Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CV DriveShaft Rebuild

#1 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander
  • Group: GlobalMod

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

Pictures Tell it all. :2thumup: There are different techniques and tools for replacing the caps. :1thumb:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New Part, Old Part
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
El Niņo
Experience is defined as something you get, after you need it.
Give the world the best you have. The best will come back to you...

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." 9th Commandment.
"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.
Wheeling Gallery ----- E-Mail
Life Member: South Florida Jeep Club

#2 User is offline   sbmonkey 

• First Lieutenant
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

I am doing this rebuild now, but cannot figure out whose stupid driveshaft I have for the front. The centering ball has a flat zerk and factory front DSs do not. So I am stuck. I would certainly use the tool verses hammer to do the job also.

#3 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

View Postxraydivr, on Dec 9 2008, 04:55 PM, said:

not to be critical but that would be a dbl cardon type of driveshaft. not a cv shaft

Good point but to be more technical it is actually a "Double Cardon Joint CV Driveshaft"

Mostly referred to for short in the industry as a "CV"
Most have problems with long name and pronunciations such as a "Cardon". :2thumbdown:

View Postsbmonkey, on Dec 9 2008, 06:59 PM, said:

I am doing this rebuild now, but cannot figure out whose stupid driveshaft I have for the front. The centering ball has a flat zerk and factory front DSs do not. So I am stuck. I would certainly use the tool verses hammer to do the job also.

You might want to call Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shaft, you just might be able to convert a few things. :puke:
El Niņo

"Speak not Evil of the absent for it is unjust." George Washington, Rule 89 of Civility and Decent Behavior.

#4 User is offline   YellowSub2000 

• Major

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

Weird, I just did this, this past Sunday. I rebuilt the part you replaced. There was no grease in it, but nothing was damaged. The only damage what the rubber skirt that covers the part you replaced, cracking, but wasn't bad. I figure if I'm going in water, whether that part is there or not, water is still going to get in.
No more Jeep. :(

Thank you to all of those whom have helped me through the years. There have been some amazing rides and events.

#5 User is offline   sbmonkey 

• First Lieutenant

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

View PostYellowSub2000, on Dec 10 2008, 09:41 AM, said:

Weird, I just did this, this past Sunday. I rebuilt the part you replaced. There was no grease in it, but nothing was damaged. The only damage what the rubber skirt that covers the part you replaced, cracking, but wasn't bad. I figure if I'm going in water, whether that part is there or not, water is still going to get in.

You rebuilt the centering ball yoke? I am about to do this same rebuild but thought I would just replace it. Is there even a rebuild kit for that?

#6 User is offline   Jim B 

• Commander

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

View PostYellowSub2000, on Dec 10 2008, 09:41 AM, said:

There was no grease in it, but nothing was damaged. The only damage what the rubber skirt that covers the part you replaced, cracking, but wasn't bad. I figure if I'm going in water, whether that part is there or not, water is still going to get in.

The rubber is there to retain some of the grease and smoother ball travel. One needs to maintain the vehicle by proper greasing at intervals or when submerged in water, mud, etc. EACH TIME... don't let it go for more than a day.

View Postsbmonkey, on Dec 10 2008, 09:59 PM, said:

You rebuilt the centering ball yoke? I am about to do this same rebuild but thought I would just replace it. Is there even a rebuild kit for that?

Replace it if you see any sign of damage period. :yahoo:

Note:
These are not my pictures and not my drive shaft. A good friend sent them to me and I posted these so that people can get an idea on how it is done. I have been maintaining my CV for 10+ years and only had to take it apart once to see that all was in top shape which it was. I regularly grease all my ujoints (I do not over grease which is not good for the seals) and have been problem free unless I break one on the trail which is usually at the Diff end.
El Niņo

#7 User is offline   YellowSub2000 

• Major

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

View Postsbmonkey, on Dec 10 2008, 09:59 PM, said:

I inspected all the parts, spring, needle bearings and such. There wasn't any damage that I could see. So I removed the needle bearings(Careful they are small), brake cleaned the heck out of it, put new Lucas grease in it, and carefully put each bearing back in place.
No more Jeep. :(

Thank you to all of those whom have helped me through the years. There have been some amazing rides and events.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic