• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Drinking on the Trails?

#31 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:03 PM

man! i need a better job. i missed a good topic of discussion. i was copying quotes all the way down this topic. kind of hard to choose where to start. ill say this. you all are right. my off duty cops drink and ride right along side of me. doesn't make them bad people or good people, imo. some people cant hold their liquor, agreed. but that doesn't give the ones that can the right to drink on the trails. wait, what was that soflmuddin against drinking on the trail? i ain't stupid, its illegal, but its what "we" do. not really up for discussion. what i want to know is who is 96xj.....really?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#32 User is offline   HitMoney 

• First Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

View PostRollbar, on Jun 24 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

I would agree w/Dennis outside of a :cop: , he sees plenty of it and people convincing themselves they are the worlds best when they can't stand up. I'm sure Dennis can give out plenty of good pointers.

It did feel good that a customer came back after Easter Weekend this year to thank me for "Saving His Life" after I told him on Saturday night that if he drove away I would call the cops and give them his tag # and description.
Was alot of work, but in the end he got in a cab and went home.. I paid for the cab.

I am a firm believer in cleaning up the gene pool a little by suffering the consequences of your actions, but when it comes to drinking and driving it usually ends up costing innocent parties, whether that be a FUBARED day on the trail, or someone losing their life by a drunk on the highway it is rarely the drunk that suffers the worse.

Again, I don't think the OP wanted to defend drunk A$$ people on the trail.
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
[b]()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My Rig, HERE

#33 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

whats an "OP"?

whats an "OP"?

original post, original poster, oregon posser?
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#34 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:45 AM

View PostHitMoney, on Jun 24 2009, 07:51 PM, said:

Agreed with every word until the last part.. albeit I used to think that way that is until I almost got arrested for taking someone's keys and was looking at charges of theft, and false imprisonment. Yeah, that was a fun night in cuffs until a Sargent finally came to his senses and let me go.

I deal with this issue almost daily, probably more than a DUI task force does.

At the end of the day, I will say.. "Hey man, I think you've had enough and probably isn't a good idea to drive." and do what is in my power to discourage you from doing so... you go on from there and it is all you.

Some people just shouldn't drink.. at all. But I think the spirit of the discussion was about having a beer or 2 but all of us who know better and have experience with it know that more often than not it is not a good idea to even have that.

you must of had a senceless officer on your hands that night hitmoney , and i like to think i know alittle about the Law in all the time i vested in school and all and with what i do being
( State licenced Badge- gun the works ...head of security) at my company i deal with drunk and overly drunk people every night because we are a 24 / 7 company .... and i have taken the keys many many times , never , ever have i delt with an issue like that i dont think any :beer: in his right mind would look at some 1 and see they are impaired and give you lip i even blocked in a Captains BMW 1 morning with my jeep he called BSO and he was told good to bad Now go to your boat and go to sleep have a good day ,,,,.Later on in the day that same capt apologized to me and thanked me for acting like an A$$ ......i deal with Davie PD - BSO on a weekly Basis they have never said anything to me about it .
maybe because they know im just doin my job . even though im not an Policeofficer per say i do pocess just a few Authoritive abilities that they do .

if your impaired and gonna drive im takin your Keys count on that .and they will be returned when you wake up .and you will be told have a great day :cop:

#35 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:03 AM

in my younger days i drank, a lot. one night leaving a club i staggered out the door dropped my keys in front of the officers there(the florida city cops had nothing better to do back then, really). the one officer picked up my keys handed them to me :empathy:and said drive safe dan.
:drive2:
we used to drive the swamp buggy down the road and tip our beers :beer: to the officers driving by, they would just smile and wave. :beer: different world back then....... :good:

how about people that drink and post?:type:................... :cop:

#36 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:24 AM

View Postsoflmuddin, on Jun 25 2009, 06:03 AM, said:

in my younger days i drank, a lot. one night leaving a club i staggered out the door dropped my keys in front of the officers there(the florida city cops had nothing better to do back then, really). the one officer picked up my keys handed them to me :empathy:and said drive safe dan.
:drive2:
we used to drive the swamp buggy down the road and tip our beers :beer: to the officers driving by, they would just smile and wave. :beer: different world back then....... :good:

how about people that drink and post?:type:................... :cop:

Yeah yeah drinking and posting is ok all in all nobody wants to see anybody get hurt .

#37 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:06 AM

Wow :cop: This topic has took off like a wildfire in the middle of a drought!!!!!! Bottom line is we can banter back and forth about drinking on the trails and having other modifications done to our ORV's that are not legal and we would be comparing apples to oranges. In most legal places to ride your vehicle has to be registered and be ROAD LEGAL (Brakelights, tail lights, headlights, etc...) so if you are on a trail with a vehicle that's not, it's illegal but you won't be endangering yourself or others. Drinking to the point where the driver is impaired is Illegal ANYWHERE within the state. If you cause an accident which results in an injury you can be charged with DUI involving death or injuries under FL state statutes the same if you were on a paved road.

So, it's best that you don't drink and take the risk of not only being arrested but more importantly not injure or kill yourself or others.
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

#38 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:14 AM

agreed! so who wants to ride?

#39 User is offline   96xj 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

View Postsoflmuddin, on Jun 24 2009, 08:03 PM, said:

what i want to know is who is 96xj.....really?

:cop: but what is it that you want to know about me ?

#40 User is offline   MiamiMud86F250 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

i remember a time at bamboofest that i drove with a bottle of jack, which eventually became an empty bottle of jack... we covered all of a 1/4 mile driving but ill tell you what that was some of the most skilled driving ive had to do.... what trail do you pick if you see 4? lol jk but i must say having a drink off road is fine in my book. your out there to relax and have fun not get your panties in a bunch worrying about DUI's or if its really a fat chick in the passenger seat. we all have our groups we ride with most know how much we can tolerate and most will say hey man time to calm down on the drinking and have a coke... just my .02
If you wont stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.

Proud member of the US Army.

Visit HOMEGROWN-OFFROAD

#41 User is offline   ChuckieB 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:17 AM

I love my southern Comfort on ice, but I refuse to drink on any trail while driving my jeep! It's not that I don't do it because I'm afraid of having too much to drink and doing something stupid, that usually happens anyway on it's own. But I do look at all of the trials that keep getting closed and I just don't want to be the one that adds fuel to the fire of excuses that all of these environmentalist groups come up with to close them down. Don't get me wrong, when the engine is turned off, tent's up, camp fire is burning and my a$$ is stuck in the lawn chair chillin for the night you can bet there will either be a SOCO or a Miller Lite in my hand!!!

#42 User is offline   The Hunter 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

View Post96xj, on Jun 24 2009, 12:45 PM, said:

for real guys whats the point of having a guys day out on the trail without a couple of drinks , from the way it looks most of us on this site are of age (21)and beyond , so if you don't know how to handle a couple of drinks and fun at the same time being safe then they should not be riding with other people that's my opinion!!!

Would you go to a gun range with someone that was having a couple of drinks? The analogy is that both a firearm and a vehicle if used in incorrectly can cause serious bodily harm and possibly death. Any time one consumes alcohol one's judgment gets impaired and it varies from person to person and chemistry. Consuming on once of alcohol raises you blood alcohol level .02% for the average 140lbs. male. I do not want to be around someone who has any amount of alcohol in their system either in a vehicle, using a firearm, crossbow or any other potentially lethal object. If you want to consume alcohol and drive on the trails, I advise you to retain my firm for the possibility of defending you in a DUI and retain us to draft your will because either or both scenarios will occur, its just a matter of time. By the way, legal fees are far from being inexpensive. More importantly, one could hurt someone doing what you propose.
2007 Black JEEP Rubicon Unlimited four door. Pro Comp Stage 1 four inch lift; 35 inch tall Pro Comp Extreme Mud Terrains, Custom painted Riddler differential covers; axle vent tubes rerouted; 10,000 lbs Smittybuilt winch with wireless Roadless Gear winch remote; Rugged Ridge front Bumper, Uniden CB radio, Astatic power microphone and Wilson CB antenna.

#43 User is offline   MiamiMud86F250 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

so its settled.... you should only drink alchohol sitting in a room with padded walls... drinking it anywhere else is potentially dangerous

Visit HOMEGROWN-OFFROAD

#44 User is offline   96xj 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

View PostMiamiMud86F250, on Jun 25 2009, 03:37 PM, said:

so its settled.... you should only drink alchohol sitting in a room with padded walls... drinking it anywhere else is potentially dangerous

:cop: :beer:

#45 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

View PostMiamiMud86F250, on Jun 25 2009, 03:37 PM, said:

"very educated statement" and no one will get hurt.

So, have we come to the conclusion that we have beaten a dead horse yet :cop: :beer:

#46 User is offline   MiamiMud86F250 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

View PostBigBlock, on Jun 25 2009, 04:09 PM, said:

"very educated statement" and no one will get hurt.

So, have we come to the conclusion that we have beaten a dead horse yet :cop: :beer:

thank you, i try to find ways around the one sided arguements here

Visit HOMEGROWN-OFFROAD

#47 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Are you saying that you just like to be on the opposite side just for the heck of it and not stand up for what you believe illegal or not? I don't understand what you are trying to say? Seems like most of the people here don't like when others drink/drive on or off road and I guess we have come to this conclusion.

#48 User is offline   MiamiMud86F250 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

No... i mean whenever there is a two sided arguement you mods delete the side you dont like

Visit HOMEGROWN-OFFROAD

#49 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

I won't debate with you on that topic because you just might be mistaken, (I understand your frustration) but in my opinion that is past unless you want to resurrect it again, and if so, do it by PM like the guidelines state please.

#50 User is offline   MiamiMud86F250 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

what can you do... maybe if they would have a few drinks it would be much better

Visit HOMEGROWN-OFFROAD

#51 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

View PostMiamiMud86F250, on Jun 25 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

what can you do... maybe if they would have a few drinks it would be much better

Now that was funny, :biggrin1: :shock: :mouthzip1: you do mean while at camp, correct?

So am I clear that we have a consciences that drinking/driving is not good and we do not condone it on the trails when we ride or do I need to look into this more.

#52 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

lets say hypothetically i were to do some illegal riding. which would be worse in your book the illegal riding or the drinking? or is this a waste of time to even discuss as I'm usually doing both, hypothetically speaking of course.

#53 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

To answer a hypothetical question about drinking and driving, hypothetically, illegal is illegal.

#54 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

i like you, you make me laugh. :mouthzip1:

#55 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

View PostBigBlock, on Jun 25 2009, 05:25 PM, said:

To answer a hypothetical question about drinking and driving, hypothetically, illegal is illegal.

View Postsoflmuddin, on Jun 25 2009, 05:25 PM, said:

That's good but I won't take that as a sign of weakness :biggrin1: . Maybe one day when my boys and I are down that way (you never know) we will visit you and hypothetically wheel with you and your group and discuss this hypothetical illegal wheeling, drinking and driving. Hypothetically of course.

#56 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

of course, all are welcome to join, always have been. cant wait. bring jim with you, been trying to get him down here for a ride for a while. hypothetically speaking of course. its the mud that binds us!

#57 User is offline   offroadpete 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:45 PM

although extremely rare and most of you that know me can vouch on this, i do drink occasionally while trail riding. Ill be honest, i dont like people telling me that i should stop drinking but then again ive never gotten to that point. At no point is it OK to drink and drive, or operate any sorta heavy machinery. period. but again, it all comes down to personal opinions. I got friends that i'll wheel with that i know drink, but i know to what extent they drink. and then i got friends that drink that i just simply dont ride with. I dont tell em nothin about it, if they kill themselves its there own problem, and if anybody i know is killed by them its theyre own fault cuz they decided to ride with them. I aggree with dennis that it only takes one drunk to ruin the day. Shoot i can remember one case where a drunk a### flipped his rig and screwed us over for about 12 hours.. i dont ride with drunks, but if you wanna take a a beer or 2 and i know you can handle it then im cool with it. But you can bet ur a### if its the first time i meet you and i smell beer on ur breath you just made it onto my list of people not to ride with.
Check out HomegrownOffroad.com for all your offroad needs

Under Construction, estimated completion date, June '09

#58 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

View PostBigBlock, on Jun 25 2009, 04:42 PM, said:

Are you saying that you just like to be on the opposite side just for the heck of it and not stand up for what you believe illegal or not? I don't understand what you are trying to say? Seems like most of the people here don't like when others drink/drive on or off road and I guess we have come to this conclusion.

amazingly enough, ray and i think a lot alike (and i'm not proud of that :shock:). i like to play the devil's advocate on occassion...particularly in this forum. i believe what i believe and that rarely changes, no matter which side of a point i'm on. as you get to know more of the members, you'll learn that there are a lot of uneducated participants who like to jump on a bandwagon. even if they're on my side, an uneducated member is not one i want on my team. if they're an idiot and really aren't capable of defending a point that they run their mouth about, i might intelligently argue the other side...if nothing more than to envoke thought and stimulate some somewhat intelligent banter (granted, we only have but so much to work with over here). my freshman year in college, i was totally dumbfounded as to how my philosophy professor could argue emphatically that it was impossible for God to exist...and then i'd see him in church on sunday am. he caused me to think pretty hard. i likely learned more by thinking about his methodology than i did from his class. doing this with jimb usually fails...but, again...its what we have to work with. :biggrin1:

View Postsoflmuddin, on Jun 25 2009, 05:25 PM, said:

i've heard some people say some great things about ben. rumors are that he has a bad @$$ YJ with a big block. would love to see this!

all that's good...

-dave

#59 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Jun 25 2009, 07:15 PM, said:

i likely learned more by thinking about his methodology than i did from his class. doing this with jim b usually fails...but, again...its what we have to work with. :biggrin1:
-dave

Now no need to get personal here. Granted Jim owns this forum and can flip the switch at anytime and then you/we won't have anything to work with. :mouthzip1:

Anyway, I have read up to where I left off and then some, I must say, this little topic has broadened big time. I'm gonna stay out of it since I don't drink anyway (grew up doing construction work so I've been around the block) and others seem to be doing a fine job.

#60 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

View PostRollbar, on Jun 25 2009, 07:43 PM, said:

Now no need to get personal here. Granted Jim owns this forum and can flip the switch at anytime and then you/we won't have anything to work with. :biggrin1:

you know me better than that, rollbar. that wasn't a shot at jimb the owner of JT. i just needed an example and know he can take as much as he can dish. i was referring more to his intelligence. :mouthzip1: i hope my appreciation of JT nor JimB is questioned. goat ropers need love, too! (what landmark c&w tune does that lie in?)

-dave

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked