JEEPTALK.net: Legal Exhaust Routing - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1

Legal Exhaust Routing

#1 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

I was browsing a forum today and someone mentioned (from Michigan) a :2: told them that his exhaust needed to be ran as factory out the back instead of the sides. Can anyone verify this for Florida or for all the States? I need to fab up mine at some point after the move.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#2 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:37 PM

View PostRollbar, on May 21 2009, 03:56 PM, said:

I was browsing a forum today and someone mentioned (from Michigan) a :2: told them that his exhaust needed to be ran as factory out the back instead of the sides. Can anyone verify this for Florida or for all the States? I need to fab up mine at some point after the move.

Off hand I think the only FL laws about exhaust is the loudness and that it has to extend out past the body of vehicle, no specifics on where. It also can't produce smoke for more than five seconds. I'll check into it though and get back with U.
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

#3 User is offline   logandzwon 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

I got a ticket under this section 403.415 8a, though that was a difference vehicle. I spend about 3K making sure I had a quite, but high flowing tuned exhaust. Cop didn't like the look of the car so out comes the ticket;

(a) No person shall sell or offer for sale for use as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle any exhaust muffler, intake muffler, or other noise abatement device which, when installed, will permit the vehicle to be operated in a manner that the emitted sound level of the vehicle is increased above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured and determined by the test procedures for new motor vehicle sound levels established under this section.

After that I stopped worrying exhaust laws. If they don't like your Jeep and want to ticket you they can and will.
Black 04 TJ Rubi, Snorkel, winch, lift - R.I.P.
Currently I just have a bunch of parts I'm trying to make into a Jeep.

#4 User is offline   sgt1022 

• Second Lieutenant

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

under that rule everyone who has an aftermarket exhaust system, no matter the vehicle, is totally illegal.

#5 User is offline   logandzwon 

• Sergeant Major

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:36 PM

View Postsgt1022, on May 28 2009, 07:50 PM, said:

under that rule everyone who has an aftermarket exhaust system, no matter the vehicle, is totally illegal.

Pretty much. However, it's just a pay-me ticket. no inspection, no point, just send a check.
Black 04 TJ Rubi, Snorkel, winch, lift - R.I.P.
Currently I just have a bunch of parts I'm trying to make into a Jeep.

#6 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

View PostRollbar, on May 21 2009, 02:56 PM, said:

I was browsing a forum today and someone mentioned (from Michigan) a :lol: told them that his exhaust needed to be ran as factory out the back instead of the sides. Can anyone verify this for Florida or for all the States? I need to fab up mine at some point after the move.

My XJ factory exhaust doesn't come out past the body. It ends just behind the bumper but pointing at a downward angle.

#7 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

so most of you are riding around illegally? :lol:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#8 User is offline   Wildbill 

• Major

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

View Postlogandzwon, on May 28 2009, 10:36 PM, said:

Pretty much. However, it's just a pay-me ticket. no inspection, no point, just send a check.

Well it might seem like that and admittedly I know there are law enforcement officers out there that are A$$holes. But if you re-read this part closely...... "will permit the vehicle to be operated in a manner that the emitted sound level of the vehicle is increased above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured and determined by the test procedures for new motor vehicle sound levels established under this section.

If the officer didn't have a decibel meter with him at the time of the traffic stop and a chart showing the manufacturer's levels then he shouldn't be issuing a citation. If he does, then you need to take him to court and make him show the Judge how he established the noise levels. I doubt his ears are calibrated for decibels levels. :lol:
Yale H.
Port Charlotte, FL

1992 YJ 4.0 HO
2" BL, 4" R/C Susp. Lift...plus a couple extra stock leafs
Aussie Lockers Frt & Rear
33 x 12.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
2004 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4X4
stock for now!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply