Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ARB/Hubs/Axles Front Axle Diff Air Leak

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 28 June 2003 - 04:31 PM

Well after almost 3 years I finally have developed a leak in my front ARB. Checked everywhere and the only place I can hear the air leak is from the inside of the vent tube connected to the diff housing. :tongue1:

I believe it is one of the Orings that finally went. I think there are two orings and a U ring. Since this will be my first time doing this would appreciate some feedback from someone who has done this before (which oring is it most likely to be?). How about step by step feedback after I have removed both inner axle shafts, and diff cover off. :)
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 29 June 2003 - 02:56 PM

One way to fix it is to go w/ the OX. :)

Just kidding Jim, :sneak:
I'll be watching this post closely. :tongue1:

Have A Good One!
RollBar :jump:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:30 PM

rollbar, on Jun 29 2003, 04:56 PM, said:

One way to fix it is to go w/ the OX.   :)
Just kidding Jim,  :sneak:

Hey Rollbar, good advise! :keyfoot: :tongue1: Too bad the D60 Oxs were not around then. :beer:

Have not heard from anyone and all the searches I've found has to do with the correct way to install them. I've spoken to a few that have done them and everyone tells me a different story. :amazed:

I guess what I'll do is call ARB tomorrow, get the right parts and hopefully some indication as to which oring it could be.

Arb can also take potshots and will probably say it's not the Uring way deep into the carrier. Not sure it the D60 has the U ring though, I'll find out tomorrow. It would really suck if after I put it all together to have to take it all apart again, if it did have a Uring. :ranting: I might just replace all of them even if they say that it is unlikely that the Uring would be the problem.

Maybe I'll take some pics and do a small step by step for others that might have to do this in the future. :gossip:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#4 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 30 June 2003 - 05:45 PM

Well... opened the diff cover today and it does not look like it is the two outside orings. :amazed: It sounds like it's coming from the center of the carrier which leads me to believe it is the Uring. :ranting: :no:

This means that I will be taking the carrier apart to get at it. :gossip: Called ARB today and ordered the parts. I will remove the axles and carrier in the next few days. :beer:

Oil was brown :tongue1:, looks like a mix of Arizona water (I remember going through a deep section), and a little mud must have worked it's way in. I had just changed the oil. I guess things happen for a reason. :weep: :weep: :weep: :weep:

Will probably change out the inner axle diff seals and remove the hat on the vent tube so it can breath better with less back pressure. Anyone ever do this? :)
El Niņo

#5 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 06 July 2003 - 07:28 AM

The story continues.

I figured out why my oil was brown. It was not because I got water in after I changed oil when I did have water. It was because I did not blow out the top chamber from the old oil which mixed in with the new one. :cry:

Dynatrac axles come with a top oiling chamber to get oil to the pinion, the way it works is that you fill the bottom chamber, than fill the top till it drains out the bottom hole. Oil will mix as you run but you can never get it all out. This weekend I blew air on the top chamber and more brown oil came out the bottom. I'm going to have to fill the top with some cheap gear oil and blow it out a couple of times till I get it all. :amazed:

After having no oil in the diff for a few days, I decided to try the arb one more time before I pull the carrier. Sure enough it, it is working perfectly again. Must have had some type of grime that worked itself out. I'm now debating whether to go through all the hassle of taking the carrier apart or leave it as it is since it is working. Might be playing Russian Roulette if I don't brake it open. Decisions, decisions.

Opened both hubs and found water and surface rust all over, this does not travel to the diff since it has no connection back. I guess I'm going to have to pop these covers out more often, especially if I run in water or slight mud to the hubs. :cry:

Decided to remove both axles and found out that the inner long side has wavy splines. Looked at the axle splines closely, they were cut from factory and not rolled which is stronger. :cry: I will be calling Dynatrac on Monday. Will also call Arb to see if I should leave the locker alone since it's working now or to go ahead and change out the inner uring. I'm under the believe to leave things alone if they are working but I could be wrong here. Any suggestions? :roll:
El Niņo

#6 User is offline   TJRon 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 July 2003 - 09:21 AM

Yep.
Take it apart if for nothing more than the experience. You know you want to.
Just do it. Then you can be an ARB know it all. :D

#7 User is offline   Tracy 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 08 July 2003 - 09:09 AM

:( Geez
Red Beetle

#8 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:21 PM

Well, after speaking with Arb I've decided to leave well enough alone and do not take apart the carrier. Will test very heavily once it's all put together. :cry:

I have a job in cleaning out the hub assembly from some rust. I'm also going to put in my spare good long inner shaft and carry the present one with slight wavy spline as a back up. Dynatrac advised that this is not a big deal and I could actually run like this.... hmmmmmm, I wonder how long I been running like this. :roll:

I actually looked into getting a new shaft with rolled splines instead of cut. I found out that 35 spline custom length axle shafts are too expensive to tool up for rolled splines and this is why no one makes it. So boys and girls, if you have a custom length axle that is 35 spline and are looking for rolled splines your just going to have to settle. :weep:

I noticed that my ring gear and a few other parts had slight surface rust on the top half. Reason for this is probably because nothing moves inside the diff since my hubs are unlocked. I only really wheel 4 times a year and the rest of the time when I drive to meetings and get togethers' around town, the front axle is not turning or doing nothing. :amazed:

I plan to leave my front hubs locked so that the little that I do take the jeep out, I get movement of oil all throughout the parts of the diff. I don't want anymore surface rust building up due to the moisture in Florida air. Just a word of advise from those of you with hubs that keep them unlocked most of the time. :icecream:
El Niņo

#9 User is offline   TJRon 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 July 2003 - 02:42 PM

How do you suppose you could get water in your diff? Posing for pictures like this maybe? Bwaahaha!
Posted Image

That was some fun trip! We're leaving tomorow to do some more Rocky Mountains. Wish you were there!

#10 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 08 July 2003 - 03:09 PM

You Sir are a wicked person. :tdown:

And don't go telling me about you leaving tomorrow for the Rockies. :cry:

Say hello to all the good guys for me when you get up there. :roll:

Things will be back to normal around here now that you'll be gone for a while. :amazed: :cry:
El Niņo

#11 User is offline   Tracy 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:32 PM

Bye Ron Have fun.... :jump:
Red Beetle

#12 User is offline   John 

• Major
  • Group: Member

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:12 PM

Well, I am back from CAMP JEEP and some wheeling with Mike and Alan at a neat trail near Crabtree falls. We crossed one stream about 5 times ON THE SAME TRAIL. Hope I didnt get water in as JUST changed the fluid before the trip when Ruben installed my new PROGRESSIVE side gears in the OX lockers. I had a chance to REALLY give them a test on one obstacle. I was SMOKING my tires. OX performed beautifully, no popping whatsoever, so I think those days ARE OVER. Only one mishap, gouged a nearly new tire so bad I have to replace it (although still going to be a spare). Next two weeks are gonna be REALLY busy, spent all this time cleaning and touching up (underneath) my jeep now its installation of new JEEPERMAN rear swingaway tire carrier/bumper/dual gas can holders and RACK. (Gawd I am looking forward to that rack as jeep has been really crowded on these trips). I FINALLY got my CHROM MOLY ROLLED D30 axles coming in from DTD. Should arrive this Monday. John

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic