Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Narrow width HP 44

#1 User is offline   schecterguy 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:49 PM

Before I settled on this direction, I had bought an early bronco 44 which despite being low pinion, having 5.38 gears and .25 walls, would've been pretty easy to run matching my currie 9. But upon talking to some guy in Pennsylvania and deciding to trade my rear for his full width 60(later determined to be a 61) with 5.13's, 35spl alloys and a detroit, I promptly traded the eb 44 to my friend for his full width hp 44 with the intention of gearing it to 5.13.
Of course a few days later, after he informed me that it was actually a (less than ultra desireable) dana 61, I told the guy I was just gonna keep my axle. Why not just trade back with my friend? He's already bought gears for it to match the 8.8 he's putting under his nissan hard body.
So I was stuck with a full width housing.
Started with a stock 76 high pinion dana 44 out of (I think) an f150. The bom is pretty much unreadable.
Tore it down completely:
Posted Image

I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut into the welds holding the inner c's on:
Posted Image

Posted Image

And ground out a lot more than was necessary for some reason.
Posted Image

I didn't have anything really set up to hold the axle in place at this point, so of course I did this:
Posted Image

Posted Image

And used these:
Posted Image

To get the c's off.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It wasn't a 3/4 ton 8 lug hd 44, so I don't have the 3" tubes.
Posted Image

But I do have .5" wall, and I'm considering a truss for added strength.
Posted Image

Then my camera's batteries died, while they were charging I cut 1.78625" off the passenger side and 3.10625" off the driver's side to match a wagoneer 44.
And ended up with this:
Posted Image

Set my pinion angle at ~13*, mocked the c's back on at ~6.5*
Posted Image

And that's where I am now. Haven't welded anything up yet.
Planning on running waggy chromos and ctm's from ecgs, already have yukon 4.88's, master install kit and warn premiums. Still need a 3.92+ carrier (or a detroit?) chevy knuckles for hi steer, hi steer components, brackets and then new wheels. So it's definitely a work in progress.

#2 User is offline   SodMan 

• Captain
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

Sweet,
I used a waggy 44 and installed Crane knuckles W/high steer. Your tubes will be much stronger than mine. Hope it doesn't take you as long as it has me. The front end is done, just need to get the rear-end in.
It's all fun in the end. Good luck.
J. B.
Life is short, BOG it to the hub!!!!!!!
1977 CJ7, d30 frt/ARB locker/4:56, amc20widetrack rear w/Blue torch truss system/Detroit locker, molly one piece axles/4:56. MT classic lock rims w/15.5x15x35 TSL's, 4" skyjacker under spring lift +1" body lift + 11/4" shackel lift, anti wrap adjustable stabalizers, sway bar disconects, Warn front bumper w/9000#winch,Warn rear bumper w/matching spare. dry box. linex tub, 3R racing seats w/ 4way harnesess, tuffy security console, tuffy overhead console w/JVC cd and cobra C.B. Rear soundbar, Diamond plate rear corner guards and rocker guards. Aluminum dash w/ultralite guages and megellen GPS. windsheild mounted warn h/l beam off road lights. Under the hood??? AMC, not Ford, Not Cheverolet, not Dodge, but AMC 401 w/goodies tied to a built TH400 pushing through a D300 w/ Currie twin stick. IT STILL GET'S STUCK! The GPS is for locating gas stations!!!!!!!!!! A/C = holes in floor, no windows and bikini top!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Miami Jeep Fort Lauderdale Jeep Dealer