JEEPTALK.net: Handheld or dash mount CB - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handheld or dash mount CB Would a handheld work for me?

#1 User is offline   floppy 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

Hopefully this is the right place to post this thread...

I'm looking for a CB radio to talk with friends on trails. I doubt I would ever need it to work more than a mile away. Most of the time I would be talking with people a couple hundred feet away, if that. Would a handheld CB radio work well enough for this? I've seen various comments about handheld radios not working well inside the cab of a vehicle but I don't have a roof or doors on my YJ. Does that make a difference? I just don't want to install a dash mounted cb radio because I'm sure it will probably be stolen and I don't have a place to mount it.

Normally when I ride, I go out to Corbett with maybe one or two other guys. I rarely ride in groups larger than that and we're never that far away from each other. What do you guys think?

#2 User is offline   CaptainCody 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

I have used them in the past, with no problems. I opted to go that route for the exact same reason.

#3 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

THis is what I used and I love it. I also did not want a regular CB as it will not look good on my Dash.
Everything is in the mic. Easy to remove as well jst one plug.
Posted Image
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2437609

You could also get a magnetic antenna and a wire to your hand held. You will get better signal.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   floppy 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

View PostCaptainCody, on Nov 3 2009, 06:40 PM, said:

I have used them in the past, with no problems. I opted to go that route for the exact same reason.

What kind of distance do you normally get with your handheld CB? How does it do in big groups on trails?

View PostJeepNWilly, on Nov 3 2009, 06:45 PM, said:

THis is what I used and I love it. I also did not want a regular CB as it will not look good on my Dash.
Everything is in the mic. Easy to remove as well jst one plug.
Posted Image
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2437609

You could also get a magnetic antenna and a wire to your hand held. You will get better signal.

Although that qualifies as a handheld CB it wasn't quite what I had in mind. Those are just too much money for me to spend on a CB. They look great though.

I want to order a CB tonight but I can't make up my mind if I want a handheld unit or a dash mounted unit. I keep going back and forth between the two. I've gone as far as having both setups in my shopping cart on different websites. I just need to know if a handheld unit will work far enough.

#5 User is offline   CaptainCody 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

Yes they work fine for what you are talkin about

#6 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

I also have the Cobra HH RoadTrip handheld. I used it prior to getting the one I posted. With the small rubber antenna it has he reception is a few hundred feet but when you add an external magnetic mount antenna it will improve the reception. I had the cheap radioshack model before the Cobra HH RoadTrip and it was horrible. I now use the Cobra HH RoadTrip on my CJ when I take it out.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2437610
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   floppy 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hmm... I didn't really want to have to use a magnetic antenna. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a handheld CB. A few hundred feet doesn't sound too great either. CaptainCody, do you have any idea how far yours normally works? The one I was looking at was the cheapest midland handheld cb I could find. I'm guessing the range on it isn't going to be very good. Thanks for the help guys.

#8 User is offline   N9NQ 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

The biggest issue with a hand held is it's size and where to put it if you need both hands all the sudden...Some are also 4 watts output but the antenna is not as good most of the time... You are sort of stuck with holding it with the antenna horizontal or maybe even the antenna tip pointed directly at the other vehicle. This can degrade the performance by 99% but could still get the distance you are talking.

I would go with a mobile mounted high to keep it dry...
The one JeepNWilly put on the post would be a good choise..

Robert
N9NQ

#9 User is offline   CaptainCody 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

View Postfloppy, on Nov 3 2009, 09:14 PM, said:

Hmm... I didn't really want to have to use a magnetic antenna. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a handheld CB. A few hundred feet doesn't sound too great either. CaptainCody, do you have any idea how far yours normally works? The one I was looking at was the cheapest midland handheld cb I could find. I'm guessing the range on it isn't going to be very good. Thanks for the help guys.

Never really get that far away from the group. If I were to guess, I would say a quarter mile. If I know I am gonna be further than that I use VHF (not legal on land) but if your smart ya can get away w it... :grin:

#10 User is offline   floppy 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting a dash mount uniden 510 CB with a wilson flex 4ft antenna.

#11 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:57 AM

I also have had the Cobra Willy posted for many years. Still going strong and I can hear it just fine, I did have to re tape the coil cord after so many years because the plastic fell apart.

If I had to do it again I would get the same concept but in the Midland model. I have one that I used to use when I had the RV (still have it). I like this one better because whey you pick up the unit to speak your volume and squelch does not move by accident like the Cobra does. I have not switched it because I'm lazy and I'm waiting for the Cobra to fail but it still keeps on going. :popcorn:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic