JEEPTALK.net: LCD vs. Plasma - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1

LCD vs. Plasma

#1 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

a friend of mine is in the market for a new tv this holiday season and asked me for advice as per which is better LCD or plasma .....anybody have any reccomendations on the 2 ...as far as pros and cons go ???? :rof: he is after a 50' - 60'

#2 User is offline   ChuckieB 

• First Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

Plasma provides a fantastic picture but the screen puts off a lot of heat and the life span is only about 8 years and then it has to be replaced. The LCD's picture is almost as good as a Plasma, they don't run as hot and when the picture starts to go out (8 to 10 years) all you have to do is replace the light bulb, which can be around $200 or more depending on the TV.

This is based on a few years back so technology may have changed a little! I know plasma TV's have come way down in price due to the popularity of the LCD's and I think LCD's have actually started using LED's now.

If your friend is actually wanting a TV that big he might want to take a look at a DLP projector!

#3 User is offline   floppy 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

When Plasmas first came out that's how they were but they've really stepped up now. Actually their half-life was about 8 years (the time it takes until the tv is half as bright as it was when it was new). Right now their half-life is somewhere around 60-100 years. I know I won't have my tv for 60 years so I'm not concerned with it. newer technology will come out and I'll keep upgrading. I bought my 50" plasma last year and am absolutely in love with it.

Either way he goes though a Plasma or an LCD would be a great buy. Do NOT buy a DLP projector though... The picture is crap compared to the other two and you cannot view the tv from the side at all. As soon as you start moving towards the sides, everything turns black. They're very cheap so a lot of people are tempted by them but don't waste your money.

Oh yeah, and Plasma TV's don't put off as much heat as they used to. My PS3 puts out a crapload more heat than my TV.

#4 User is offline   ChuckieB 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:24 PM

I agree on the DLP projector! It used to be if you wanted to get over 50" it was they way to go. I have seen some that produce a decent picture but you could buy 2 plasma's for the same cost.

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

I just purchased a 52" LCD Samsung, did not see a reason for LED. The key here is the contrast levels, the higher the more in cost. This TV kicks. The LEDs are nice but they have not been perfected to their potential and they are still a bit too high in cost since they just came out not too long ago. LCD or Plasma, not that much difference now, they last for a while... so they say.

I'm just waiting for them to come out with a 60" so I can replace the downstairs TV which is an older HD 720, got that one in 2004 but it is still kicking good so I'm praying it will last, saving some money for the 60", should take another 2 years. :rof:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#6 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

View PostJim B, on Nov 27 2009, 07:16 PM, said:

I'm just waiting for them to come out with a 60" so I can replace the downstairs TV which is an older HD 720, got that one in 2004 but it is still kicking good so I'm praying it will last, saving some money for the 60", should take another 2 years. :grin:

I'll take the old 60" to replace your old 50" Jim!!! :lol: :lol:

#7 User is offline   UTKJinFL 

• Captain

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

Plasma still offers the best black levels by far which means they also have the best contrast. The only negative to plasma is the glossy glass required means best performance is achieved in a darkened room. Plasmas will go on for years, they don't just expire after 8 years or whatever. If the state of CA has banned them, you know it's got to be good.

Some people (like me) cannot watch DLP anything because of the rainbow effect (no not that rainbow). Whenever I watch a DLP, I seen rainbows shoot across the screen just outside the area that I am focussing on. Not all people see it, but once you notice it, you can never ignore it. Bulb life in DLP TV's are short on some TVs especially if it's powered on and off many times per day. My friend goes through a bulb every year in his Panasonic DLP.

LCD's are great for watching the demo videos in the store. If you like sports or anything with movement, the refresh rate of LCD will look blocky. The most top of the line LCD's are better than most, but still unacceptable in my opinion.

LED TV's are straight asstastic. I wish I could find something positive to say here but I can't. The principle of these tv's operates on an optical illusion. Again like with DLP, once you notice the illusion, it becomes unwatchable.

For me, Plasma is the only way to go but I acknowledge it's only for true enthusiasts.
MOAB Tested
2006 KJ Turbo Diesel
1997 4Runner w/stuff

#8 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

I cannot stand the glossy glass that Plasma have. It is more noticeable for me since it is a flat surface unlike the old tube TV's.
I have also seen the DLP and they have horrible picture.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   SeaMonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

View PostJeepNWilly, on Nov 28 2009, 05:07 PM, said:

I cannot stand the glossy glass that Plasma have. It is more noticeable for me since it is a flat surface unlike the old tube TV's.
I have also seen the DLP and they have horrible picture.

Willy,
glare is actually far less noticeable since the angle of the light source has to perfectly opposite to the viewing angle because the surface is flat. The old curved glass will pick up light from everywhere--that's why security mirrors are also convex. I had the same concerns when I bought my plasma since i had a large window behind and just to the right of my couch. I took the plunge anyway, and it was never a problem (unless I was wearing my miner's hat ; ). Most people I know have LCDs and I've got to say, if you like picture quality, go with plasma. If you're in a small area and worry about heat (it is slightly more), or don't need anything larger than 40", go with LCD.

I agree about DLP, or any rear projection TV--they are horrible.
- 2000 TJ with big rubbery tires for going on trails and stuff.

#10 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

View PostSeaMonkey, on Nov 28 2009, 05:42 PM, said:

Willy,
glare is actually far less noticeable since the angle of the light source has to perfectly opposite to the viewing angle because the surface is flat. The old curved glass will pick up light from everywhere--that's why security mirrors are also convex. I had the same concerns when I bought my plasma since i had a large window behind and just to the right of my couch. I took the plunge anyway, and it was never a problem (unless I was wearing my miner's hat ; ). Most people I know have LCDs and I've got to say, if you like picture quality, go with plasma. If you're in a small area and worry about heat (it is slightly more), or don't need anything larger than 40", go with LCD.

I agree about DLP, or any rear projection TV--they are horrible.

It does sound strange but when I visit my brother the glare drives me crazy. At home I still have a tube TV in the livingroom and and I do not have that problem.
I prefer LCD though becasue there is no glare or reflection at all. I have one in my bedroom.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

View PostTallJeep, on Nov 27 2009, 10:05 PM, said:

I'll take the old 60" to replace your old 50" Jim!!! :lol: :lol:

Sorry Gus but this time it will cost you :grin:

View PostUTKJinFL, on Nov 28 2009, 10:33 AM, said:

If you like sports or anything with movement, the refresh rate of LCD will look blocky. The most top of the line LCD's are better than most, but still unacceptable in my opinion.

For me, Plasma is the only way to go but I acknowledge it's only for true enthusiasts.

You might be living in the past, I just bought an LCD and I don't see this problem at all. I did a bit of homework and I went LCD considering myself an enthusiast. I also think it depends on the model you are comparing to.

The better blacks that are on plasma that some are referring to is not even an issue with some of the newer LCDs.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply