JEEPTALK.net: Need Computer Advice - JEEPTALK.net

Page 1 of 1

Need Computer Advice

#1 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

Not really too good with computers, but I know enough to get what I want out of it.

First off - The desktop runs fine, you can fire it up, less then a minute later your on the internet. Its a pimp. But I want more :2thumup:

Considering its a 2002 Computer, it could still blow the doors off most everything out there IMO.

2002 Dell Demension 3000

Windows XP Pro SP2

Pentium 4 2.80 Ghz

Thats about all I havent touched.. :cook1:

Upgrades include a NVIDIA G-Force 6200 OC Graphics Card

22" Magnavox HD Flatscreen

Now running an extra gig of DDR memory, now sitting at 1.25

I defrag every weekend, have the latest version of McaFee Security Suite, and my buddy who works for Geeksquad came over a few weeks ago and tuned the hell out of it. Its fast. But I want more power!! muhahaha

My favorite game on here is Flight Sim X, and it works alright. My question is - whats the best deal on DDR SDRam? I have a Kinston stick now, and can still upgrade the other stick, but what to choose?

For Example, Best Buy has 2 sticks for sale.

1 - Corisar 1 Gig, 400 Mhz, PC3200
2 - Kingston 1Gig, 333 Mhz PC2700

How much of a difference am I gonna see with the Mhz? And what does the PC number mean? There has to be something signifigant, cause the Kingston is half the price of the Corisar.

Any insight would be appreciated.
In Loving memory of my Caitiebaby..
June 26. 1988 - August 29, 2008

2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Full ACR suspension swap, 2" lowering springs, 17" SRT rims, CAI, Cat - Back, 5 speed, stage 2 clutch, strut tower bars, sway bars - Autocross Car/Daily Driver

1990 Jeep XJ - Gettin ready to make a scene.

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#2 User is offline   Skinner1 

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Group: Banned

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

if im not mistaken the Corisar 400Mhz PC3200 will just give you faster performance and responce . and better overall quality .the higher the Mhz of course the faster it will run.
but the more info you cram into it ...is just like anything else it will slow it back down . like anything else you get what you pay for .

#3 User is offline   JeepNWilly 

• Brigadier General
  • View gallery
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:46 PM

The faster the ram the better and also the more ram you can get the better windows will run. Now you want to keep your memory the same type so check with you computer specs to see what you have and go from there but if your PC can handle faster ram than I would replace them with the same type.
Willy
2006 Wrangler X , 2014 JK Unlimited Sport
Keep Calm And Wave On
Pics:

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

Just got home from Best Buy. Found they had a 1 gig stick from Kingston of DDR for like 45 bucks. Threw that in there and uhhh....

Wow.

2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Full ACR suspension swap, 2" lowering springs, 17" SRT rims, CAI, Cat - Back, 5 speed, stage 2 clutch, strut tower bars, sway bars - Autocross Car/Daily Driver

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#5 User is offline   sbmonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

To add a little to this, DDR memeory must be run in pairs to run with Double Data Rate. Check your motherboard, and determine whether you have 4 memory banks or 2. If you have four, then find out which slots you must fill first and fill those with 2 of the exact same memory. If you have any other memory in your computer along with the new, they must also be the same speed or your memory will run at the the frequency of the slowest installed memory.

#6 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

Yeah I was warned of that. Both chips are PC2700 running at 333 mhz each. Short from getting a new motherboard for a better processer, I'm out of ideas. I've modded this thing pretty well. The only other thing I'm considering is replacing the 80mm fan with a 92 high flow with lower amp draw fan.. or possibly liquid cooling ... :2thumup:

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

#7 User is offline   SuperDave1984 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

Try crucial.com. They are usually the lowest price on memory. Also, dump McAfee. It hogs resources. Get Avast. It's free, better and much easier on the resources. If you want a firewall, go Zone Alarm. Also free. Or Comodo. Also free. And pairs of RAM are always slightly faster than one stick. But be sure they are matching pairs. Same brand is even better.

#8 User is offline   BustedKnuckl 

• Captain

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

I had Norton, you wanna talk about a hog! It was really holding me back.

I have Comcast Cable Internet, and saw an ad on TV saying you get McAfee free, the suite eddition ($120)

Sure enough they stand behind it and I was able to download McAfee free. Finally got rid of Norton too.

www.FortMyersRacing.net
www.SWFLRacing.com
www.SouthernMudding.com

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply