JEEPTALK.net: Full width axles illegal? - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1

Full width axles illegal?

#1 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

As im still looking everyday for the right jeep.... this just kinda came up, but was wondering are full width axles under a jeep illegal at all?... i know the tires are just out there with little to no fender cover?... sorry if this is the wrong forum....wasnt sure where to put it...

#2 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

Technically No...... splash guards are required on large commercial trucks but not private vehicles and there are laws that state that loads being carried on private vehicles can't extend more than 6" past the most outer part of vehicle. So, seeing that the axles are actually a "part of" and attached to the vehicle it would be hard to charge a driver with any violations.
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

#3 User is offline   Valfam 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

View PostWildbill, on Sep 4 2009, 11:25 PM, said:

Technically No...... splash guards are required on large commercial trucks but not private vehicles and there are laws that state that loads being carried on private vehicles can't extend more than 6" past the most outer part of vehicle. So, seeing that the axles are actually a "part of" and attached to the vehicle it would be hard to charge a driver with any violations.

I'm not sure about that. Some time ago cops in Miami ware really getting on truck with wide axles, most of my friends with CJ's had to get wide fenders flares to cover up some of the tire. I had a full size jeep so I did not have that problem.
Ruben
2015 Grand Cherokee 4X4 Summit

Definition of JEEP = J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket

Check Out My Jeeps at Cardomain's Site My Jeeps

#4 User is offline   Monster76 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

ive personally never had a problem with that have heard stories but never seen anything to really confirm the idea
89 YJ d44/d60 38" tsl's 4" springs front 4.5" XJ springs in rear HEAVY RIGHT FOOT 4.2 I6 5 spd sye w/custom shafts, some lights and ICE COLD A/C

#5 User is offline   XrayDivr 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

as far as i know so long as no more than 2" of tire is left expossed to sling water of mud your ok you may have to add wider flares as suggested. on that note i have a full width d44 for sale
president: jubicon express off-road

at jubicon express i'm not only the president but i'm also a client.

#6 User is offline   bigugly78CJ5 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.......... maybe ill ask a few of the cops that come into my dealership. get there 2 cents on it......... i found a jeep im leaning towards heavily...but its got some full width axles(which i love) but wanted to make sure im not gonna get into hot water driving the crap out of it :lol:....

#7 User is offline   SouthernStyleV8 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

ive got my tires sticking 8" out each fender and there on a full size wagoneer......never had a problem
83 Jeep Wagoneer Swamp Series
CJ7 Swamp Buggy

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply