Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Auto Resizing of Pics

#1 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:13 PM

i mess around on this forum called wheelindixie.com. i really like this feature that they have where when you post a pic it is automatically resized if it is not the right size. then you can click on the bar above the pic if you wish to see the full image. check it out..........http://www.wheelindixie.com/forums/showpos...mp;postcount=17

i have had pictures removed from the forum because i either accidentally saved them the wrong size or i grabbed it off another forum that allows larger pics. i am not a computer guy so i don't know what is involved for this to happen. only throwing the idea out there.

please mods and admin, not arrogant comments about my suggestion. if you don't like the idea just move past it. thank you in advance.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#2 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

I might be wrong but I thought I saw or read something just the past day or two that this feature has been added.

#3 User is offline   soflmuddin 

• Captain
  • Group: Banned

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

lets see.......

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/G...ne/100_1252.jpg
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
.................97 s-10....................................79 cj-5........................................03 wj......................................67 cj5...................................87 samurai..........

#4 User is offline   Wardie 

• Major

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

I'm wrong again--would like to see this feature added!

#5 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

We were thinking of adding a BBcode to do this. Most people will not use it, example our youtube BBcode feature. Even though we have it, we wind up editing all the time. It will be easier to upload the correct size than for people to learn another extra step when they see that their picture is too big to use the BBcode. They would rather leave it big and create more work for the Moderators.

We have another option to resize the photo being posted, the problem comes in when we tell it to resize a percentage and the Members that actually post the correct size will show even smaller. The reason this happens is that we can not tell the size the picture is at the remotes site.

The one you suggested is way too big to begin with and we would have to special code the forum software and deal with this every time there is an update driving up cost.

It is very simple for people just to remember and post correctly. Most free hosting sites that have been suggested allow and resize automatically when you upload the picture. If someone can not remember to do this and they choose the wrong size we can not help it. What you are asking us to do is cover for someone's mistake. All we ask is... be responsible and learn. There are few who post that do not bother to read or learn how to do this simple procedure.

We do not want JeepTalk's interface all over the place by having large posted pictures. We have seen other forums and how bad their interface looks when this is allowed.

We thank you for your suggestion but we will keep things as they are for now and ask everyone to be a little bit more aware.

Admin

#6 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:58 PM

I have a question.

If someone buys a gallery and when they upload their picture will it automatically resize like some other VPS hosting galleries I know of ?

#7 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

View PostRollbar, on Apr 20 2009, 11:58 PM, said:

I have a question.

If someone buys a gallery and when they upload their picture will it automatically resize like some other VPS hosting galleries I know of ?

Yes, our Premium Member JeepTalk Gallery resizes automatically and creates both a 640x and 800x just like the few private Galleries that some Members also have.

Admin

#8 User is offline   92SquareEye 

• Colonel
  • View gallery

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

View PostAdmin, on Apr 21 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

Yes, our Premium Member JeepTalk Gallery resizes automatically and creates both a 640x and 800x just like the few private Galleries that some Members also have.

Admin

just a little confusing here. on upload, it creates both a 640x AND a 800x?? How are these images stored and how would i access them? i thought it only did the 640x. is this a user controlled preference? thanks.

-dave

#9 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

View PostLrdJeffson, on Apr 21 2009, 08:03 AM, said:

just a little confusing here. on upload, it creates both a 640x AND a 800x?? How are these images stored and how would i access them? i thought it only did the 640x. is this a user controlled preference? thanks.

-dave

With regards to the JeepTalk Gallery;

If you upload a very large picture of 1024 or higher (which many do), your JT Gallery will take this picture automatically in the background, create an 800x and a 600x, and gets rid of the larger you uploaded to save on your space. It does not mess with the original on your computer.

When you visit this picture by clicking on the thumbnail, it will show at 600x and this is the one you should use for posting in topics. If you hover over the 600x picture, you will see the cursor turn to a hand, if you see the hand, click on it. A very nice light box will open with the larger picture. When you don't see a hand when hovering over the picture, it means it was uploaded at 600x and there is no bigger size. There is an advantage in uploading just a 600x from the Member point of view, saves on space on that account.

Here is an example of one:
http://jeeptalk.net/index.php?autocom=gall...si&img=1966

I would use the larger 800x upload for pictures that look exceptional.

Pictures on the server can not be access directly for security. You can access both the 600x and the 800x by right click on top of the picture and do a "save as". When a JT Member deletes a picture from their Gallery, it deletes it also from their partitioned space.

Admin

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic