• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using the Reply Tab

#1 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

There are two ways to reply to a Post:

1. Hit the "reply tab at the post you are trying to answer.
This method "quotes" and places your reply at the bottom of the quote your are trying to answer.

2. Hit the "add reply" tab at the end of the page.
This method does not quote and just adds your reply which will suffice in most cases.

Here is the problem I see happening that some Members do not understand. Using #1 will quote "all" including pictures if they have been posted making the topic/post very long in some cases with an answer to the post of "nice pictures". Why not use #2 instead? There are times when you need to quote and there is pictures that don't need to be in the quote, go ahead and use #1 and delete the links of the pictures or the information that is not needed and only leave the information you are trying to reply to.

There is actually a #3 option:
Let's say you want to reply or "quote" to 3 postings in a topic in one single Post. Click on the +quote tab of each of the Postings you wish to reply to (they will turn red), go down to the bottom of page and click on the "add reply" tab, this will bring up the reply edit screen with all the "quotes" of each of the 3 postings. You can then reply to each in between the quotes marks. Don't forget to remove the information that is not needed in the "quotes" that do not pertain in order to avoid confusion or useless banter.

When all else fails you can click on the help tab on the top right of each page.
Take 3 minutes to read on how to post on JeepTalk step by step.

There is also a small video that explains a few things: Posting on JeepTalk

Admin

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Thanks, this info is needed on CCJ. Admin, can I ask our Admin on CCJ to look @ this and can he ask for your for permission to use it?

#3 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

Not a problem, feel free to use the information. I can see how other forums have this issue as well.

Admin

#4 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

Let me add another tip. Similar to reply or posting but this has to do with Posting a Picture in your topic or post reply.

As we all know they need to be no larger than 640x480 but there is something else that I'm seeing regularly on some JT Members that post more than one picture.

They do not use a carriage return between the code or picture.

This causes the picture to be right up against each other and at times it is hard to view depending on the image. At times it looks like it is one giant picture that was posted until you stop your scroll and look closely at the image.

Try placing a carriage return between the images if you are posting more than one to break up the continuity.

Another issue I see is that (unless you are trying to purposely cause an effect) many of you like the carriage return a lot when replying or quoting a post. Your reply should be immediately below the [/quote] without a carriage return. The forum interface will automatically post the correct spacing.

When you need to view how your post will turn out just hit the preview button and then the final submit button when you are satisfied.

These are all tips, please don't take them as rules or anything like that. We are just trying to make your postings better looking and easier for everyone else to read avoiding unnecessary scrolling.

Admin

#5 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:17 AM

I have been receiving a few inquiries as to the proper way to reply to a Topic or Post.

I have pinned this topic to the top of this support forum so that it can be easier for Jeep Talk Members to refer to.

Admin

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic