Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Wave of Evil Spam

#1 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

they are the lowest of the low. as i come on this morning i see near 30 spam posts. as i speak im sure ian is deleting the posts and banning this nikecnshoes. whats your thoughts on these spammers?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#2 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:04 AM

View Postsoflmuddin, on Apr 27 2009, 06:56 AM, said:

they are the lowest of the low. as i come on this morning i see near 30 spam posts. as i speak im sure ian is deleting the posts and banning this nikecnshoes. whats your thoughts on these spammers?

Justified---Shoot him---never again will I buy from Nike!!!

#3 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

Since forums do so well against Robots that try to register they have now hired HUMANS for a $.01 an entry. Once the Human registers on a forum they turn loose the Robot to post. The only way to stop it right now is to catch them right away. Moderators and Administrators try and catch as fast as possible. They come during at all hours.

Currently there is no way to stop a HUMAN registration. Otherwise normal people would not be able to register.
Any Forum that has any type of traffic activity is now being attacked.

In addition to posting they also try to Mass PM with a Robot once the Human registers. Administrators and Moderators do not have access to PMs or email here on JeepTalk. We can only see statistics of how many are going out.

We appreciate if JeepTalk Members get a PM or Email from a Spammer to please report this soon. If you see a Spam Post please use the "Report" tab of the post. By doing this it will go to each Moderator and Administrator, we then delete and Ban.

Here is a report from USA Today:
Cybergangs use cheap labor to break codes on social sites.

We are in the process of looking at this now but there is not much you can do to stop a live Human unless you want to lock down the entire board.

Admin

#4 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

I personally think that you 'admin' guys do a great job of keeping this site up and trouble free.!!!

joe
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
DAYTONA BEER POLICE MEMBER #6
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.
'04Liberty--3.7L, auto, 4x4

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

Trust me, if it was not for the Moderators as well, we could not continue to maintain the way it is now.
Thank you for your support.

I received a PM from a Member stating that why don't we go to Administrator approval on every registration. We can do this but the Member registering could actually take up to 48 hours before an Administrator may get to it. Usually it's quick but it could take a great deal of time to go through it depending on how many and how busy. We rather not go to this right now unless it really gets out of hand.

We are now looking into other possibilities. Nothing is full proof, especially with Human registrations, all we can do is maybe slow it down. Since their robots were being stopped the only way out for Spammers is to go Human and this is what they are doing.

We are really depending on all the Moderators (act upon) and Members to report this as soon as they see it.

NOTE: If you see one of the Topics and Posting. DO NOT click on any of the URL links posted.
There is a strong possibility that you will harm your local computer.

Admin

#6 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

with few exceptions, i think the moderators do a great job. if you need any more help from a moderation standpoint, feel free to call upon me. :banned:

-dave

#7 User is offline   Sky6 

• Colonel

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

One way to help may be to send an email to the applicant with the password inside and requiring a reply. AFAIK it takes a human to read and respond.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken
DAYTONA BEER POLICE MEMBER #6
'03 TJ-- 4" SkyJacker, OX lockers, D-Super35, 4.56 gears, Warn 9.5ti winch, Grant 4x4 rock rear bumper and tire carrier, 33x12.5x15 M/T, 15x10 steel rims, QuickAir2, A to Z Fabrication Rock Guards, KC lites, TrailDoors, Bushwacker 6" flares. Rock Hard Roll cage.
'04Liberty--3.7L, auto, 4x4

JoePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

This is pretty much what we have now (respond to email or write the code on the browser) plus other things that we cannot disclose in public to stop the Robots and people trying to registered more than once. Once you do this we have confirmed all your information and if we want to, we can track you. So far we have been good and continue to do so. Yes sometimes there are ways, but if we dedicate the time we can find them.

The problem is the Human registrations going on now, once they are in they are in. They will then run a script to create a topic in forums or PM Members.

We have configured not to show any email addresses of Members from day one (2003) of Jeep Talk. If you want to send an email instead of a PM to a user, you will only see an entry form. The recipient will see the sender email address when they receive it and can then respond privately.

Admin

#9 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

I also think you Mods and Admin do a great job.
Nike was caught and deleted quite fast.
I say we boycot any company that feels the need to drum up business by spamming.
I for one will never buy a Nike product again.
Hit them where it hurts, the loss of profit will either smarten them up or put them out of business.

#10 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

we have had a few on the homegrown offroad forum. they usually last no longer than a few minutes before one of us remove them. i just cant believe that people think that that kind of advertising works. that would be like purposely diving into some body's car and then handing them you body shop business card. let me annoy you then sell you something.

x2 on the lord being a moderator. i think i suggested that once before somewhere :2thumup: .
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic