Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORFab Stinger

#1 User is offline   eMETAL 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

didn't get a chance to post these up here... but back in July I received ORFab's latest creation.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and then with their optional light bracket
(accepts 3 smaller lights or 2 larger... mounts to winch bolts... this should be universal for anyone needing light mounting)

Posted Image
My dreams were dropped on their heads when they were a baby...
that said, they take a little longer to come true.

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

Very nice but check w/your insurance. NOT SURE (heard through the grape vine) but if U get into an accident w/that stinger on they can cancel U and U will be liable 100% etc.

P.S. Nice though :2thumbdown:

#3 User is offline   eMETAL 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

View PostRollbar, on Sep 8 2009, 08:43 PM, said:

Very nice but check w/your insurance. NOT SURE (heard through the grape vine) but if U get into an accident w/that stinger on they can cancel U and U will be liable 100% etc.

P.S. Nice though :rof:

thanks for the headsup. :2thumbdown:
never would have thought of that. this thing sure would cause one thing of a mess if i hit someone :ya:

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   JeepDew 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

that thing sticks out so far forward, you would hit a car and find out 2 mins later.... :2thumbdown:
I own 2 Jeeps, both of them
Posted Image
04TJ & 88MJ

http://jeepdew.mybrute.com / my brute will kick your brute's @$$

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:24 AM

How far (in inches) is the top of the Stinger above the tallest part of the hood, this includes the section all the way back to the cowl :2thumbdown:

The front mounted shackles, are they mounted at the end sides (seems from the picture) or near the actual Jeep frame support, also any support to the back end :ya:

Seems like in one of the pics the bumper does not seem as long, but when you look at the pic after installed on the vehicle it looks longer, maybe it's my eyes.

How thick is the steel of the bumper :rof:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#6 User is offline   eMETAL 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

Ok Jim B
phew... that was a lots o questions! LOL! i took pictures to help answer the best i could.

View PostJim B, on Sep 9 2009, 08:24 AM, said:

How far (in inches) is the top of the Stinger above the tallest part of the hood, this includes the section all the way back to the cowl :grin:

from ground to stinger... (53 ish inches)
Posted Image

Posted Image

from ground to top of hood cowl... (57 ish inches)
Posted Image

Posted Image

The front mounted shackles, are they mounted at the end sides (seems from the picture) or near the actual Jeep frame support, also any support to the back end :2thumup:
the shackle mounts directly to the end of the frame holding both the shackle mount and bumper in place, see picture below...
Posted Image

what do you mean by support to the back end?

there are also long through bolts that mount from the underside lip of the bumper and go up through the winch plate... i have not installed these as of yet due to the absence of a winch. (working on that fund) seen here...

looking down at winch plate...
Posted Image

from underside of bumper...
Posted Image

these bolt through this frame crossmember...
Posted Image

Seems like in one of the pics the bumper does not seem as long, but when you look at the pic after installed on the vehicle it looks longer, maybe it's my eyes.

i can see how the pictures would fool with the eyes a bit... here's a better example of the length outward... (31.5" from front of grill)

Posted Image

Posted Image

How thick is the steel of the bumper :ya:

the bumper is constructed of 3/16" steel and the stinger bar is 1 3/4"

hope i have answered all your questions. :biggrin1:

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

Darn your good, way to hang in there. :biggrin1:

All looks good especially the mounting points look excellent, as well as the mounting on or by the main frame area. :ya:

There are different types of Stingers, some are far from grill, others closer, others even close.
My personal taste is around 18-20" from grill, I have my reasons. :grin:

Now for the first question it might not be possible (or maybe) to measure from ground, you might just have to eye this out. A good working stinger should stick up from the highest point of the hood area from 1 to 1.5"s (higher is ok). The measurements you took from the ground do not reveal this but it might not be necessarily so. I have seen many stingers work of stock measurements not allowing for after market body lifts that raise it up. You might have to eye it or place a long stick form the highest portion of the hood to the top of the stinger to make sure. If the hood is higher than stinger... oh well. :2thumup: :ya:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#8 User is offline   TufrThNails 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

I think I am following you... Jim he wants to know if in a rollover is the stinger going to do its job and keep the hood from being smashed. That what you wanted Jim?
Miller, Jonathan
"Baby Kong"
2002 wrangler X
Enough my wife stays pissed at me!

Lakeland Jeep Club

"If I break it. It's an excuse to get what I really want right?"
"How many jeeps do we really need in the driveway at one time?"

#9 User is offline   eMETAL 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:04 PM

View PostJim B, on Sep 9 2009, 01:17 PM, said:

Darn your good, way to hang in there. :biggrin1:

All looks good especially the mounting points look excellent, as well as the mounting on or by the main frame area. :ya:

There are different types of Stingers, some are far from grill, others closer, others even close.
My personal taste is around 18-20" from grill, I have my reasons. :grin:

Now for the first question it might not be possible (or maybe) to measure from ground, you might just have to eye this out. A good working stinger should stick up from the highest point of the hood area from 1 to 1.5"s (higher is ok). The measurements you took from the ground do not reveal this but it might not be necessarily so. I have seen many stingers work of stock measurements not allowing for after market body lifts that raise it up. You might have to eye it or place a long stick form the highest portion of the hood to the top of the stinger to make sure. If the hood is higher than stinger... oh well. :2thumup: :ya:

ok... what i am going to do tonight when i get off work is get a piece of lumber and place it up by the windshield out to the stinger with a level on top of it. have a buddy take a picture and this should show this.

View Posttufrthnails, on Sep 9 2009, 02:00 PM, said:

I think I am following you Jim he wants to know if in a rollover is the stinger going to do its job and keep the hood from being smashed. That what you wanted Jim?

i also plan on having a grill bar put on to this bumper with added supports connecting it to the stinger...

kind of like so...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:26 PM

View Posttufrthnails, on Sep 9 2009, 02:00 PM, said:

I think I am following you... Jim wants to know if in a rollover is the stinger going to do its job and keep the hood from being smashed. That what you wanted Jim?

Precisely, not so much for the hood but for the engine compartment and components. :grin:

View PosteMETAL, on Sep 9 2009, 02:04 PM, said:

ok... what i am going to do tonight when i get off work is get a piece of lumber and place it up by the windshield out to the stinger with a level on top of it. have a buddy take a picture and this should show this.

i also plan on having a grill bar put on to this bumper with added supports connecting it to the stinger...

No need for pics, just make sure you have a gap in the middle and you should be good to go.

The Grill bar is a nice feature also but if you notice in the picture you posted it is almost as high as the hood. You want this higher than hood as well. I think MilesAway has something similar, not sure (he is under). I had one and was going to modify the ends as they were sticking out for my taste a bit too much (served me well for years), but the one I'm using now temporarily fits my needs, the stinger is high but I would have liked the side ears to be equal as high but it was not design this way for a body lift. This was not taken into consideration on the design. Still an excellent bumper though.
El Niņo

#11 User is offline   eMETAL 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

View PostJim B, on Sep 9 2009, 02:26 PM, said:

Precisely, not so much for the hood but for the engine compartment and components. :2thumup:

No need for pics, just make sure you have a gap in the middle and you should be good to go.

The Grill bar is a nice feature also but if you notice in the picture you posted it is almost as high as the hood. You want this higher than hood as well. I think MilesAway has something similar, not sure (he is under). I had one and was going to modify the ends as they were sticking out for my taste a bit too much (served me well for years), but the one I'm using now temporarily fits my needs, the stinger is high but I would have liked the side ears to be equal as high but it was not design this way for a body lift. This was not taken into consideration on the design. Still an excellent bumper though.

i understand what you mean. definitely just used that pic for a description. i have emailed gen right to see if they can make the grille bar for me for the JK. (they already make it but it's included in their bumper) i just need the bar. then i will add the supports myself and will for sure make it so that it's above the hoodline. :grin:

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic