• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Never Ending Jeep Build

#31 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

Not too much to add. I started to paint the hood, but i need to add a few more coats. Got the grill installed which was painted with the same bedliner paint used on the corner armor. I'm still fighting with that rear tailgate though. Seams the mounting holes that i drilled in the armor for the hinges are slightly off so i'll have to oval out the holes a bit to get it right.

I took the fenders off cuz i lucked out and found a pair of YJ tube fenders ready to bolt in that already have inner fenders and 3" flares! Turned out my brother lives 30min away from the guy so i'm just waiting for him to bring them down this week. Total cost with gas money = $140. Thats what the 3" flare kit was going to cost me and these are ready to paint and bolt in.

Since the fenders were off i decided to test fit the River Raider snorkel. I like that it's strong and simple but i'm not sure if i like how it sticks out in front of the windshield. It's doesn't block your view from the driver's seat but it looks wierd from the left side of the jeep.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
BUILD IN PROCESS:
YJ, Chevy 350/th350/np208, front & rear stretch, MileMarker 12k winch, D44 w/ OX Locker & 4.88's,
12-bolt w/ Detroit Locker & 4.88's, 38.50x14.50r15 TSL/SX, 15x14 Centerline Wheels

#32 User is offline   lostwarrior 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:05 AM

hell Of a build

#33 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

Thanks!

I just got my new-to-me tube fenders. These are ready to bolt in, they already have the 3" flare and the have already inner fenders! Not bad for $125. Just need to clean them up and paint them. I hope to have them in this weekend. The only problem now is that i won't be able to wait to add the 3" flares in back now that the front will be done.

Posted Image

Posted Image
BUILD IN PROCESS:
YJ, Chevy 350/th350/np208, front & rear stretch, MileMarker 12k winch, D44 w/ OX Locker & 4.88's,
12-bolt w/ Detroit Locker & 4.88's, 38.50x14.50r15 TSL/SX, 15x14 Centerline Wheels

#34 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

Got the fenders installed. I still have to drill out some of the mounting holes a little bigger for adjustments. I also have to paint it and fix one of the hood latches that the previous owner mounted to far out.

I also got the wire run to the rear and most of the front lighting is wired up now. The dash wiring is going to be hell though. Not cuz of the dash but cuz of the steering column.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#35 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

I also decided to mock up the future rear winch since i had the winch and plate off. Just slid some scrap 1/4" 2x2 in the hitch and rested the winch on it. Good thing is that since the hitch pin is located behind the bumper, the winch actually sits real close to the bumper and body. Only problem is that the swing-down tire rack that i'm designing will have to be changed to clear the winch. I'll have to borrow an 8k winch before i build anything though since this 12k is bigger than i really need in back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#36 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

Looks great and especially that paint color.

There is something wrong w/that grill though, can't figure it out :whistle: :tongue1: :empathy:

P.S. I to remember those days and not 100% complete yet.

Posted Image

But now she runs :) and still not complete.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tQd0r7BnTHM

*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#37 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

Well after looking at this topic for a while I'm impressed with all of your energy especially with the clean up of the rust. :ya:

Happy to see that your turned a square into a round. :grin: I noticed that more and more square Jeepers are just realizing that a Jeep was never meant to be square. :good2: I can now just imagine the replies :lol: Olive green is trick as well.

Have a :question: Those centerline wheels (excellent quality manufacturer), what is your back spacing as well as axle width?

Btw, I noticed that some of your pics are not showing, not sure if your photobucket is running out of bandwidth or the link was removed. If you PM me the new links and where they belong I'll fix them for you.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#38 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

View PostTrailblazer, on 19 March 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

View PostJim B, on 21 March 2011 - 06:19 AM, said:

Happy to see that your turned a square into a round. :grin: I noticed that more and more square Jeepers are just realizing that a Jeep was never meant to be square. :good2: I can now just imagine the replies

1st reply...

"Hey Jim...get your eyes checked...read the thread...look at the pictures...Square!" :1thumb:

-dave

PS - I can come up with some others if you need!

#39 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

View PostLrdJeffson, on 21 March 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

1st reply...
"Hey Jim...get your eyes checked...read the thread...look at the pictures...Square!" :1thumb:

Many thanks Dave, could always count on you to take the bait. :lol:
You see it's not my eyes... it's that when I look at any Jeep I always look at the positive and all the subconscious sees is round. :roll:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#40 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

JUST NOTICED THAT I MISSED AN UPDATE FROM THE LAST TIME I WORKED ON THE JEEP...

Okay so this weekend i actually got some stuff done. First i went through my old spare harnesses and started to cut out all of the stock plug ends that'll i'll need. I only stopped because i'll have to decide if i'll use some stock CJ or YJ switches or just go straight to toggle switched for everything.

I then got the snorkel location figured out and I just need to drill out the hole. Good thing is that it won't interfere with the tube fender flares.

I also now own a new to me RCI fuel cell that will sit behind the passengers. Thanks to Will (elnino) for picking that up for me. I still plan to eventually build a custom fuel cell for under the jeep but i need to get this thing finished.

I also finally got the rear axle centered and welded the perches in. Hopefully i got the angles right. If not, i'll just add shims later. I just need to order some ubolts.

Posted Image

I also measured and cut down my rear shaft. Just having trouble getting the yolk out of the shaft tubing. Probably just have to keep grinding until i find the edges. You can see in the first picture that once i add the yolk to the axle side, the slip end will move further into the tcase. It'll also open up the spacing between the front ujoint and the tubing. I'll still have to grind away some metal for clearance though. Eitherway this is just temporary so that i can get it on the road.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

HERE IS THE WORK I DID THIS WEEK...

Not much of an update since i've only spent an hour on the jeep in the last 3 weeks due to birthdays, babyshowers and rain.

I got the snorkel mounted...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also drilled out the holes for the fuel cell. i got the rear seat in but it doesn't match up with the brackets on the fenders that hold the seat in. I'll have to see what the deal is there. Might have the brackets on wrong.

Posted Image

Oh yeah, i even got the family style rollbar from my house to my mom's. Good thing we live 2 minutes away...

Posted Image
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#41 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:57 AM

Project running along nice. :ya:

Regarding the fuel cell, how much room do you have underneath the Jeep :question: How are you strapping the one you have now in the back?

Looking at some of your specs...
That 14 bolt will is nice with the 38x14.5 tires but do you think the front D44 will hold up :question:
El Niņo

#42 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Right now only the front brackets are mounted on the rear seat. Still have to rig something up for the rear mounts. I might move the seat forward a bit and raise it a few incches for storage.

The rear axle is actually a 12 bolt. Most folks will say that its too weak but I ran these axles and tires on my much heavier k10 and the only issue I had was blowing the front hubs due to installation error. Too much grease in the hubs didn't allow the gears to fully engage so I stripped the gears in the hub.

I drive with a light foot. If I get stuck, I try to power out but if I'm not getting out easily, I break out the winch.
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#43 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

Just a small update from this weekend... I refitted the snorkel and it looks like the welded tab is slightly tweeked so I'll have to remove and fix it later. The fuel cell is almost bolted in. Two of the holes are too close to some extra metal under the tub so i'll have to grind a bit to clearance them.

Pulled out the rollbar and installed the family-style bar. Unfortunately the previous owner welded the rear bars to his tub so i had to spend an hour just cleaning it up. I know it's not much of a difference over the other "sport bar" but i feel better knowing that passengers will have some protection. Later on I'll add some crossbars and reinforcement.

Posted Image

I finally got around to cutting out the yolk from the old driveshaft. The length looks good so now i just need to spin the yolk so the front and rear match and then fully weld it. I also still need to figure out a way to lower the trans and tcase cuz they are angled slightly up from the engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#44 User is offline   MikeJoel 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:54 AM

looking good nice work.

#45 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

Thanks. Haven't had too much time to work on it lately. I was able to weld up the rear driveshaft and i finally had u-bolts made for the rear axle and got them installed this weekend. I also picked up the last of the small stuff i needed to build the 1ga battery cables. I'm going to try to get the steering done this weekend along with shorter tcase bushings to lower the tcase an inch.
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#46 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:07 AM

After welding your driveshafts, did you have them balanced?
They will vibrate like crazy if they are out of balance.

#47 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

View PostWardie, on 15 June 2011 - 01:07 AM, said:

After welding your driveshafts, did you have them balanced?
They will vibrate like crazy if they are out of balance.

It's just temporary during the build process. I still haven't decided if i'm going to stay with my current tcase setup so i just needed a way to move the jeep around under it's own power until i decide. Really, money is going to decide which route i go...

• leave the np208 as is --- not the ideal angle or lenght and slip yolk
  • buy Tom Woods SYE kit wth rear shaft --- mucho money and only slightly shortens tcase but it also comes with rear shaft
  • swap dodge np208 internals and rear nose --- came stock with fixed yolk and is cheap but i would have to buy a used tcase and build a shaft
  • Advance Adapters d300 kit --- mucho money and i would still have to buy a d300 and rear shaft

BUILD IN PROCESS:

#48 User is offline   MikeJoel 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:52 AM

is it already finished?

#49 User is offline   Kioti 

• Corporal

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

Great build. What brand is the fuel cell? I have been looking for one to mount the same way. I run a Dana 44 with the same size tires as you and it lives. Like you said light foot and use the winch if need be. Very well layed out build. That rig will work great. The only thing I would suggest you build a traction bar or that rear drive shaft will be toast first time you get on it.

#50 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

Thanks!. It's getting there slowly.

I got the fuel cell used but i believe it's the RCI 2161A with some tabs welded to the bottom http://www.summitrac...2161A/?rtype=10 . I'm planning add straps over the top like this... http://www.summitrac...arts/RCI-7512A/ . I should be getting all of the -AN fittings and hose this week to finally plumb up the fuel system.

I also ordered a slightly shorter pitman arm from PartsMike that is already reamed out for the 1ton TRE. So i hope to have the drag link built this weekend also. I'll just have to order some longer steering lines to get this thing turning. I'm going to hold off on building the tierod until i decide between full highsteer or reverse steer.

Traction bar is in the plans before this sees anything beyond the driveway. I also don't expect the stock springs to last too long before i order some custom Alcans all around. Hopefully i can get a 6 months of wheeling out of the springs before that happens though.
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#51 User is offline   Kioti 

• Corporal

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

Sounds like you got a rock solid plan. :thumbsup: Thanks for the info on the fuel cell.

#52 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

So i actually got some work done on the jeep yesterday with my brother's help.

BRAKES:
I picked up some pre-made brake lines from Autozone to replace the hard lines on the 12bolt and to build an extension from the SS YJ replacement lines. I had to stop short because i need to buy a female to female adapter. I also had to cut the SS line to make this work and SS tubing is so much stronger than regular tubing that my flaring tool is useless. I'll have to buy a better flaring kit now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

FUEL:
I got the parts need to plumb up the entire fuel system but i had to stop short because the tubing is 3/8 SS and my flaring tool sucks. Just need to flare one side of the tubing to fit the AN fitting that will screw on to the Twist-Tite hose which will go through the floor using rubber grommet (still have to buy) then to the 90* ANs on the fuel cell.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DRIVESHAFT:
The temporary rear driveshaft got a new ujoint and doesn't really look too bad for our first attempt. Hopefully, once i lower the tcase an inch, the angles are good enough that this last me some time before i need to upgrade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

STEERING:
I got the PartsMike steering arm installed and we measured and cut down the DOM tubing. Some quick welding, a bit of grinding and paint and i can now turn the wheels!! Just need to get new steering hoses.

Posted Image

My brother Leo (the Coastie)...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Proof that i actually do some of my own welding...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#53 User is offline   Kioti 

• Corporal

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

Looks great. Before you know it you will be posting test run and first wheeling pics. BTW I'm diggn the OX locker in the front.

#54 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

Thanks. I can't wait for the first shake down run. I only got to use the OX twice but it's great. Really like having the option of going open or locked.
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#55 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Nice welding job. :ya: Are you doing anything with the draglink or is it staying the way it is, looks more like a tierod the way it's installed but the hole is trowing me off a bit :question: Not too familiar with the leaf spring setups.
El Niņo

#56 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostJim B, on 05 July 2011 - 07:34 AM, said:

Nice welding job. :ya: Are you doing anything with the draglink or is it staying the way it is, looks more like a tierod the way it's installed but the hole is trowing me off a bit :question: Not too familiar with the leaf spring setups.

Sorry i missed this. Been busy with work, training classes, the house, kids, etc. Then to top it off i have my 2yr old son going under to have a mole removed from his neck on the 9th. Plus his twin sister actually caught the mumps while we were at Miami Childrens Hospital for my sons appointment. Fun times. I actually suprised i've actualy gotten this far in the build with all of the interuptions.

Now on to the jeep. That hole in the tierod is for the steering stabalizer. Its not stock for this axle though so it doesn't match the other mounting point on the axle. It'll stay there until i can afford to buy the new high steer arms. Once i get those, i'll weld up the other part of the one ton kit to replace that stock tierod.

Now, i should not have expected anything different since this entire build has been one complication after another... the new radiator was to tall. I went with the narrowest universal Summit radiator which happen to be 19.5" tall. I thought this would be fine because of the width. NOPE! The steering box is right in the way.

Since i've wasted way too much time on this (3rd radiator), my brother and i decided to "make this work". Obviously, i won't be running the mechanical fan. Instead i'll run an electric puller on the engine side and a backup pusher on the grill side. Both will be hooked up to switches for water crossings and the main one will be connected to a thermal switch.

We welded some aluminum angle that i bought during my first failed attempt. The radiator was mounted at an angle to clear the steering box and hood. It also lines up the radiatior hoses better than expected. Now that we know that it fits, he'll finish welding the mounts on and i'll finish trimming off the excess from the brackets. I'll also add some aluminum plate from the grill to the top of the radiator to block air from flowing over the radiator instead of through it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#57 User is offline   1BadCJ5 

• Sergeant FirstClass

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

I have a roll of brand new winch cable that I bought over 10 years ago and never used. Would you be interested in it? Let me know.
Russ

#58 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

A good fit to upgrade the tie rod is to pull one off a grand cherokee 8 cylinder.

#59 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:16 AM

Russ, I have a new cable already. Just want to freshen up the winch before I install it. I also want to move the solenoid under the hood. Then again, I've already destroyed 3 cables so a spare might be a good idea. How much do you want for it?

Steve, the tie rod kit I have is 1.5" DOM with 1 ton Chevy TREs. I'm sure that's stronger than the stock grand's tie rod. Besides I'm running full width chevy axles.
BUILD IN PROCESS:

#60 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

Updates...

Got the radiator done a while back. Just have to wire up the fan.

Posted Image

Got a set of VDO guages... water temp, fuel level, volt and oil presure. Just had to ghettofy a gauge mount until i get around to building or buying a new dash...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now the most important update... she moves!!!

Still have no power steering but i was able to move her back and forth under her own power. Still have to rebleed the brakes cuz i can barely stop it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

BUILD IN PROCESS:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic