• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Drinking on the Trails?

#1 User is offline   96xj 

• Second Lieutenant
  • Group: Banned

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

for real guys whats the point of having a guys day out on the trail without a couple of drinks , from the way it looks most of us on this site are of age (21)and beyond , so if you don't know how to handle a couple of drinks and fun at the same time being safe then they should not be riding with other people that's my opinion!!!

#2 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

As far as I am concerned, no drinking on the trails. IMO, a real man can wait till they get to camp. Trails that are in National Parks, including Big Cypress, have no alcohol regs. The officers tend to overlook it when it is not blatently shoved in thier faces at camps. On thetrails, they tend to get real picky about it.
If you can't enjoy yourself 'wheeling, or anything else, w/o alcohol, then I think you need to find out why.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#3 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

View PostJeepinIan, on Jun 24 2009, 12:51 PM, said:

If you can't enjoy yourself 'wheeling, or anything else, w/o alcohol, then I think you need to find out why.

:whistle:

#4 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

For real guy's, they don't need to drink and drive on the trail :rof: .. No, really, most of the time responsible people can but when you have the few, the proud, the wanna bee's that can't handle it, that is where the problem starts. Anytime a group gets together you will have at least one that will mark the group (we all know what I am talking about) & IF it's a club function they are liable no matter what their by-laws state since they agreed to let said person on the ride and I bet there will be one club member in the court of law that will say, ya, we knew, he/she/they do it all the time. That is where most of the non-drinking rules come from, protection. We all know our boundaries as individuals and when JUST individuals get together nothing is really said. So we all understand WHY this statement is made and WHY are we beating a dead horse here. Plus, the laws say so.

#5 User is offline   Monster76 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

IMO Moderation is the key
89 YJ d44/d60 38" tsl's 4" springs front 4.5" XJ springs in rear HEAVY RIGHT FOOT 4.2 I6 5 spd sye w/custom shafts, some lights and ICE COLD A/C

#6 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

MOderation iw the key. The issuie I have is that some people do not know how to moderate. To say that 2 drinks is all a person can have, how does antyone know what 2 drinks is going to do to someone else?
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#7 User is offline   96xj 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

so because some people don't know how moderate there drinking, everyone get punished ?
how fair is that !!!

#8 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:02 PM

All these rules are set by YOUR State, no discussion, no debate, no starting crap on JT just to start crap. Clubs have rules and if you don't like them then don't join. No one is forcing you or any others to join a club, but if you do join, conform to their rules. It's simple.

#9 User is offline   TallJeep 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

View PostBigBlock, on Jun 24 2009, 03:02 PM, said:

All these rules are set by YOUR State, no discussion, no debate, no starting crap on JT just to start crap. Clubs have rules and if you don't like them then don't join. No one is forcing you or any others to join a club, but if you do join, conform to their rules. It's simple.

:rof:

#10 User is offline   96xj 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

1st off no one asked to join any club ,2nd dint tell me that there aint one person on this site or in any club that has a mod done to his or her truck that is not in compliance with D.O.T .

#11 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

View Post96xj, on Jun 24 2009, 03:14 PM, said:

1st off no one asked to join any club

Agreed. But if you wheel alone, do what you want. I think what JT members are referring to is a club setting but YOUR State laws prohibit you from drinking/driving so this is going no where. If you really want to test it, ask a cop to ride with you and you will get your answer.

,2nd dint tell me that there aint one person on this site or in any club that has a mod done to his or her truck that is not in compliance with D.O.T .

This has nothing to do with the topic.

Stay on topic!

Again, beating a dead horse and their is no point in keeping this topic open, it will only start peoples opinions and this will get out of hand.

#12 User is offline   96xj 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

View PostBigBlock, on Jun 24 2009, 03:20 PM, said:

Agreed. But if you wheel alone, do what you want. I think what JT members are referring to is a club setting but YOUR State laws prohibit you from drinking/driving so this is going no where. If you really want to test it, ask a cop to ride with you and you will get your answer.

Stay on topic!

Again, beating a dead horse and their is no point in keeping this topic open, it will only start peoples opinions and this will get out of hand.

a law is a law no matter how you look at it whether I'm drinking on a trail or if i have a hydraulic steering rack your breaking a law so if some one is going to reinforce law you need to reinforce them all

#13 User is offline   TranyDoctor 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

If you really want to test it, ask a cop to ride with you and you will get your answer.

:drive: :rof: :cop: :rof:

#14 User is offline   HitMoney 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

Stay on topic!

Dude, lighten up.. for real.

Its just a discussion about something.. on a forum...no one is actually out on the trail drinking at this moment.

I for one don't drink alot so you be hard pressed to find me drinking at camp let alone on the trail.

Yes.. most people know how to moderate themselves.. but all it takes in one drunk to ruin a day.. I deal with it daily. I can't imagine you would be making the wisest decisions on the trail while under the influence and when you are out on the trail your decisions affect other peoples experience.. that happens enough when everyone is stone sober let alone intoxicated.

And, if in a National Park.. well it is just about as legal as driving down the Turnpike sucking on a cold one.
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
[b]()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My Rig, HERE

#15 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

If you wish to discuss the LAW, please go to the section for LAW and ask specific questions. From what I am told by some, there are law enforcement officers on this forum. Direct your questions to them as they are the ones w/the LEGAL answers.

Topic Moved for further discussion in the LAW category.

#16 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

Topic moved & re-opened in the correct category.

Enjoy

#17 User is offline   BigBlock 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

Please continue with the topic or it will be closed since it is going off topic. If you really want to know, I have been PMing 96xj and everything is fine so please be concerned with the topic and not me.

#18 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

It's not a matter of whether we do it or not. It is illegal. I'm sure that more than one of you have seen me with a beer on a trail...particularly on private land. I have even talked to an officer on NPS property with an open container in the car. i didn't throw it in his face and after a long conversation he didn't seem to suspect intoxication or ask to look in my clearly visable cooler. there was no issue. You won't see me firing up arnold when i'm hammered and you won't see me bragging about the fact that i've done it...particularly on an open forum where every "tree hugger with a cause" can come and get ammo against the greater community. It's like a lot of things in life...do as you wish...just don't ruin it for the others. :rof:

-dave

Moderator Message

Topic Edited, removed video and comment.

#19 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

View PostHitMoney, on Jun 24 2009, 03:31 PM, said:

Yes.. most people know how to moderate themselves.. but all it takes in one drunk to ruin a day.. I deal with it daily. I can't imagine you would be making the wisest decisions on the trail while under the influence and when you are out on the trail your decisions affect other peoples experience.. that happens enough when everyone is stone sober let alone intoxicated.

And, if in a National Park.. well it is just about as legal as driving down the Turnpike sucking on a cold one.

Let me ad a few things, depending on the type of trails you are doing, even drinking while under control not only will impair you and place you in danger, but the sad thing will be if you hurt someone else under the so control drinking.

On another note people, this is a good learning discussion, please keep it as civil as possible so that the Moderators don't close it. I would like to actually read the supporting views for pro and cons and see if they actually make sense. I can tell you that I personally will not wheel with anyone that drinks on the trail.
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niño
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#20 User is offline   HitMoney 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Jun 24 2009, 04:33 PM, said:

It's not a matter of whether we do it or not. It is illegal. I'm sure that more than one of you have seen me with a beer on a trail...particularly on private land. I have even talked to an officer on NPS property with an open container in the car. i didn't throw it in his face and after a long conversation he didn't seem to suspect intoxication. there was no issue. You won't see me firing up arnold when i'm hammered and you won't see me bragging about the fact that i've done it...particularly on an open forum where every "tree hugger with a cause" can come and get ammo against the greater community. It's like a lot of things in life...do as you wish...just don't ruin it for the others. :drive:

-dave

Thats my point, do as you wish until it affects me and my experience....

BTW, I actually PROMOTE drinking at my events... inside at the bar of course... :rof:

But out on the trail, miles from anywhere the last thing I want to hear is.. "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
[b]()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My Rig, HERE

#21 User is offline   96xj 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

most of us on this site live in FL its flat here, i would not call anything a trail here more like a dirt road and unless your totally stupid its really hard to hurt some one besides yourself and who ever organizes the trip should be the to moderate the stupid ones that cant handle then self's on or off road with or with out a drink

#22 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

View PostHitMoney, on Jun 24 2009, 04:38 PM, said:

But out on the trail, miles from anywhere the last thing I want to hear is.. "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

Very good point Dennis

View Post96xj, on Jun 24 2009, 04:45 PM, said:

most of us on this site live in FL its flat here, i would not call anything a trail here more like a dirt road and unless your totally stupid its really hard to hurt some one besides yourself and who ever organizes the trip should be the to moderate the stupid ones that cant handle then self's on or off road with or with out a drink

96XJ, some of the places we wheel in Northern Fla aren't flat & I live by two or three WMA. When it don't rain it is dusty and can't see if you R not in the front of the pack, and when it does rain it is slippery like N.C. clay. We have had some almost go over and I almost did as well (no drinking, just stupidity). Fla can be dangerous. I remember hunting out @ Bear Island (grew up in South fla) and going down Turner river road and there was a wash out, oops. It took all I had to keep it straight and I haven't even gotten to the camp yet to pop a top (way back when I use to drink). I guess there are places to do it and places not to as discussed. I guess a pro/con discussion might help but in the end the law is the law. Hummmmm, maybe we are all over 21 and can make up our own minds but when my kids were little, no drink/ no drive even when putting out in the woods. Oh, we use to own houses in N.C. & as you can see by my screen name we shouldn't drink/drive. :rof:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#23 User is offline   HitMoney 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

View Post96xj, on Jun 24 2009, 04:45 PM, said:

sorry man.. but that dog doesn't hunt with me...

First, who wants to be the babysitter and make sure everyone drinks in "Moderation"... ?

It doesn't take hills, rocks, or cliffs to get hurt or hurt someone... I've seen some pretty scary deep mud recoveries that were done unsafely with everyone sober.

It really is common sense here.. 96xj... you may be totaly capable of only having a couple and not getting out of hand... its the other people I worry about. I cringe when someone in my group I don't know cracks open a drink because who knows.... he could cost me my whole day because his drunk a### hurt someone, himself, or his rig.

That being said, if someone I know cracks open a cold one and I know he isn't going to be a problem, I am not going to play Mr. Policeman and go and tell him to stop... that is now between him/her and the law.

Personal responsibility, it works.. when it doesn't.. mob rule. :rof:
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
[b]()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My Rig, HERE

#24 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

View PostHitMoney, on Jun 24 2009, 05:02 PM, said:

Personal responsibility, it works.. when it doesn't.. mob rule. :rof:

Hey, we posted 2 the same time.

#25 User is offline   HitMoney 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

View PostRollbar, on Jun 24 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

Hey, we posted 2 the same time.

Yeah, I'm not into telling people what to do and what not to do.. and I don't like being told either.... but at the same time if you mess up my day you reap the consequences of that too as I would expect to happen to me if I F'd up.

It's the Libertarian in me I guess.

:rof:
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
[b]()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My Rig, HERE

#26 User is offline   96xj 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

View PostHitMoney, on Jun 24 2009, 05:08 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm not into telling people what to do and what not to do.. and I don't like being told either.... but at the same time if you mess up my day you reap the consequences of that too as I would expect to happen to me if I F'd up.

It's the Libertarian in me I guess.

:drive:

:bat: :rof: :cop: :rof:

#27 User is offline   HitMoney 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

View Post96xj, on Jun 24 2009, 05:14 PM, said:

:bat: :rof: :cop: :rof:

Yeah, well the world needs some sane people in it to keep the rest of you yahoo Dems and Pubs at bay!

:drive:

ItsAllGood... I will have a drink with you anytime... at the bar... I'll even buy ya one!
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
[b]()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My Rig, HERE

#28 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

after reading through this discussion basically about Drinking and driving which is

A. Illegeal

B. flat out stupid

c. i do have a few now and then but you know alcohol and a 3200 - 3800 pd. vehicle just doesnt Mix .

We just lost a guy at work due to Drinking and driving and he is Dead now yes it was on the highway but if you Drink and drive your just flat asking for it .

off road you deal with obsticales , rocks , water , winches . tow straps . the ever present chance of rolling over etc , and that machine your operating weather it be a jeep , buggy , ATV, whatever that machine has NO Problems with
>>>>>>>>>> KILLING YOU <<<<<<<<<<<<<
and wont think twice about it .

plain and simple Dead is dead end of story , impaired judgement on road or off makes no sence why would you invite disaster into and enjoyable afternoon ???? :rof:

do your self a favor leave the alcohol at camp and when you had your afternoon of wheelin , and your back and out of the vehicle and the Keys are put away ....enjoy your Drink .

point is there is a time and place for everything . and a beer in your hand behind the wheel of a 3000 pd. plus vehicle isnt it .

Hasnt alcohol Mamed & Killed enough people ???????????????

heres alittle food for thought : take a look at some of the rollover videos on this tread like the 1 in the video section ...imagine being drunk and rollin like that ...????
ohhhh yeah that would be cool huh ??? imagine pins stickin out of your legs ,,,,layed up in a hospital ,,,???? oooohhhhh yeah ...wires stickin out of you cause your skull was fractured cause you were so loaded you forgot your seat belt ...
or best of all your wife and kids and friends leanin over ya in a ( BOX ) ............all because you
thought you just had to be what you thought a Real guy was ..................

Note : Bro a real guy wouldnt let you drink and drive he would take your keys because maybe just maybe he would like to wheel with ya again ..

#29 User is offline   HitMoney 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

Agreed with every word until the last part.. albeit I used to think that way that is until I almost got arrested for taking someone's keys and was looking at charges of theft, and false imprisonment. Yeah, that was a fun night in cuffs until a Sargent finally came to his senses and let me go.

I deal with this issue almost daily, probably more than a DUI task force does.

At the end of the day, I will say.. "Hey man, I think you've had enough and probably isn't a good idea to drive." and do what is in my power to discourage you from doing so... you go on from there and it is all you.

Some people just shouldn't drink.. at all. But I think the spirit of the discussion was about having a beer or 2 but all of us who know better and have experience with it know that more often than not it is not a good idea to even have that.
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
[b]()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My Rig, HERE

#30 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

I would agree w/Dennis outside of a :rof: , he sees plenty of it and people convincing themselves they are the worlds best when they can't stand up. I'm sure Dennis can give out plenty of good pointers.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked