• 3 Pages +

Computer Fried/Need New One

#61 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

Rollbar, on Mar 12 2009, 10:27 PM, said:

Hey Willy, I got somethig for you. Since I need a job, I can work for you guys screwing things up to see if you all can fix them :) :) since Admin won't let me do it here :shock: :)

:rof: you will keep us very busy :rof:
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#62 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

OK Willy, got the IDE & SATA thingy in.

& Trany Doc would be proud of me, it's made in China

Problem-no directions :airpump:

I have the IDE/SATA head & then I have all these power adapters & a power pack. What's up? It's a 3-N-1 w/power.

Here is where CompUSA get's them. http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Pr...groupcode=I3523 The box top reads Cables Unlimited.

I guess when I get the HD out I can see what is left to connect etc. Here is a pic of the parts.

Start @ the top and that would be considered number 1 then through 5 being the littler red cord.
Posted Image

#63 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

Rollbar, on Mar 17 2009, 08:05 PM, said:

OK Willy, got the IDE & SATA thingy in.

& Trany Doc would be proud of me, it's made in China

Problem-no directions :airpump:

I have the IDE/SATA head & then I have all these power adapters & a power pack. What's up? It's a 3-N-1 w/power.

Here is where CompUSA get's them. http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Pr...groupcode=I3523 The box top reads Cables Unlimited.

I guess when I get the HD out I can see what is left to connect etc. Do I need to take a pic of the parts?

Basically the HD has a ribbon cable and a power cable. The ribbon is the wide gray cable and the power is the 4 wire (yellow, red and 2 blacks) connector.

You plug in the HD to the part of the device that looks like the ribbon cable end and plug in the power from the supplied power adapter the I see in the picture. The smaller red cable is SATA so ignoe that since your HD is EIDE/IDE

This is the wide connector that looks like the ribbon end
Posted Image

Here they have a picture of the power adapter with the 4 wire white plug attached to the black box
Posted Image

Once both are connected and to the AC plug the USB part to the PC and it will detect the drive.

PS: did you receive the package I sent you? I included some extra stuff for you :airpump:
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#64 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:40 PM

No I didn't receive anythng yet, was it in a had package or a yellow air bag.

OK look @ my pic above. So the USB goes to the PC and the yellow read black etc w/the clear end goes to the power lead and then to the HD so the power will feed the HD & when the IDE gray tape is on the adapter end (IDE/SATA) U plug the USB in and there U go.

Now, how do U access the HD or will it just show up under MY COMPUTER and U open it and do..........

#65 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Rollbar, on Mar 17 2009, 08:40 PM, said:

No I didn't receive anythng yet, was it in a had package or a yellow air bag.

OK look @ my pic above. So the USB goes to the PC and the yellow read black etc w/the clear end goes to the power lead and then to the HD so the power will feed the HD & when the IDE gray tape is on the adapter end (IDE/SATA) U plug the USB in and there U go.

Now, how do U access the HD or will it just show up under MY COMPUTER and U open it and do..........

My wife mailed it to you so not sure what it is packeged in.

I think the HD will plug in directly to the device becasue the HD has pins (male) and the device has sockets (female)
Posted Image

I think the AC adapter already has the 4 wire plug that plugs to the HD the extra cables is to convert to other HD type of connectors.

Connect it all but do the USB to PC last.

Yes it will show up in My Computer.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#66 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:54 AM

OK, one last question :nervous: :nono:

When I hook up the old XP HD and get what I want off if it I can delete the OS and all the files or what do I do after that. I could use it as a back up HD correct? If I do, does it need to have a OS on the HD or can it just be used for storage? If used for storage how should it be partitioned or is there something else that needs to be done.

P.S. Admin sure is missing a great opportunity for a PC Help Section w/me as the main adviser :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :) :rof:

#67 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Once all the info is offo f it, you can reuse it. I would reformat it myself. It does not need any OS, it would just be for storing data.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#68 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

JeepinIan, on Mar 18 2009, 12:37 PM, said:

Once all the info is offo f it, you can reuse it. I would reformat it myself. It does not need any OS, it would just be for storing data.

x2
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#69 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:37 PM

So it would be like a USB stick. Just send it to the external HD & it will save it, right. Nothing special, correct.

#70 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

Rollbar, on Mar 18 2009, 03:37 PM, said:

So it would be like a USB stick. Just send it to the external HD & it will save it, right. Nothing special, correct.

correct, just like a USB stick.

PS: Like Ian said format it after you are done before you start using it as a backup HD
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#71 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:45 PM

OK thanks. Sooooooooooo, If I want to back up my VISTA laptop I would go to the back up feature and tell it to back it up on XYZ drive & it would do it except for the OS, correct? Or would it just do everything?

P.S. Haven't received your letter/package yet.

P.S.S. Admin is sure missing out on a great category he could be place in effect on JT :roll: :nurse:

#72 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

Rollbar, on Mar 18 2009, 03:45 PM, said:

OK thanks. Sooooooooooo, If I want to back up my VISTA laptop I would go to the back up feature and tell it to back it up on XYZ drive & it would do it except for the OS, correct? Or would it just do everything?

P.S. Haven't received your letter/package yet.

P.S.S. Admin is sure missing out on a great category he could be place in effect on JT :roll: :nurse:

I always keep my data in a specific location so I can just copy that folder and all my stuff goes with it.

You'll get it, I guess snail mail is getting slower with this slow economy
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#73 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

I mounted the second HD in my computer case. No worries about cables, etc. that way.
Ian Stewart

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#74 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

JeepinIan, on Mar 18 2009, 07:16 PM, said:

I mounted the second HD in my computer case. No worries about cables, etc. that way.

What I like about the device is that helps you recover you data without anyone else doing it. I also do not trust HD as I have had many crash on me. I trust external HD even less because of this I keep duplicate copies of my important stuff. One copy in my main drive and a second copy in an external drive. when either drive crashes you have all your data on the other drive, also the external device he got allows him to buy just the HD instead of the full expternal HD for backup which is more expensive and if it crashes throw it away buy a newone and plug it in.

I have gone thru 3 external drives and now I use one of those devices and it made my life easier.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#75 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

JeepinIan, on Mar 18 2009, 07:16 PM, said:

Good idea Ian & when I get another tower I'll use this one as well.

JeepNWilly, on Mar 18 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

What I like about the device is that helps you recover you data without anyone else doing it. I also do not trust HD as I have had many crash on me. I trust external HD even less because of this I keep duplicate copies of my important stuff. One copy in my main drive and a second copy in an external drive. when either drive crashes you have all your data on the other drive, also the external device he got allows him to buy just the HD instead of the full expternal HD for backup which is more expensive and if it crashes throw it away buy a newone and plug it in.

I have gone thru 3 external drives and now I use one of those devices and it made my life easier.

I think this USB thing will work out just fine as U say Willy. I just need to get all my stuff in one folder But not sure what to put in it. No word docs, right, or is that the data U R taking about. If I re-name everything in Jeep parts I would understand it better :banghead1:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#76 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:43 AM

Rollbar, on Mar 18 2009, 09:47 PM, said:

Good idea Ian & when I get another tower I'll use this one as well.

I think this USB thing will work out just fine as U say Willy. I just need to get all my stuff in one folder But not sure what to put in it. No word docs, right, or is that the data U R taking about. If I re-name everything in Jeep parts I would understand it better :banghead1:

word docs, excel, powerpoint, jeep related information, internet favorite files, photos, videos, CAD drawings, etc....
Anything that you created or anything that is not installed.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#77 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:29 AM

JeepNWilly, on Mar 19 2009, 07:43 AM, said:

word docs, excel, powerpoint, jeep related information, internet favorite files, photos, videos, CAD drawings, etc....
Anything that you created or anything that is not installed.

Exactly, no programs, just data.
Ian Stewart

Zig Ziglar

John Stuart Mill

#78 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

Rollbar, on Mar 17 2009, 08:05 PM, said:

Start @ the top and that would be considered number 1 then through 5 being the littler red cord.
Posted Image

Well, this thing is super easy to use and worked out perfectly. Transfered what I needed and left the rest for now until I have more time.

From the pic---I just usd the top two black items (power pack and the IDE/SATA connector), didn't need the rest for my drive. It's nice having a 40 gig stick :2thumup:

Thanks for everything guys.

Stay tuned cause U never know what U might see to the North :unsure: :rof:
*MY CJ IS YOUR yJ's DADDY*
'48 Willys; '74CJ5; '80CJ7; '84 CJ8; '86 CJ7

*Who Needs A Stinking Manual When You Have A Fat Wallet For Tech Support!*

*What man is a man who does not make the world better*

Support the Central Florida Bible Camp for kids

#79 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

:unsure: I am glad to hear it worked out great.
Don't rush to format your old HD becasue I have encountered situations where I realized something that I forgot after I formatted the drive.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#80 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hey Willy, R U coming to the EJSafari? If so can I bring my L-top and you configure all the files into on folder or what ever U were saying to make it easier. IF not splain it 2 me here.

Thanks,
JimII

P.S. Esto tendrķa que ser hecho antes cualquier cerveza es consumida :)

#81 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

?
IF I format the old HD from the XP tower and use it as a full back up from the Vista L-top will I then have VISTA on the old tower if I hook up the old HD to the old tower if it was working. Or it doesn't work that way.

#82 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:40 PM

Rollbar, on Apr 4 2009, 06:36 PM, said:

?
IF I format the old HD from the XP tower and use it as a full back up from the Vista L-top will I then have VISTA on the old tower if I hook up the old HD to the old tower if it was working. Or it doesn't work that way.

That will not work because each computer uses different hardware.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#83 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:14 AM

JeepinIan, on Mar 7 2009, 03:10 PM, said:

Motherboard CPU bundles

operating systems

I like having my own operating system disc as I don't have to worry about OEM crap.

I just put together a dual core CPU, 2 gig ram, 250 HD for about $500. I am reusing DVD writer form old computer. I figure to buy it would cost about $1K or more.

JeepNWilly, on Mar 8 2009, 06:34 PM, said:

Wow!!!, I spend a few days celebrating my 14th wedding anniversary and look at all I missed.

32 bit or 64 bit. Basically is a larger memory address space the problem is that most software out there are still being developed based on 32bit. Some will work on a 64bit PC but others amy not. I would say stay with 32 bit since not all apps will work on 64 bit like your AutoCad unless you get AutoCad 2009.

I have used http://www.pricewatch.com at tim when building PC's

I KNOW THESE ARE OLD LINKS^^^^^^^^

OK, guy's time to buy or build. It has been almost a yr and things have changed. I would like to get MS7 and get rid of VISTA. I can even remove VISTA off the L-top as well.

Not sure what is on the market but I did check wal-mart and they have a E-machine, 500 gig HD, 4gig ram blah, blah.

I want something fast, efficent and lots of ram. Can spend about 500-650 bucks (office expense). I do have/want to to buy the OS if I build.

It would probablty be faster to buy then build since I am in the middle of the desert and everyting comes by truck.

Please help me out here and if I can order one from T-Direct already done I will.

Needs: Fast, good connection, wireless (or I can use the antenna I just got/on the way), 500 gig HD-minium, 4 gig ram minium (would like 8 :2thumup: ), dual or quad processer, MS7OSmight have to buy MS-office/small business but $$.

#84 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Rollbar, on Jan 22 2010, 03:14 AM, said:

Please help me out here and if I can order one from T-Direct already done I will.

I think TiredPete works for T-Direct.
Willy
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#85 User is offline   Rollbar 

• Commander

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

Thanks, just pmed him

Share this topic: