JEEPTALK.net: Pan handeling for the vets? - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1

Pan handeling for the vets?

#1 User is offline   Essayon 

• Private
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Everyday I see the same guys wearing military fatigues walking up and down the streets collecting money for "vets". Dose anyone know if it's ligit? Isn't pan handeling illegal, or is it protected under the 1st admendment?

#2 User is offline   RunninBare 

• Major

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

I have no documented proof, just heresay...it is a scam. The only vets it goes to are the ones collecting who might be, in fact, a vet. I do not know this to be true but just what I have heard.
I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TZBTyTWOZCM
1-20-2013...end of an error

#3 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Regardless, they are struggling to survive if they are panhandling so to me I don't care if it is ligit or legal. It's about one human being helping another. Period.
Holly
Yellow 92 YJ, Elvis, I share with LrdJeffson

Jeep...the power of American manufacturing...600,000 Jeeps deployed during WWII...a vehichle that can go anywhere, do anything...it embodies the American spirit!
Stuck happens! :0

"Your winch or mine?"

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."
"The main thing is to keep the main thing as the main thing." ;)

Member of South Florida Jeep Club

#4 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

i know a few and its a scam. i rebuilt a transmission for one of their vans. they paid cash. :2thumup: thanks to those that gave :lol: most are drug addicts and alcoholics. a panhandler posing as a vet, how low can you go. :bat:

#5 User is offline   RunninBare 

• Major

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

View PostLadyJeffson, on May 4 2010, 11:53 AM, said:

Regardless, they are struggling to survive if they are panhandling so to me I don't care if it is ligit or legal. It's about one human being helping another. Period.

Not necesarily so... 60 minutes did a show on panhandlers and they showed a few who live quite well doing this. And they don't pay taxes to boot.

#6 User is offline   ChuckieB 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

View PostRunninBare, on May 4 2010, 12:50 PM, said:

Not necesarily so... 60 minutes did a show on panhandlers and they showed a few who live quite well doing this. And they don't pay taxes to boot.

Was this the show where they followed the guy from the corner all the way back his luxury car that he parked in a parking garage around the corner. And then followed him home to his nice big 2 story house.

#7 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

:bat: there is a little old lady on 595 and davie rd. goes behind the bushes to talk on her cel phone. sell the phone, buy some cloths, clean up, get a job and pay taxes. :lol:
they seem to be healthy enough to stand in the hot sun all day holding a sign. why can't they work :2thumup:

#8 User is offline   Outlaw 

• Major

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

Well "panhandling" is illegal. And as far as him collecting for vets. I really dought it. If he is legal he is required to have a permit. And they are required to have one if any collection is taking place. Most likely he is just another bum using the word "VET" to make some money. And if you can set in the sun all day collecting money then get a job. If the bleeding hearts like LadyJeffson would stop giving him money he would go away. If you want to give your money away then give it to a good cause. Not some bum on the side of the road.
John
01 TJ 4.0 manual... Stock for now. ( But the build will begin soon.)
Member of:
Utah 4x4 & Citrus County Jeepers

#9 User is offline   Gutsy 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:54 PM

I usually donate a litte when there is a large group in fatigues. I have seen a few straglers and just the other day wanted to roll down my window and ask for a military ID or such proof-for-the-cause. But, alone and female - decided not to. Best bet is to donate directly to the vet society, if you want to.

Bums collecting money for food, forget it...go buy a hamburger and bring it back to them. Look for the signs where they are willing to work! That deserves a little cash! Better yet, if you know a local store hiring for maintenance or such, give them the name.

I do not do cash donations to teenagers collecting for sports and such. Any teenager can put on a look-a-like football jersey. Stick to school car washes etc where adults are supervising and collecting.

A funny story...I was driving with 16yr old in front seat and 13yr old in back seat. This was at dusk. On a median in middle of major road I saw a man walking with a publix bag toward the light at the major intersection. I was moving on into the long left turn lane, where I had to stop for the red light. The man got to the intersection and set down his publix bag and took out a sign from his pocket. He held up the help-me sign, wanting money. WELL I looked on the ground and could see a six-pack of beer in the bag! I WANTED SOOOO BAAAAD to jump out of the car and grab that bag of beer when the turn light turned green!!!!!! But, this time there were children in the car. I swear I would have done it!!!!!!
O[][][][]O
1987 YJ7TJ
Member: The WINCH TEAM = Women In Need of Constant Horsepower TEAM

"If you run away, you will fall. If you face it like a bull, you will rise."
"HONESTY you can work with - NOT LIES"
"Life is short, hard and trying...grab it by the %!((@, live it up and BE HAPPY!!!"
"Seems like the younger ones are into themselves, and the older ones are into you."
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old...you grow old because you stop laughing."
"Growing old is mandatory...growing up is optional."

That's all folks!

#10 User is offline   RunninBare 

• Major

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

View PostGutsy, on May 4 2010, 05:54 PM, said:

WELL I looked on the ground and could see a six-pack of beer in the bag!

When I lived in Tenn I saw a sign 'why lie I want beer'. I gave him a buck.

#11 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

I don't think taking a chance on maybe helping someone in need for one dollar is a bad bet. The odds are probably not in my favor, but I've made worse bets in Vegas before....and WON BIG! :devilgrin: It's only a dollar every now and then. I think it's better than justifying why I shouldn't and probably becoming bitter in the process. :ax:
Holly

Jeep...the power of American manufacturing...600,000 Jeeps deployed during WWII...a vehichle that can go anywhere, do anything...it embodies the American spirit!

"Your winch or mine?"

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage."

#12 User is offline   RunninBare 

• Major

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

View PostRunninBare, on May 4 2010, 08:08 PM, said:

When I lived in Tenn I saw a sign 'why lie I want beer'. I gave him a buck.

All right...which one of the mods added the second line to my post?

#13 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:12 AM

View PostRunninBare, on May 5 2010, 08:01 AM, said:

All right...which one of the mods added the second line to my post?

sorry hit the wrong reply :ax:

#14 User is offline   CrackerJack 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

Not often but once in a while I'll give them a $1. I look at it as I gave it w/ the intention of trying to help them out. Whatever they do w/ the $$ is on them.
1991 YJ 3" SOA, 3" BL, 38.5 boggers, SYE, EB D44/8.8, 4.10s, 1999 4.0 High Output motor, BIG rear bumper, 10K vortex winch w/ wireless remote, Square Headlights plus a few extra
1989 YJ. 2"BL, semi-functional snorkel, little "girlie" tires
2001 F350 7.3L turbo diesel, Square Headlights
2007 Honda Rancher 4x4 27" Vampire tires, Square Headlights
Member: South Florida Jeep Club
FOUNDER: Square Headlight Intense Team
"Right is Right even if no one does it & Wrong is Wrong even if everyone does it."
"NEVER look down on someone unless you are helping them up"
"I'm not smart but I can lift heavy things"

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

View PostCrackerJack, on May 5 2010, 09:56 AM, said:

Not often but once in a while I'll give them a $1. I look at it as I gave it w/ the intention of trying to help them out. Whatever they do w/ the $$ is on them.

I agree Jack. :drunk:

If you don't want to give than don't, but don't rationalize your decision and make yourself feel better by trying to make others feel foolish for being kind and generous to someone who might be in need.
Holly

"Your winch or mine?"

#16 User is offline   RunninBare 

• Major

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

View PostLadyJeffson, on May 5 2010, 10:06 AM, said:

If you don't want to give than don't, but don't rationalize your decision and make yourself feel better by trying to make others feel foolish for being kind and generous to someone who might be in need.

If you are referring to me, you got the wrong idea and I humbly apoligize for that.

Please feel free to donate to whomever or whatever cause you feel strongly about. I just know that, even with the big multi-national charities, there are too many and too much adminstration fees to feel comfortable donating to many charities, let alone the people on the street corners.

#17 User is offline   LadyJeffson 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

View PostRunninBare, on May 5 2010, 10:37 AM, said:

If you are referring to me, you got the wrong idea and I humbly apoligize for that.

Please feel free to donate to whomever or whatever cause you feel strongly about. I just know that, even with the big multi-national charities, there are too many and too much adminstration fees to feel comfortable donating to many charities, let alone the people on the street corners.

No ill feelings here Alan. It's all good! I just like to mess with Dino and his opinions... :drunk:
Holly

"Your winch or mine?"

#18 User is offline   Gutsy 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

View PostRunninBare, on May 5 2010, 10:37 AM, said:

On this note, I found out after donating to an individual's posting of a self-fundraiser site for a local large charity event going on in the Ft. Lauderdale area, that not 100% of anyone's donation to this self-fundraiser site went to this particular charity. A certain percentage of my donation and everyone else's donation went to the company that this self-fundraising site went through for administration fee. So I did a little research. If you care, then next time pull up the self-fundraising site and find where you can set up your own fundraising for a charity. If it is through one of these outside companies, you will be provided all the information needed as far as what % they keep for administration costs, and what % they actually send to the charity. Imagine that!
O[][][][]O
1987 YJ7TJ

"Life is short, hard and trying...grab it by the %!((@, live it up and BE HAPPY!!!"
"Seems like the younger ones are into themselves, and the older ones are into you."
"You don't stop laughing because you grow old...you grow old because you stop laughing."

That's all folks!

#19 User is offline   Krocker 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

why are they doing that?Do they have proper notice to do that?
best-selling brands of Rubicon Express and Pro Comp Tires

#20 User is offline   Gutsy 

• First Lieutenant
  • View gallery

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

View PostKrocker, on May 5 2010, 10:55 PM, said:

why are they doing that?Do they have proper notice to do that?

It’s a business. These are separate companies that are not the charity company themselves. A person can go through these out-side companies to set up their own personal on-line fundraising, to use to advertise and get donations for a charitable event they are participating in, etc. During my short research I found that The American Cancer Society Relay For Life, which is worldwide, offers the personal on-line fundraising, THROUGH, The American Cancer Society. Therefore all monies go to the Cancer Society. That’s what you want to look for, or donate directly by check. These other outside companies, take $ out of your donation to cover their business, overhead, employees, fees, expenses, etc., then send the rest to the charity. I hope. I found one raised over $3million. 7.5% to outside company for administration fees, that’s $225,000.00 that the charity did not get. 7.5% came out of my donation for this outside company. Better to send checks directly in my opinion.

Here’s a couple that I found. I have blanked out company names for cautions and to protect those who have used them….

1) Who pays for the donation processing fees?
The processing costs for completing your transaction and disbursing the funds to your selected charity is just one of the many costs XXXXXXXXX incurs as part of their mission of supporting nonprofits in their fundraising efforts. A 4.75% grant is made to XXXXXXXXX with each donation transaction to fund their mission.
2) XXXXXXXXX transaction fee
Our robust online giving tools provide immense efficiency, while reducing technology hassles and administrative costs. What's more, our online tools empower nonprofits to tap into supporters who can't be reached by traditional solicitation methods. We deliver top-notch customer support to nonprofits, supporters, and donors alike. We also pay all associated credit card fees. Thousands of users have teamed with us and raised more money with significantly less effort. XXXXXXXXs fee is just 7.5% on donations made to fundraising pages.
O[][][][]O
1987 YJ7TJ

That's all folks!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply