the same failed methods BP used on todays disaster that was used 30 years ago and failed just like it failed 30 years ago but the only difference was that the ixtoc was in less than 200 feet of water.

I guess the oil industry does not learn from their mistakes.

Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

Wow. Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all. When have we ever learned from our mistakes in this country? Show me that video...
Holly
Yellow 92 YJ, Elvis, I share with LrdJeffson

Jeep...the power of American manufacturing...600,000 Jeeps deployed during WWII...a vehichle that can go anywhere, do anything...it embodies the American spirit!
Stuck happens! :0

"Your winch or mine?"

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."
"The main thing is to keep the main thing as the main thing." ;)

Member of South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   SeaMonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

"Operation Sombrero"?!
It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

These bastards are pathetic. I believe there will be a huge backlash this time. 30 years ago, it was more difficult for the public to vent its outrage. Now with the internet and all the new ways of disseminating information, I think BP is in big trouble. I was nine when this Ixtoc thing happened, and I don't remember it. My daughter, who is nine, is well aware of the current spill (and is pretty upset about it.)

BP should stand for "Be Prepared" because they are in deep!
- 2000 TJ with big rubbery tires for going on trails and stuff.

#4 User is offline   StuckZilla 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

More like "Operation Fowl up the Gulf, kill its wildlife and put people out of work and on the street"

What I find disturbing is some news outlets actually seem concern that BP maybe so weakened by the cleanup costs and bad PR that they maybe come a take over target. So freak'n what, like anyone should care about BP after this. Anyone wanna buy an oil company with a lousy safety record? Maybe the Alaskans do... no wait they got screwed by BP as well with bad pipeline maintanance.
SFJC President
99 TJ - Wrangler Sport
35" Procomp MT, 4.56 RP, 4" Susp, 1" Body, 1" Motor Mount Lift
F: Detroit TrueTrac LS, Chromoly Shafts, Slotted & Drilled Rotors
R: Detroit Soft-Locker & 30 Spline D35c, SYE
Smitty XRC8000 Winch on A-Z Plate & Hella Lights

#5 User is offline   RickM610 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Can you imagine the Chinease buying BP? This will definitely cast a shadow over future offshore drilling in the gulf and caribbean if they don't do something quick!

View PostStuckZilla, on Jun 4 2010, 09:54 PM, said:

More like "Operation Fowl up the Gulf, kill its wildlife and put people out of work and on the street"

What I find disturbing is some news outlets actually seem concern that BP maybe so weakened by the cleanup costs and bad PR that they maybe come a take over target. So freak'n what, like anyone should care about BP after this. Anyone wanna buy an oil company with a lousy safety record? Maybe the Alaskans do... no wait they got screwed by BP as well with bad pipeline maintanance.

2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Sahara Unl. - 35" X 13.50" Mickey Thompson A/T - 20" Chrome Metal Moto Wheels - 5.5 Rock Krawler triple threat suspension lift - Tom Woods front & rear drive shafts - Fox Steering Stabilizer - ARB Bull Front Bumper w/Smittybuilt winch - Mopar Off Road Rear Bumper w/tire carrier - 75 WX ST Cobra CB Radio - Mopar Trail Guide GPS

http://www.myjeepspace.com/RickM610

My Jeep (JK BEAST) on Facebook

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:08 AM

Doesn't suprise me in the least.......... I was thinking today that we are hearing less ansd less on the BP disaster. What they are hoping is that if we don't hear or see it every hour of every day that we will forget about it........ I KNOW I WON'T :2thumup:
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic