Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

General iPhone Discussion

#1 User is offline   litoo7 

• Staff Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

Now That we found out the Tethering works good.... Does anyone know if we are going to get a suprise at the end of month for tethering??? I really Dont like those types of suprises!
97 TJ- 4" Lift - 35" MT Baja Claw - 12k MileMarker Winch - More too come!

#2 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:52 AM

No suprises unless you get crazy with it and go downloading movies or something. You have an unlimited data plan. Just think if you were watching espn live or something for a few hours how much that would take.

In short, no worries.
90 YJ 4.2 - 3" BL / 4" RC Lift / 33x12.5x15 TSL Swampers / Smittybuilt XRC-10
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Member: Square Headlight Intense Team
Member: South Florida Jeep Club
Always looking to get dirty…
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

"If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them"
"Dont quote me on anything i say from knowledge.. only experience"

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

I agree, we have the Att unlimited data plan. The phone has been registered and not messed with so I don't see what the problem would be.

Besides, if I use the Tethering more than just a few times a year to surf, connect and do work it would be too much. You can usually get wifi all over the place with the laptop. When we were in Kentucky wheeling it would have been nice and some of the guys were getting this at camp. I had to drive down the hill by the entrance were they had free Wifi for the guests. Now I'm looking for the comfort. :2thumbdown:

They say that people sometime can ruin a good thing, like Brian says, if someone is downloading huge files or movies they will try and put a stop to it because they can see the data packets being more than normal and they know you are not going to be doing this on a 3" screen which officially Att will have at some point anyway. People now are streaming services right to their phone so the data will be used because of some of these services.

I pretty much still use my phone as a phone and enjoy the business applications. :ya:
Posted Image Posted Image
El Nińo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

View PostDRE, on Jul 1 2009, 01:07 AM, said:

figured, on a side note tethering is pretty cool! Too bad I just bought an ATT air card for my netbook and the plan only allows for 5gb/month!

I don't wish to get off topic on how some of these features posted can help offroad... but

If you have regular Att service for your cell in addition to this air card you should be able to yell loud enough telling them you only needed the service for one month as this is not what you really needed and not working as you thought it would. Does not help for the purchase of the air card but at least is something.
El Nińo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#5 User is offline   litoo7 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

Has anyone tired tethering on a pc with vista?? I tried using it this weekend but couldnt. I hooked it up to my comp (windows XP) and a mac, they both work perfect... does anyone have any tips?

#6 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

this is why Vista is crap. there is fixes around this.

please start a new thread for general iPhone 3.0 discussions under Chit Chat. this is not relating to "Off Road Tech" (even though i have ran off topic plenty my own, this is becoming too much)

:2:
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

"If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them"

#7 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

View Postlitoo7, on Jul 6 2009, 11:53 AM, said:

Has anyone tired tethering on a pc with vista?? I tried using it this weekend but couldnt. I hooked it up to my comp (windows XP) and a mac, they both work perfect... does anyone have any tips?

No issues for me at all. it actually detected and installed the iPhone as a modem and was browsing withing few min.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

This topic created to prevent offtopic discussion on the iPhone OffRoad Tech topic
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   litoo7 

• Staff Sergeant

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

Thank you jeepnwilly!

I'm still stuck with the vista + tethering...

#10 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:39 PM

View Postlitoo7, on Jul 7 2009, 11:08 PM, said:

Thank you jeepnwilly!

I'm still stuck with the vista + tethering...

Are you using the method JimB posted?
If so once you turn on Tethering plug the iphone to your USB Port and your Computer should install a modem. Make sure you have Itunes 8.2 (I think it is the latest)
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

View PostJeepNWilly, on Jul 7 2009, 11:39 PM, said:

Are you using the method JimB posted?
If so once you turn on Tethering plug the iphone to your USB Port and your Computer should install a modem. Make sure you have Itunes 8.2 (I think it is the latest)

I just validated my comment above.
My wife's laptop was not at Itunes 8.2. It was 8 and when I connected the iPhone no modem install at all. I then upgraded her Itunes to the latest and as soon as I pluged the iPhone it installed the modem and the blue Internet Tethering bar is visible on in my iPhone.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:10 AM

MyWi Released! Turn your iPhone into a Wifi hotspot!

Create a WiFi HotSpot with a press of a finger! Wherever you are - you can connect your laptop or other mobile device to your iPhone easily!
Quote:
Features:
- Create WiFi Hotspot to connect mutiple laptops or mobile devices to share your iPhone's internet connection
- 40 bit and 104 bit WEP Security to prevent others from accessing your WiFi HotSpot
- Ability to enable USB and Bluetooth Tethering on your iPhone as well
- Broadcasts the Network Name (SSID) - no need to fuss with creating an adhoc network on your laptop
- Uses less battery and much faster then PdaNet due to native routing
- Shows up and down bandwith usage

NOTE: MyWi does not support the iPhone 2G. Please see your carrier contract for eligibility and/or additional fees.
I played around with this all afternoon, and it seems to work great. A nice addition to this app is that you don't have to have tethering enabled from a custom ipcc either, you can enable tethering from MyWi. I had three laptops connected to my phone earlier this afternoon and they all were able to cruise the net quite nicely. MyWi sells for $9.99 and is a great application to have on your iPhone. There is a free 10 day trial available also

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Enjoy!

more found here...
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

#13 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

Very neat info :2thumup: I looked at the url posted and it did not say if you had to have the 3GS JB or not.

You might want to post MiWi on the Tips and trick iphone topic for offroad as this can really come in handy. :2thumup:
El Nińo

#14 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

all it says about compatibility is that it will not work on iPhone 2G.. this leads me to think it will work on 3G and 3G-S.
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

#15 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

excellent find :2thumup:
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

After testing the iPhone Wifi Hotspot app Brian mention above I found out that it is a great app but please be carefull as I stumbled upon a bug I think.
Here it goes.
I tested it all day at work :whistle: :bat: and all was good. I was able to get multiple PC's accessing the web via my iPhone. :2thumup: I truned the app off and put the iPhone away. When I got home I get back online with work (on call duties :angry: ) and all was good for about an hour. I must have checked mail using the iPhone and since I keep Wifi turned on it connected to my home access point. All was good so far. After I logged off from work I turned to my home PC and was getting ready to check JeepTalk when I get an error. Hmm my PC has no internet. I start trouble shooting I get no where fast. I try getting online with my wife's Laptop and same no internet. My daughter comes by tasking me what is wrong with the net. At that point I think it is my firewall going down since I was able to ping it but could not get into the web consol. I rebooted the firewall still nothing, I rebooted DSL modem still nothing. I scan my network and I am able to see every PC within my network and RDP into my server without a problem but still no internet and no firewall consol access. I called my friend to see if he can get into my network (we have same firewall and have a permanent VPN between our networks) he can get in and access my firewall consol without any issue. That ruled out any issues with AT&T. :angry: :king1: We keep troubleshooting. Since my frien was able to get into he firewall web consol he decided to reload my last configuration. That prompted a reboot of the firewall. I was still pinging the firewall while he sent the reboot command. :shock: the firewall rebooted and I never lost a ping. :shock: My freind said there is no way the ping returned a success while the firewall was rebooting but lets turn it off, we did and I was still geting succesfull pings :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
He then said turn off the iPhone and I was like well then we need to hang up since I was talking to him on it. Once the iPhone powered down the ping started to fail. Started the firewall back up and all my internet issues were fixed.

Somehow my iPhone connected via my home wifi access point and managed to get hold of my firewall LAN IP. I think the Wifi APP had something to do with it becauese My iPhone was showing me a regular IP but somehow it was still grabing the firewall LAN IP causing my network to go crazy since my gateway (firewall) uses that IP.

It is not a DHCP issue because I have an IP range designated for DHCP that are no where near the gateway(firewall) IP so this must have been internal to the Wifi Hotspot app MyWI.

Sorry for the long winded post :biggrin1:
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:50 AM

View PostJeepNWilly, on Jul 9 2009, 12:15 AM, said:

After testing the iPhone Wifi Hotspot app Brian mention above I found out that it is a great app but please be carefull as I stumbled upon a bug I think.
Here it goes.
I tested it all day at work :whistle: :bat: and all was good. I was able to get multiple PC's accessing the web via my iPhone. :2thumup: I truned the app off and put the iPhone away. When I got home I get back online with work (on call duties :angry: ) and all was good for about an hour. I must have checked mail using the iPhone and since I keep Wifi turned on it connected to my home access point. All was good so far. After I logged off from work I turned to my home PC and was getting ready to check JeepTalk when I get an error. Hmm my PC has no internet. I start trouble shooting I get no where fast. I try getting online with my wife's Laptop and same no internet. My daughter comes by tasking me what is wrong with the net. At that point I think it is my firewall going down since I was able to ping it but could not get into the web consol. I rebooted the firewall still nothing, I rebooted DSL modem still nothing. I scan my network and I am able to see every PC within my network and RDP into my server without a problem but still no internet and no firewall consol access. I called my friend to see if he can get into my network (we have same firewall and have a permanent VPN between our networks) he can get in and access my firewall consol without any issue. That ruled out any issues with AT&T. :angry: :king1: We keep troubleshooting. Since my frien was able to get into he firewall web consol he decided to reload my last configuration. That prompted a reboot of the firewall. I was still pinging the firewall while he sent the reboot command. :shock: the firewall rebooted and I never lost a ping. :shock: My freind said there is no way the ping returned a success while the firewall was rebooting but lets turn it off, we did and I was still geting succesfull pings :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
He then said turn off the iPhone and I was like well then we need to hang up since I was talking to him on it. Once the iPhone powered down the ping started to fail. Started the firewall back up and all my internet issues were fixed.

Somehow my iPhone connected via my home wifi access point and managed to get hold of my firewall LAN IP. I think the Wifi APP had something to do with it becauese My iPhone was showing me a regular IP but somehow it was still grabing the firewall LAN IP causing my network to go crazy since my gateway (firewall) uses that IP.

It is not a DHCP issue because I have an IP range designated for DHCP that are no where near the gateway(firewall) IP so this must have been internal to the Wifi Hotspot app MyWI.

Sorry for the long winded post :biggrin1:

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: I think still to early for me to read this post, I'll come back later and try again....

PS: I always keep the Wi-fi off on my I-phone unless I need it, the last thing I need is some low life hacker getting a hold of my phone and messing with it :2:

#18 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:56 AM

View PostTallJeep, on Jul 9 2009, 07:50 AM, said:

:king1: :bat: :biggrin1: I think still to early for me to read this post, I'll come back later and try again....

PS: I always keep the Wi-fi off on my I-phone unless I need it, the last thing I need is some low life hacker getting a hold of my phone and messing with it :angry:

:2thumup:
Normally it will not give problems as it is just like a regular PC connecting to an accesspoint but since the MyWi app turns the iPhone into an accesspoint then there was some competition as to who was running the show in my network anyways totally understood on it being way too early to read the long winded post :whistle: You will have plenty of time later to read it :angry:
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:09 AM

I could not find MyWi in iTunes so I guess it's one of those apps that you need JB.

As I said before, this app can come in handy. For myself I like to keep it simple and use the method I originally posted on the Tips and Tricks just for my use. This method you do not need to JB. Unless I missed something. :king1:

Willy, go easy on TallJeep... good explanation. :bat:

Btw, it's a good thing you noticed the competition between the Wifis', there must be some way to keep your phone on and disable the application only when needed.
El Nińo

#20 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

View PostJim B, on Jul 9 2009, 08:09 AM, said:

Willy, go easy on TallJeep... good explanation. :king1:
:bat:

View PostJim B, on Jul 9 2009, 08:09 AM, said:

Btw, it's a good thing you noticed the competition between the Wifis', there must be some way to keep your phone on and disable the application only when needed.

Yea the app has an off button which is why I think it must be a bug. I will keep testing. This will come in handy for road trips where my daughter can have WiFi on her iPod Touch and wife can use het LapTop all while I drive.

But yes you are correct on needing the JB phone.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#21 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

Wow. I'm with talljeep. Too much info. No coffee. Eyes are still boogered. On the John. I will reply more later.
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

#22 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

ok, so i think this has something to do with a setting they havent fixed yet, i am with you Willy. at my job, i deploy laptops and broadband cards to users out in the feild. the laptop powers on, they stick they broadband care in the slot, boot up the app and they are online. they are done and put the laptop in standby mode, then they boot up again and try to use the broadband care. wont work. they have to reboot in order for windows to see the card. dont know why, just the way it is. i wonder if the same thing is happening here with the iPhone. this is not something that can be fixed through sprint, nor windows. just the way it is.

again, i wonder if this is the same issues. or maybe i am miss understanding what the issue is.
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

#23 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

anybody update the latest Iphone software version (3.0.1) yet ???

#24 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:14 PM

not yet but soon will. it fixes the SMS security levels. not sure if you have read about it. basically someone can send you a text and then control your phone without you knowing about it. not sure i believe what the news is saying.. come on.. its Apple. :good2:
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

#25 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:51 AM

on my Iphone i have a black screen set behind my app. icons i have seen other iIphones that have pictures , moving flames , designs etc

does anybody know how to do that , is it an app. that has to be loaded ? i have looked through all the settings etc .....cant figure it out , how do they make it do that . :good2:

#26 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

It's very simple. Shoot me an email and I will help ya out. Don't want to explain here cause of certain mods.
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

#27 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

This site should shed some light.. contact me for more details
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic