• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paint Applications 101 ask your paint questions here

#61 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

:puke: I just fell out of my chair.

I tend to do @ least three coats inner/outer if not more. I was hoping to have some left & pumped into a spray can to carry on the trail :blowup: :)

P.S. How long should I wait between coats an hour w/the sun beating on it

#62 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

the T/J im doing this weekend is getting 2 full coats , mixed at 8-1-2 that gives me alittle over 3 qts. mixed product out of 2qts . with the hard top thats a 2 coat finish also of semi-gloss matt black finish thats a 1qt. mix .

the plan is .( hardtop first ) ... im starting prep tomarrow night .... 1 cover the jeep with painters sheet plastic prep the tops ...wash it down with T115 all purpose prep-sol cleaner , then spray on 2 coats and allow to dry over night .

day 2 : saturday : do body repairs prep exterior body spot prime as needed .

day 3 : sunday : do final prep and washdown exterior body ..move jeep over to spray booth , finish covering remaining items wet rag entire exterior and tack rag .
and spray it .allow to dry over night

monday morning 3:00am untape the jeep move it out in the morning sun and deliver .

Note : Rollbar heres a tip take a clean wet rag and wipe over your surface parts and see if anything reacts ....if the water doesnt the paint wont .

#63 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Thank you. I'll post some pics after I shoot it. I'm sure my son will take some action pics as well.
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#64 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

i got my camera loaded in my bag ...to take pics also

#65 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

OK, complete but I forgot the doors and dash :whistle: Oh well there is always next week :whistle:

Go here for more pics (post number 111) --> http://jeeptalk.net/index.php?showtopic=44...mp;#entry116871

Painting tub
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Waiting second coat-this stuff drys fast in this heat so I waited about 30min
Posted Image

Posted Image

Applying second heavy coat
Posted Image

Tailgate latches OD
Posted Image

Final paint now drying
Posted Image

Installing rock guards later so they will hide the damaged spots & I fill /soaked them w/POR-15
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Roll bar foot sprayed w/U-POL to blend in w/the bed-liner
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Underside of hood, note the black accents w/POR-15
Posted Image

Look at that sweet CJ grill, just as happy as can be
Posted Image

P.S. Skinner, thank you for all your help I couldn't have done it w/out you and Daves help

#66 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

looks great roll bar nice job ....... :1thumb: i would sorta like to smak you for leaving those rust holes in the body sides whats that about ... :whistle:

now heres the start of my weekend project

heres the stripped T/J in the booth
Posted Image

the prep and cover work
Posted Image

Posted Image

the wipe down
Posted Image

given it a final blow to make sure any remaining dust is gone
Posted Image

preped and ready to shoot
Posted Image

these are the paint products the capt. chose for his hard top
Posted Image

dont forget your resperator kids ....this type of paint will really rattle your brain cells .
FAST .
Posted Image

a final tack of the surface
Posted Image

first coat applied
Posted Image

2nd. coat finish shots
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Details .
first i started out the job by washing it down with T115 prep sol cleaner to remove any and all contaminates , then i scuffed the top with 320 grit hand sand
keep in mind that its not wise to dig in to hard because it is a textured finish . then i followed up with a scotch brite pad . then i covered the entire jeep mixed my paint as required .
now with this type of application it is very important to mix properly because just alittle to much catalyst or not enough catalyst will change how the finish looks dramatically . the mixture for this application is 2-1.5-10 % to a cap full of accelerator 9938 .
i then followed up with a wet rag , blow dry, tack rag , applied my 2 coats of top coat , waiting 15 minutes between coats ,
and the capt. has a brandnew ....semi gloss matt finish black hardtop .

thats 1 New tire mounted and balanced in the bag .......Easy money :bounce: :whistle: .....total time 3hrs. 15 minutes .i sorta took my time .......2 more tires to go ..... :amazed: :whistle: :whistle:

#67 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

Looks good. I didn't have a tac rag so I wiped it down w/a clean rag out of the box from Lowe's. No fish-eye either. I like your paint booth better than mine :whistle:

#68 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

View PostRollbar, on Apr 24 2009, 08:33 PM, said:

Looks good. I didn't have a tac rag so I wiped it down w/a clean rag out of the box from Lowe's. No fish-eye either. I like your paint booth better than mine :whistle:

thats not a paint booth lol.....thats the pre prep area you will see the real booth when i post the final paint pics ,,,,,the booth we have is killer ....water drop flow ...exhaust blowers the works ..... :whistle:

#69 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

Wow, I use to work w/a H20 drop flow, it was awesome & U just skimmed off the paint on top of the water.

P.S. ?-I applied a full Qt. to the hood/fenders etc. & a almost a full Qt to the tub's body, is that enough? I guess it's gonna have to be :whistle:

?-If I get one of these in the future and I mix the paint w/reducer w/it last like regular rattle cans for touch up use or will it get hard etc. I have almost two Qt's left and would like to use it for touch up's.

Eastwood Spray can

Posted Image

#70 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

the hard top i just painted this afternoon only took 26.oz's mixed product for 2 full coats.....i can just smell the scent of those new tires already .........got 1 paid for mounted and balanced ....2 more to go ... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

#71 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

?-how many turns did you have your air/paint opened up to. How much pressure did you push tothe gun? I have the same gun and it still works very well.

#72 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

View PostRollbar, on Apr 24 2009, 08:58 PM, said:

?-how many turns did you have your air/paint opened up to. How much pressure did you push tothe gun? I have the same gun and it still works very well.

well of course i had 80psi. continual feed to the gun pot...remember im working with huge company air pressure system . my fan was set at 7in span , air to gun at 40psi
air guaged at hand set 15psi 1st coat 22 psi 2nd .

keep in mind with the industrial air feed at work we have endless air feed supply .

#73 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Thanks, I should have turned mine down some but w/the OD it really didn't hurt much. What would U recomend (@ 80PSI continual feed if not more) the PSI for one of these guns (Binks) when shooting. My pattern was about 6-7" but I had a cloud in my paint booth :whistle:

#74 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:04 AM

a cloud of overspray is pretty much the norm. when your not using an HVLP . ( HVLP= High Volume Low Pressure ) for those that dont know , i dont really care for those types of guns to begin with ...im very partial to the power of my binks2001 .

i forgot to add this pic last night

this is the T115 prep sol pre clean this stuff is the best

Posted Image

however its not recommended for use by the general public . thats why you wont find it at auto zone or pep boys , or tractor supply .

gloves and resperator is highly recommended when using this cleaning product , this stuff will kill your brain cells real fast . but its great stuff and really does a super job of contaminate removal .

Warning : for those of you that hinge on just a few cells left ...use of this product isnt recommended ......... :whistle:

heres the tires im hustlin for this weekend all i need is 3 for the Y/J because i already have 1 brand new 1 .
Posted Image

Posted Image

when i deliver the jeep to the capt. and get paid the order is bein made ....unless somebody shows me a better deal on some 33's by next week .

$587.00 for (3) delivered to my door . pretty good deal i think .

well off to work now ....tonight i will be posting some prep & bodywork shots

#75 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:35 PM

ok gang after a long hard a$$ day i finally acheived my goal of preping and doing the captains 02' T/J jeep a killer paint job . i had a buddy of mine asst. today because i wanted to get it done so i can reassemble tomarrow ......... and have it ready for delivery on monday morn .....:2thumup:

i took a load of pics to many to load here so heres the link check em out ...if you have any questions feel free to ask ..............

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh71/GZ...mview=slideshow

p.s. this is how you deliver a showroom finish to a jeep . the right way ............. :banddrum:

#76 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

They all look but wasn't it suposed to be OD :banddrum: Nice job and sweet paint booth.

#77 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

OD ???? what is OD ???
yeah the spray booth is sweet and big ....in a crunch id say you could stuff 6 jeeps in there maybe packed tight ....its a big 1 . having a booth at your disposal sure makes a difference in your job .....

but hey rollbar did a good job given the elements he was dealing with ....in a booth you can control most of the elements , air flow , dust, contaminates etc , outside like rollbar did his you control NOTHING , i'll take a booth anyday .

#78 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

View PostSkinner1, on Apr 25 2009, 07:58 PM, said:

OD ???? what is OD ???
yeah the spray booth is sweet and big ....in a crunch id say you could stuff 6 jeeps in there maybe packed tight ....its a big 1 . having a booth at your disposal sure makes a difference in your job .....

but hey rollbar did a good job given the elements he was dealing with ....in a booth you can control most of the elements , air flow , dust, contaminates etc , outside like rollbar did his you control NOTHING , i'll take a booth anyday .

Olive Draaaaaabbbb

Ya, it was nice out, a little wind but sunny. I had the Jeep in full sun and it was to hot to the touch (ouch) so I moved it in the shade while we put the plastic over the top. By then it was cooled down to shade temp. Not sure but if I would have shot the Jeep w/the metal that hot, one, it would have dried fast (per coat), and second, well.............what do you have to say about that?

#79 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:28 AM

View PostRollbar, on Apr 25 2009, 10:06 PM, said:

Olive Draaaaaabbbb

Ya, it was nice out, a little wind but sunny. I had the Jeep in full sun and it was to hot to the touch (ouch) so I moved it in the shade while we put the plastic over the top. By then it was cooled down to shade temp. Not sure but if I would have shot the Jeep w/the metal that hot, one, it would have dried fast (per coat), and second, well.............what do you have to say about that?

weeeeeellllllll 1. thats exactly what i mean you had to deal with alot of elements to get your job completed , that why i like a booth anytime ,
2. NO Way would i spray topcoat on a hot metal surface , that truly askin for dry spots and uneven finish .

keep in mind most guys that paint a jeep just wanna pound the paint on etc , and just wanna be done with it because 8 out of 10 times its a trail rig anyway and they dont really care how it looks , hence the use of the dreded and evil :banddrum: RATTLECAN approach ,
i on the other hand have to deal with finishes that there better not be a spec in the hood , or a door panel , and apperance and over-all finish means everything
with the effort involved , the time put in , materials , bodywork etc , the job on this 02' T/J i just did cost this capt. almost $1200.00 which $350 of that was materials and his factory paint kit alone .
as far as my work goes over-all apperance and the delivery of a quality finish is everything . :2thumup: :paint:

Posted Image

#80 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:09 AM

so this morn i got up brite and early went to work and finished the jeep job. got it untaped , detailed it up a bit reassmbled what i took off and it is now ready for delivery . :2thumup:

here is the link to the gallery of the job from start to finish :

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh71/GZ...mview=slideshow

every effort was taken from start to finish to delivery a top quality finish

i can already smell those new tires ............... :paint: :banddrum:

#81 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:49 AM

since i put togeather the photo gallery some of the photos above were moved to that gallery , hence the link was lost but just click on the link above to see all 95 photos of the job . :wacko:

Alright who's next ???.......................... :banned: :read:

And alot of you know me and you know if i paint your jeep its gonna look killer ..............and i will give you execellent advice .

#82 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

this morning i delivered the jeep to the capt. he is very happy with the finish product :wacko:
and now im tire shopping ............ :read: :banned:

#83 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

Lights installed in the grill
Posted Image

Rest can be seen HERE . Page 4, post 113

Question: some say I should paint the grill black?????????????

#84 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

yeah painting the grill black would look good , nice reassemble ....looking real good .. :shock:

#85 User is offline   jimmy 

• Master Sergeant
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

OK, my question...

my friend just had his jeep painted single stage (looks great) and i want to have mine painted the same color it is now (originally it was white and now it is green). the white is showing through in the most "buffed" places on the hood and have some minor rust to fix, not to mention the person who painted it green didn't take the fender flairs off so you can see the white in the corners. my friend painted his jeep with a (sorry i dont know the correct terms) one stage paint??? not base coat /clear coat.

which is better? base coat/ clear coat or the other, one stage?? i want it to look good and last a while. i do go off road, but when i wax it, i want it to look good.

i am gonna take off all the parts like the brackets, lights, and chrome and buy the paint. the body/paint guy is just going to fix the minor rust, prep, and paint. he wants $1,200 to do that in single stage paint. is that a good deal or should i get another quote? and should i go with base coat/clear coat or single stage??

sorry, i know nothing about paint and body, that's my weak side.

thanks for your input/help.

Posted Image
i let the wife drive it every now and then!!!
Posted Image
Jimmy Bass
Treasure Coast Jeep Club

86 CJ-7, 258 CID, 5 spd, 2 1/2" springs, 1" body lift, webber carb, HEI ignition, 30 front, 44 rear, 3.31 gears, and 33x12.50-15 cooper STT's

#86 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

single stage is the paint and clear mixed into 1 ....base coat clear coat is of course the paint and clear seperate .
it sounds like of couse the green is starting to wear thats why you see the white ..

i would reccomend .... base-coat clear coat ...it does cost alittle more but it is more durable then single stage .
the only draw back to the base coat clear coat system is its difficult to touch up .also just make sure who ever does the painting for you knows what they are doing ...
that base coat can be alittle tricky to apply .

yeah $1200.00 seems about right for single stage ...remember like 300 - 400 of that generally is materials alone .

but if your gonna remove everything ...... $1200.00 is alittle costly if your doin all the parts removal yourself .

i myself would charge about $1000.00 for that job but i would need to see it

#87 User is offline   jimmy 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

thanks for the advice i was also going buy the paint. the 1,200 was for body work prep time and paint labor.
im gonna get a diffrent quote!

thanks again for the advice.
Jimmy Bass
Treasure Coast Jeep Club

86 CJ-7, 258 CID, 5 spd, 2 1/2" springs, 1" body lift, webber carb, HEI ignition, 30 front, 44 rear, 3.31 gears, and 33x12.50-15 cooper STT's

#88 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:55 AM

View Postjimmy, on May 21 2009, 04:58 PM, said:

thanks for the advice i was also going buy the paint. the 1,200 was for body work prep time and paint labor.
im gonna get a diffrent quote!

thanks again for the advice.

yeah i would if i were you ...if your stripin it and buying the paint ahead of time ....$1200.00 is alittle steep now if the body was in real ruff shape or something that 1 thing but i dont see $1200.00 worth of work there ...unless the other side of the jeep is all beat up and im just not seein it .

#89 User is offline   Brian 

• Colonel

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

any way to clean a soft top? also mine seem to be pulling out a bit when i drive it. actually sitting in the driveway it seems to come out too. it might just be old and worn. any tips are greatly appreciated!
90 YJ 4.2 - 3" BL / 4" RC Lift / 33x12.5x15 TSL Swampers / Smittybuilt XRC-10
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Member: Square Headlight Intense Team
Member: South Florida Jeep Club
Always looking to get dirty…
…daddy to be... 8/27/10

"If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them"
"Dont quote me on anything i say from knowledge.. only experience"

#90 User is offline   jimmy 

• Master Sergeant

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Finally finished the body work & paint job! Here are some pic's of the problem areas.

Faded & dull paint
Posted Image

Rust on passenger side corner panel
Posted Image

Driver's side corner panel
Posted Image

Posted Image

Under hood hinges
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stripped, ready for body work & paint
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished product
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Custom bumper & hitch cover
Posted Image
Jimmy Bass
Treasure Coast Jeep Club

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic