JEEPTALK.net: Wifi Router Signal Boost - JEEPTALK.net

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

Wifi Router Signal Boost

#1 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:36 AM

Ok, I have a D-Link router and i want to boost the signal so I can work in my office that is about 30 yards or so away from the house. I do have 3 bars on the L-top when I take it over to the office but want/would like a full signal.

NOW, I will be getting my Tower fixed and I will be using my tower in the office and NOT my L-top. Is there an antenna that plugs into the PC tower so I can receive the signal from my router? A friend of mine had a antenna and it is about 6" long and came w/ his PC.

Signed, new signal tech for MS :2thumup:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TQ...-PB&cat=NET --> but how would it hook to the router w/that connector?

http://www.geeks.com..._sc.asp?cat=661

HOW bout this? --> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p;sku=H300-2168

#2 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

You will need to see if you can replace the antenna of your router for a better one. The ones on your link will give you better range but the connectors must work with your D-Link

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=416
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Outlaw 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

IIRC D is the older of the routers. I know that when I upgraded a couple months ago they told me to put an N router in. Wally world has the N for 60 dollars. And the one I have I get around 200 feet with no trouble.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10760299
John
01 TJ 4.0 manual... Stock for now. ( But the build will begin soon.)
Member of:
Utah 4x4 & Citrus County Jeepers

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

Rollbar, if you go the N router the only way you can take advantage is if your laptop or desktop also supports N as well. If not it will still communicate because the N router should step down to B & G.

I have seen used and powerful B access point antennas that you connect to your router for cheap being sold. Think of it as your non wireless router with an rj45 antenna attached to this. You can also find them in G. The max on a B is about 3 but it's a full 3, the signal is strong. The G works well and believe it or not it has more range than the N (n has faster speed but lacks range in signal). I now have a G access point. that reaches a full block. I needed to go this way because for some reason regular wifi routers would not penetrate my walls since all my connections were at one end and it had to reach the other end of the house.

Your work place might want to invest in one of these access points and have connection all over the place.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#5 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

Ok thanks.

I have the N if I remember right (it is in a old post and I don't have time to look).

Maybe I can find out from D-link what I can use on a Tower PC.

I have 3 full bars on the L-top and can watch video.

I just need the Tower to pick up a signal.

ONE MORE QUESTION.

I have had my router unplugged for months, will it still keep the same MAC settings for privacy or is it wide open. I think it will keep the settings cause I plugged it in and it works great.

Thanks,

Signed,
D-link tech support :1thumb:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#6 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

View PostRollbar, on Jan 20 2010, 04:30 PM, said:

ONE MORE QUESTION.

I have had my router unplugged for months, will it still keep the same MAC settings for privacy or is it wide open. I think it will keep the settings cause I plugged it in and it works great.

Thanks,

Signed,
D-link tech support :1thumb:

All the routers I have used always keep the settings unless you go thru the factory reset steps. So you will be fine.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

View PostJeepNWilly, on Jan 20 2010, 08:06 AM, said:

You will need to see if you can replace the antenna of your router for a better one. The ones on your link will give you better range but the connectors must work with your D-Link

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=416

Thanks for the tip on the antenna willy.

I need something that will plug in to the back/usb port on a tower so I can pick up the internet as well.

#8 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

View PostRollbar, on Jan 20 2010, 07:53 PM, said:

Thanks for the tip on the antenna willy.

I need something that will plug in to the back/usb port on a tower so I can pick up the internet as well.

Something like this :1thumb:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/Search...&CatId=2688
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:10 AM

Hey willy, w/the N router would U get the last one. or the first one.

The last one support WEP but I have my router set to MAC, does that matter?

I kind of like the last one cause it I am out w/the L-top and need more pick up I can unplug the third one and plug it right into the USB on the L-top.

SO< IF I get the third one it should work w/ my D-link N, right.

Thanks.

#10 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hey Willy, after reading the reviews looks like the first one is the better one.

#11 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

View PostRollbar, on Jan 20 2010, 05:30 PM, said:

ONE MORE QUESTION.

I have had my router unplugged for months, will it still keep the same MAC settings for privacy or is it wide open.

OK, I just checked my D-link and it is UNSECURED. I can't find the book where I have my MAC number. It just says excellent signal (in house) 802.11n. SSID dlink.

I did go to the small pop up for the D-link and it says unsecured. It has a drop down box of WEP, WPA personal, WPA2 personal, WPA2 Enterprise, WPA Enterprise, 802.1x.

So I think the MAC was erased and I don't remember how to get to the D-Link screen to get the MAC number like I did when I recieved the router. Can't find the box w/all the numbers etc.

Boy, did I move to far away for tech support :rof:

#12 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:45 AM

When you lock it down using MAC address you are entering the L-Top and any other PC's MAC address in the router's config. You should be ableto find the manual at dlink.com. I am at a new employee orientation all day today so will not be able to respond too much.

You get the MAC address of the L-Top and PC by going to the dos windows and typing ipconfig /all it will list the physical address of each network adapter.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:00 AM

View PostRollbar, on Jan 21 2010, 12:10 AM, said:

Hey willy, w/the N router would U get the last one. or the first one.

The last one support WEP but I have my router set to MAC, does that matter?

Rollbar, you have a few things mixed up here. MAC configuration is when you must enter on the router the fingerprint of each computer to allow it to come in.

WEP is another lever of security in where you type in the long code and your in.

So, if someone guesses your WEP code without having a MAC listed on your router, they are in. If they guess the WEP they will not connect if you list a MAC on your router. You physically have to find out the MAC address of each computer you use to enter in the MAC listing of your router if you wish to have two levers of security. Another scenario is that if you have a MAC and not a WEP they will think your wifi is not secured but when they try to connect they will not be able to.

All that said, just set up a WEP for now until you can figure out how to access the MAC listing on your router, otherwise you'll be on this topic until 2011 :rof:

I kind of like the last one cause it I am out w/the L-top and need more pick up I can unplug the third one and plug it right into the USB on the L-top.
Thanks.

You can do so as well from the first one that you said had a better review. It also seems smaller to me.
I thought the laptop had built in wifi...
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#14 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

View PostJim B, on Jan 21 2010, 05:00 AM, said:

All that said, just set up a WEP for now until you can figure out how to access the MAC listing on your router, otherwise you'll be on this topic until 2011 :rof:

Very funny. Hey, I did ask Admin to set up a PC section on this forum but :nono: I guess i will have to pay him big bucks :rof:

So which WEP is better or which one should I use?

WEP, WPA personal, WPA2 personal, WPA2 Enterprise, WPA Enterprise, 802.1x.

ASLO, if I use the WEP (which one) and when it asks for a password or ... do I just type anything in there and then it will be my P-word. You know, the box under the slection box for WEP.

I just don't want to :blush: cause this is the only PC I have right now :bat: and I really need it for work.

#15 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

View PostRollbar, on Jan 21 2010, 12:43 PM, said:

So which WEP is better or which one should I use?

ASLO, if I use the WEP (which one) and when it asks for a password or ... do I just type anything in there and then it will be my P-word. You know, the box under the slection box for WEP.
I just don't want to :2thumup: cause this is the only PC I have right now :beer: and I really need it for work.

WEP is the encryption type and the (WPA personal, WPA2 personal, WPA2 Enterprise, WPA Enterprise, 802.1x.) are the Security Type
You can choose WEP and Open or WEP and any other combination you want.
I don't like to complicate my life so I stick to WEP and Open and I use a series of Hex digits as my key.
hex digits = 0 thru 9 and A thru F and there are 5 sets of pairs for 64 bit encryption so you could choose any combo like this FF AA BB F1 22
128 Bit uses 13 pairs of hex digits. You choose this in your router as to which 64 or 128 it will be accepting.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:23 AM

Just ordered this one. Thanks guys. Now on to the WEP thing. Hope I don't lock myself out.

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

If you figure out the MAC address filter that you do not need anything else because only the MAC addresses you specify are the only ones allowed in. Adding the simple WEB is an additional safety net incase someone manages to clone your MAC Address but the odds on that are very slim
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

OK, I left the top box OPEN and I clicked on WEP and added a code I had from when I got the router. Tried it, won't let me on the internet. cleared it and I am on.

I did have two other setting that were secure on the MANAGE WIreless setting and they are secure but won't work. I did have those two on a static IP.

I am NOT on a static IP as of this date with this company.

I do have a Static IP on my server but that is a diferent story.

#19 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

Willy, got it working. The router wouldn't let the antenna into the system even though I had full bars. I reset the router to factory specs (pushed the button in the back) and it :rof: had to wait for the melt down to finish and then it worked, don't know how but it worked. I have the tower @ the house updating it and then I will carry it back to the office and then we will see if the antenna really reaches. It is on antenna now.

FYI-they offer a taller antenna for longer range, wish I knew that. We will see. I'll keep U posted.

BTW-since i am at factory settings I tries to use OPEN and WEPa2 or WEP for securiy on the D-link N and it wouldn't accept th internet until I left them both open. :rof: I would really like to secure it.

#20 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

OK, since I do have this antenna (they do have a bigger one. I have the 2dbi and they make a 5dbi)(MFG-Hiro - www.hiroinc.com part#H50193 ) I was reading the MFG's web page on this ( http://www.hiroinc.c...tegory_id=4#a46 ) and I see where I have to down load a new driver so when I upgrade to WIN7 it will work. Problem is if you go here ( http://www.hiroinc.com/article.php?categor...p;article_id=45 ) then which one do you pick from cause I don't see the right one ( http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloads...oads=true#2281). Then you have down load sites 1, 2, & 3 to choose from but the model numbers don't match :cry1: .

Here is the one I have ( http://www.hiroinc.com/product_details.php...&item_id=33 ).

I am this far away from the house in the back ground (the garage is to the right)

Posted Image

Sorry, I can right click on the HTTP bar but I can't right click on pics or the forum body to post the correct IMG.

So anyway, I am at a loss as to which one to down load for the antenna, I don't want to loose signal and go through all that again, that is why I would like to make it to where WIN7 will grab it/convert it automatically upon install.

Now, I found the driver page and it has them @ the bottom ( http://www.hiroinc.com/drivers ) but do I down load the one where is says WIN7 and hope I don't loose signal?

Hope this made since.

Signed, a person who can't read that web site.

#21 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

That link you posted http://www.hiroinc.com/article.php?categor...p;article_id=45 said that Windows 7 Drivers have been tested with this device and there is no problems so just let WIndows 7 detect it and do the Windows update.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

Ok, I thought I had to down load something.

P.S. I looked around town (9,000 people) and RShack/computer STORE :2thumup: didn't have a EXTENTION cable for the antenna so I could run it outside.

I think the ends are called ASP or something like that.

#23 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

View PostRollbar, on Jan 30 2010, 10:13 PM, said:

Ok, I thought I had to down load something.

P.S. I looked around town (9,000 people) and RShack/computer STORE :lol: didn't have a EXTENTION cable for the antenna so I could run it outside.

I think the ends are called ASP or something like that.

If it is a USB device try a USB extension cable.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/Search...8&CatId=444
Posted Image
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image

Look at the connector, it is like CATV but smaller. This is what I need @ least 10'

#25 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

I know but like I said above you can also get the USB extension cable to do the same thing. The device will plug into the USB extension cable to get it close to the outside wall then just run the antenna wire thru the wall.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#26 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

I have one of those as well. :banghead: , :banghead: , Banghead:

Thank you brother,
signed a person with a headache :banghead: :)

#27 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#28 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

View PostRollbar, on Jan 21 2010, 10:23 PM, said:

?

What cable/Coax is attached to this antenna? I can't remember the name of the small connector. I NEED to get an extension w/a coupler to link them together. Need to add about twenty feet to get it in another location on the building.

I wonder if I can add coax or if the antenna will handle it.

Maybe the Geek squad will know. :scratch:

Signed,
Tech specialist for wireless connections.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#29 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

Are you doing this because your wifi router is far away from these computers :scratch:

If so, just set up an amplified access point near your wifi router and you will be able to receive signal for 1+ miles. I have an old one in a box and a new one that I'm using now that works great as I had problems going from one end to the other through the walls and second floor. My neighbor is an acre away tells me that he gets better signal from mine than his (except he can't connect to mine :click:).
El Niņo

#30 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

You can also get a USB extension cable
Something like this :scratch:
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On