Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WJ Tail light Repair

#1 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

I'm sure other WJ owners know this, as well as other observent drivers. But I got the urge to write it after I saw 2 WJs this evening with the same issue.

My 2002 Grand Cherokee also had this problem a few months back.

The issue - During regular driving, both tail lamps will function just fine. The problem is at night. With the headlamps on, both rear tail lamps also come on. But unknown to the driver, when the brake pedal is pressed with the headlamps on, one or both tail lights go out. As soon as the brake is let off, the lights go back on (running light mode)

I've seen more and more Jeep WJs doing this lately, mine included. It took awile for me to figure out what was going on. Finally had a slow day at the shop a few months back to bring in my truck, and figure things out -

On WJs, the tail light and brake light are one shared light. To do this, Chrylser made a sort of 3 way switch. (sorry, no pictures to illistrate)

When you remove the light socket, you'll notice 3 pairs of metal connectors (thats 6 metal tabs in all) These overtime tend to move around, and eventually loose contact. Instead of going through light bulbs, or turning to wiring issues, simply take a pair of pliers and twist the socket snug again.

Avoid tickets, headaches and hassles.
In Loving memory of my Caitiebaby..
June 26. 1988 - August 29, 2008

2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Full ACR suspension swap, 2" lowering springs, 17" SRT rims, CAI, Cat - Back, 5 speed, stage 2 clutch, strut tower bars, sway bars - Autocross Car/Daily Driver

1990 Jeep XJ - Gettin ready to make a scene.

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#2 User is offline   JeepinIan 

• Major General
  • View gallery

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:01 AM

BAsd ground is what you have just described. The socket being loose does not allow the lights to ground when the brake is pressed. When the brake is not depressed, the lights ground through the brake light circuit.
Ian Stewart

If you don't fight for the trails, there won't be any trails to fight for.

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.
Zig Ziglar

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ....

John Stuart Mill

#3 User is offline   Lulu Smiles 

• Captain

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:01 AM

This happened on my Other Jeep. Yes, you can tweak the contacts but they will continue to randomly go out again. I've been told that the lamp assembly should eventually be replaced.
SMILES - former SFJC member - no modifications.
Lulu - Black & Tan German Shepherd - can read: Fun with Lulu, RIP May 25, 2021
Blue - '01 TJ Wrangler Sport - 2.5" lift on 33's sold when I moved to Italy

Frieda - Our first "Jeep" in Italy was a '98 Honda Civic, but Lulu didn't know it was really a car.
Rosie - '11 Jeep Compass Limited

"Well-behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic