Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Breather info Might as well

#1 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 December 2004 - 02:33 PM

Figured since I was redoing everything in my Heep I might as well post this since I have not seen it anywhere, and you guys tend to the wet stuff...

For years now I have been wheeling inappropriate rigs in inappropriate areas, and to this day I have had no water related probs, fingers crossed, and except for the occasional cleanup...And I some might say beyond the rides abilities...

Well as for the wiring and all electricals, I am a believer in higher and drier, go to the roof or the rollbar for anything that is vital, go to the top of the engine bay for anything period, and so on, always waterproof your connects, always use the best possible grade wire/O2 free all copper tinned whatever, but check the insulation and manufacturers specs... Blabla bla

Well here is the infop, BREATHERS.... I am an advocate of fluid changes at insane intervals and so on but I am a nut about water in systems... It goes without saying so that all breathers should be raised as high as possible, however in my case, inaccsessable factory locations and not to many passages to the higher reaches of my Jeep, Grand Cherokee WJ, I have to improvise, eiter cutting holes in the floorplan, which those of you at Corbett know I am not upposed to, for drainage... Or just the biggest pain is the routing who wants a long a### breather hose running all over, then you run into flex issues abbrasion etc...

Well for around ten years now I have used a blatter off an old airplane for the task but any balloon or rubber, yep rubber, will do...
Before you go offroad, just wrap the Breather in the rubber, with a little air in it so that as the gasses build and expansion takes place, it goes in and out in and out just like your lungs or any other analogy you can think of...
There is a product out in the last few years that does the same thing for $40 or so, but I have been fine, takes some trial and error, and VERY LITTLE if any bad can come from this invent, that is why I like it so... Got it from a Korean war vet while he was talking about fueling systems and vapor recovery pressures or something on a Vintage plane, seemed to apply well..

I have never gotten any feedback, at all on this and I have been doing it for a loong time, in NJ NY CO AZ PA all sorts of places in a Grand ZJ a WJ several YJ's a CJ or 4 and some other 4x's that will remain nameless... I would love feedback on this....Seriously..
It can be handy for you
TJ ers with that overlooked tranny breather under your shifters, auto only I think...or the useless Tcase filter on my DubUJ...

Still can't figure out how to avoid this though, maybe...Posted Image
2000 5.2 WJ

#2 User is offline   NonStop 

• Colonel
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:15 PM

Oh yeah and secure the rubber, or balloon, with a zip tie or tape to your hose, or fitting. :puke:
2000 5.2 WJ

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:50 AM

Pretty nifty idea.. :gossip:

Do you have any pics they way you did yours or anyone else on the net you can link to & post it :puke:

I know you don't want me to post one of my favorite smilies.... Oh what the heck! :cool1:

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic