Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

is the AMC 20 worth modding?

#1 User is offline   281 QuadCam 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 09 July 2003 - 10:51 PM

its a hot debate, most on the PBB say it isn't worth modding an AMC 20. but were talking mostly throttle happy rock crawlers with 38" tires! im trying to find the best deal on superior 1 piece axles... rosser jeep used to sell them for $249, but just as i went to buy them, they dropped superior and now sell their own in-house stuff, the dude said it was just as good, but hes a salesman first. a five year warranty isn't towing me out of the woods! :tdown: so now i guess im stuck having to bite it for about $350. but i let those toyota jerks get to me with the talk about weak axles tubes, is it really that big of a problem? i guess for rock crawling more so than the stuff around here, so outside of tellico i shouldn't worry about bending an axle tube, right? :amazed:

is the M20 worth it?

i chose to ask here b/c i noticed at the 7/4 parade many of you ran AMC 20's. would you do it again?
1979 CJ5/258/T150/D20/M20/D30/up3/33x12.5

#2 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 10 July 2003 - 08:33 AM

QuadCam,

Go here and read towards the end a bit, it will answer some of your questions.

Dana44/Ford8/Amc20

There was some talk with regards to your questions here.

Can you ID an Axle

I hope JeepinCJ78 is around as he is the one with all the experience with the AMC20s, he will be able to elaborate more. Personally I believe the Amc20 is a great axle up to 35" tires if you single piece the axle. You should not have any problems.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#3 User is offline   Hellbender 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 10 July 2003 - 10:18 AM

I agree with Jim on the 20, 35" tires w/ good axles will go a long time if you don't get crazy w/ wheelspin a lot.

I had this axle on an old mud-racer w/ huge tires and ran it for 2 years w/ no problems.

I've heard from a pretty reliable source that OX is caput............Jim, any input?

HB

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 10 July 2003 - 10:27 AM

HB,

I love the word reliable. I'm good friends with the designer and I can elaborate more privately. Ox is well and alive. Tell your friends to call 4 Wheel Parts toll free number. They will be able to get parts and anything new or old that Ox makes.

Their new shifters engage by themselves and there is no need to adjust at the diff any longer.

If you personally need something get a hold of me... not a free locker of course. :amazed: :drive:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#5 User is offline   DanStew 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 10 July 2003 - 11:14 AM

The 20 is a good axle for down here, the main problems with it is the 2 pice shafts and the thin tubes. There was a story about re-tubing them in one of the magazines, but that is kind of extremem if you are not going to rock crawl. For the flat florida land, the 20 will live pretty good. The axles should be changed to the 1 piece, but i would say wait till you broke it first, it will happen, but it may last you for a while. The 20 doesnt have as large of a support base as the dana 44, but doesnt mean you will be stranded with out a place that carrys parts. Also if you keep it, and run it ,and somehow bend the tubes on it, you will probably find another 20 laying around for cheap since everyone else is swapping out the 20.
Dan Stewart
1963 CJ5 "School Bus"
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai

#6 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 July 2003 - 05:19 PM

I have had a 20 in the rear of my CJ for a few years now w/ a lockrite, 1 pc axles, and 35's. I have a bent tube due to Tellico and the bouncing that happens there.
As long as you don't run a V-8 &/or lots of throttle, :drive: then it should last you.
As for the tubes turning in the housing, just get a competant welder to weld the tubes to the housing.
BTW, although we do no have the kinda rocks that other locales have, I have been airborne in my CJ in Big Cypress! :amazed:
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#7 User is offline   jeepincj78 

• Brigadier General

Posted 10 July 2003 - 08:17 PM

:beer: Sorry it took me soo long I was a little busy :amazed: First off, as Jim said Ox Trax is still alive and kicking. Secondly, I ham very happy with the dana 20 rear axle. After you put in the one pice axles it is just as strong, and if not stronger than a dana 44 in my opinion. I know, I know, I just put my foot in my mouth. I know all of you that are reading this post are saying to themselves thi guy is off his rocker saying that a dana 20 is as strong as a 44. Well compadres< if you analyze the ring gear size you will noticed that it is in fact larger than the 44 thus making it stronger :cool: In my opinion the only weakness with the dana 20 after a few mods are in fact the outer axle tubes. Run a 35" tire max and you cant go wrong.
Oh yea one more thing, I am running my head in to the wall :drive: trying to remember where I saw a certain advertisement. I recall seeing the superior one piece axles for $269 for the dana 20. Keep on searching all your newest 4 wheel drive magazines and you should find it.

I will leave all of you with this : DRIVE DUE WEST AND THE ROCKS WILL COME!!!!!!!!!!! :give:
1978 Jeep CJ7 4.0HO w/ Headmann Headers, MSD ignition, front dana 30 with Warn axle shafts, Warn premium locking hubs, custom drive shafts front and rear, NP 435 Transmission (6.69 to 1 first), dana 300 transfercase, model 20 rear differential with superior axles, Ox lockers front and rear, 4.10 gears, Currie twin stick, Warn premium front locking hubs, BDS 4" spring under suspension, Rancho RS 5000 shocks, revolver front shackles, warn XD9000I winch, 35" General Grabber M/T, Rubicon Express hand throttle and sway bar disconnects, dual optima batteries(red and yellow top) w/incab switch, and a on board hot water shower.

#8 User is offline   Tom 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 10 July 2003 - 10:04 PM

Check the info from Randy's Ring and Pinion, good write-up on the 20:

http://www.ring-pini...ear/g0898.shtml

I run the 20 in my 79 CJ, installed the Warn full floater kit and found out the tubes were bent. Took the housing to a good 4 wheel machine shop, they re-tubed it with 3" 3/8 wall tubes. I have not had any problems with the 20 in over 4 years and it has been through a lot. The jeep has an AMC 401, T18, Tera low 20 two stick with a Detroit, so it gets lots of abuse...

:amazed:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic