Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bellsouth.net Blocking

#1 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

It has been discovered by a few that have Bellsouth ISP for their Internet service that... (Since Bellsouth merged with AT&T)

Some you might not be getting notifications from PM, emails, notification when someone replies to a post or even someone writes to you privately from another domain to a bellsouth email address.

The Bellsouth recipient will not get these emails depending on what criteria AT&T decides to block at random with no cause. We know for a fact that they are now blocking most forums (maybe not all) that constantly send out notifications to the user with the Bellsouth. net address for PMs, etc. Even though the forum is private and does not spam.

Read below, at the end we provide a few solutions on how to deal with this if you are a Bellsouth customer.

NOTE: Thanks to Ben Totanes for pointing out that this now also applies to all AT&T (att.net) accounts and sbcglobal.net accounts.
He states below:
I've thought about this a great deal, and I think my initial concerns have proven true. Taking two companies who were neck and neck in the race for nations worst tech support and merging them was a very bad idea. This became even more apparent as I was troubleshooting an issue where one of our clients was unable to send email to a specific domain (AT&T's Bellsouth.net domain).

One of our clients recently noticed their messages to BellSouth.net were being delayed and then they received an NDR. The error messages they received looked like: "This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server."

There are a few steps you can take to greatly expedite the troubleshooting process:

1)If you are blocked, send an email to:
bellsouth_unblock@abuse-att.net

a. List all Originating domains. Example: jeeptalk.net, harry.com, forte.com, etc.
Tell them that you are not gettting emails from them and they should open this up, it was working before and now it is not.
b. IP Address of mail server: if known
e. Contact Email: If Possible
f. Time issue was first noticed:
g. Error received: If you actually get the email

This issue took far more time to troubleshoot than it should have due to the obscure/misleading NDR message from Bellsouth.
I'm hoping that by posting this I might save a few people a bit of time.

Now for some solutions:

1. Call your Bellsouth.net and have them start a ticket, tell them to give you the ticket number.

2. Write and email from your bellsouth.net address to:
abuse_rbl@abuse-att.net 
postmaster@bellsouth.net 
postmaster@att.net 
postmaster@abuse-att.net

Sample Email:

Dear Sir,

I am a Bellsouth DSL customer.

You are blocking incoming emails from people that I do business with and I depend on receiving personal emails. Please stop blocking these domains at once.
I've contacted your support department and have a ticket number #999999999

The domains that are being blocked and that I need to receive email from are:
xyz.com
stick.com
etc.com
andsoforth.com

I have sent copies of this email to the following email addresses:
abuse_rbl@abuse-att.net 
postmaster@bellsouth.net 
postmaster@att.net 
postmaster@abuse-att.net

Please contact me at once:
Your Name
Contact phone numbers

You may look at my Bellsouth accounts, I've had service with you a long time and do not wish to cancel.

Thank you,
Your Name

If anyone on JeepTalk is having problems in receiving emails from our domain or from others that have a different domain let us know on what you have done and when Bellsouth finally solves your problem.

Admin

#2 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

Thanks, I was wondering why some e-mails were getting kicked back from some BS friends.

#3 User is offline   Smokey 

• Captain
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

Thats good to know because I thought I wasn't getting email messages from JT. The hard part is figuring out which domains are being blocked and which ones I am not getting email notifications from so I can notify Bellsouth. I'll keep my eyes open and thanks for the heads up.
Help A Fellow Jeeper Out!
Jake Info Donations To Assist Show Your Support
SFJC and 50/50 Offroad Team

#4 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

View PostSmokey, on Apr 12 2009, 05:30 PM, said:

Thats good to know because I thought I wasn't getting email messages from JT. The hard part is figuring out which domains are being blocked and which ones I am not getting email notifications from so I can notify Bellsouth. I'll keep my eyes open and thanks for the heads up.

I suggest that you at least write the email with jeeptalk.net on it if it happens to be the only one you know of now. We have read that there are many others and it will be hard to know unless someone tells you that they sent you an email and you confirm in not receiving it. At that time write them another email with the new domain and do that each time.

We can not believe that they are doing this to a lot of their customers and most are not even realizing it. The only way if for customers and people to start emailing them so they can finally get off their behinds and make it work like everyone else. This started to happen around a week ago.

Admin

#5 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

There is a work around solution (until bellsouth fixes your problem) for those that have a bellsouth.net email address here on JeepTalk, other forums, or while not receiving private email from someone you know.

Open a Gmail or Yahoo free account. Use that email address. Under the settings have all your mail forwarded to your bellsouth.net account if you wish. People having service with private domain hosting or using private company email, etc don't have this problem. Not sure if this will work on the forward as bellsouth could also be blocking the relay from gmail or yahoo.

Many have bellsouth service but do not use their bellsouth email. In fact, Yahoo is now running their web interface for them.

Again, contact your bellsouth provider and complain as was suggested on the first post.

Admin

#6 User is offline   Admin 

• Commander In Chief

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

We submitted a report to Bellsouth.net on behalf of other bellsouth customers reporting this issue. It looks like they have opened up JeepTalk. They could not speak for other customers of bellsouth in not receiving form other parties privately.

I suggest someone on JeepTalk to PM someone with a registered bellsouth.net email address on here and see if you receiving the notification from the JeepTalk board. We still suggest that if you have bellsouth to write the email and open a ticket with them and list any other domains that you might not be receiving. Only you can do that as it is your service. It's not a matter of white listing because it is on their server end.

If anyone does the testing of the PMs please post here if you are getting notifications as well as topic tracking notifications.

Admin

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic